IMF Chairman Arrested for Sexual Assault by NYPD

Started by Drakken, May 14, 2011, 09:26:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Quote from: katmai on May 18, 2011, 01:28:16 PM
The sofitel in Philly was pretty nice. At least back when stayed at it.

At least you can talk to the cleaning staff. The rest of us aren't so lucky.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

alfred russel

I spent some time in a Mecure (run by Accor, the same people as Sofitel, but a notch lower in quality) in Poland and it was a hellhole. The reward program sucks too. Maybe Accor in Poland is not very good.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

garbon

Quote from: alfred russel on May 18, 2011, 01:34:08 PM
I spent some time in a Mecure (run by Accor, the same people as Sofitel, but a notch lower in quality) in Poland and it was a hellhole. The reward program sucks too. Maybe Accor in Poland is not very good.

Martipologist.  :yucky:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

katmai

Quote from: The Brain on May 18, 2011, 01:31:15 PM
Quote from: katmai on May 18, 2011, 01:28:16 PM
The sofitel in Philly was pretty nice. At least back when stayed at it.

At least you can talk to the cleaning staff. The rest of us aren't so lucky.

Nah i think they were all euros there :P
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Ideologue

Quote from: Slargos on May 17, 2011, 06:43:57 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 17, 2011, 06:38:27 PM
Duh, everybody knows France loves rape since Depardieu made it cool.

Thank heaven for little girls
For little girls get bigger every day!

They grow up in the most delightful way!
Those little eyes so helpless and appealing
One day will flash and send you crashin thru the ceilin
Thank heaven for them all,
No matter where no matter who
For without them,
what would little boys do?

That movie's not really all that funny, but that was one hilarious fucking scene.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

dps

Quote from: alfred russel on May 18, 2011, 01:34:08 PM

Accor?  The Motel 6 owners?  Ok, I can kind of see where Marti's disdain comes from.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: dps on May 18, 2011, 02:14:48 PM
Accor?  The Motel 6 owners?  Ok, I can kind of see where Marti's disdain comes from.

That makes no sense.
That is like saying that Mouton Rotchschild most be crap b/c Mouton Cadet is cheap plonk.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Slargos

Quote from: Ideologue on May 18, 2011, 02:14:27 PM
Quote from: Slargos on May 17, 2011, 06:43:57 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 17, 2011, 06:38:27 PM
Duh, everybody knows France loves rape since Depardieu made it cool.

For little girls get bigger every day!

They grow up in the most delightful way!
Those little eyes so helpless and appealing
One day will flash and send you crashin thru the ceilin
Thank heaven for them all,
No matter where no matter who
For without them,
what would little boys do?

That movie's not really all that funny, but that was one hilarious fucking scene.

Concur.  :D

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

CountDeMoney

Quote from: grumbler on May 18, 2011, 01:30:13 PM
Quote from: garbon on May 18, 2011, 01:25:59 PM
Seeing as how Marti hangs out with the movers and shakers of the world, I defer to his judgment about what is in and what is out. -_- 
Exactly.  Loser has-beens like the head of the IMF stay at hotels like the Sofitel; Marti and his mover-and-shaker pals stay in much better digs.

Sir Hockey said Marriott has the best bedding over anything Westin has.

Zoupa

Quote from: grumbler on May 18, 2011, 01:24:37 PM
Quote from: Zoupa on May 18, 2011, 12:13:46 AM
Thank you for your contribution old man. You bring so much to every thread.
Just curious:  do you think these tired, cliched personal attacks improve, or damage, your rep here at Languish?

It's not a personal attack dude. You're old, and you're a man. Those are facts.

As to my "rep on Languish"?  :lol: Are you for real?

Thing is, in most threads, you don't bring anything with your posts. 90% of them is an unfunny and unnecessary jab at someone, or an "Actually, you're wrong" know-it-all BS.

I was gonna say you were garbonesque with your unnecessary posts, but our favourite blue-haired sodomite has the excuse of youth and boredom, and in any case, his posts got much better over the last year. Yours are getting worse.

Anyways. I don't hate you or anything. You're just tiresome dude.

citizen k

QuoteNY police look for DNA in hotel carpet in IMF case
By TOM HAYS AND COLLEEN LONG, Associated Press

NEW YORK – Investigators cut out a piece of carpet in a painstaking search of a penthouse suite for DNA evidence in IMF chief Dominique Strauss-Kahn's sex assault case, law enforcement officials said Wednesday as he made a new bid to get out of jail.

New York detectives and prosecutors believe the carpet in the hotel room may contain Strauss-Kahn's semen, spat out after an episode of forced oral sex by a hotel maid, the officials told The Associated Press.

Strauss-Kahn, jailed at Rikers Island since Monday, made a second appeal for bail and proposed to be confined to his daughter's Manhattan home 24 hours a day with electronic monitoring. He was set for another hearing Thursday afternoon.

The French politician said in court papers that he had surrendered his passport and wouldn't flee the country. "I do not intend to leave the United States of America without the permission of the New York Court," he said.

In addition to examining the Sofitel Hotel suite for further potential DNA evidence, investigators were looking at the maid's keycard to determine whether she used it to enter the room, and how long she was there, officials said.

One of the officials said that the DNA testing was being "fast-tracked" but that the results could still be a few days away.

The two officials spoke to the AP on condition of anonymity because neither was authorized to speak about the case publicly and because it has gone to a grand jury.

The maid, a 32-year-old immigrant from the West African nation of Guinea, told police that the 62-year-old Strauss-Kahn came out of the bathroom naked, chased her down, forced her to perform oral sex on him and tried to remove her underwear before she broke free and fled the room.

The AP does not identify alleged victims of sex crimes unless they agree to it.

Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly declined to comment Wednesday on the details of the evidence-gathering but said results of any DNA and other testing have not yet come back. He said the detectives investigating the case found the maid's story believable.

"Obviously, the credibility of the complainant is a factor in cases of this nature," Kelly said. "One of the things they're trained to look for, and what was reported to me early on, was that the complainant was credible."

One of Strauss-Kahn's attorneys, Benjamin Brafman, said at his client's arraignment this week that the forensic evidence "will not be consistent with a forcible encounter." That led to speculation the defense would argue it was consensual sex.

The woman's lawyer, Jeffrey Shapiro, has dismissed suggestions from some of Strauss-Kahn's defenders that she made up the charges or tried to cover up a consensual encounter.

In court papers filed Wednesday, Strauss-Kahn's attorneys proposed posting $1 million cash bail and confining him to the home of his daughter, Camille, a Columbia University graduate student, 24 hours a day with electronic monitoring.

Strauss-Kahn "is a loving husband and father, and a highly regarded diplomat, politician, lawyer, politician, economist and professor, with no criminal record," his attorneys said in court papers.

The attorneys had proposed similar conditions at an earlier bail hearing but added the promise of home detention Wednesday. A judge denied Strauss-Kahn bail Monday, sending him to an isolated wing of Rikers Island.

The motion for bail also laid out a more precise timeline for Strauss-Kahn's movements while arguing he never tried to flee: It says he checked out of the hotel at 12:28 p.m., went to a lunch appointment a few blocks away at 12:45 p.m. and went to the airport afterward.

"Prior to the flight's departure, Mr. Strauss-Kahn contacted the hotel at which he had been staying in New York to inquire about a cell phone he had left at the hotel," it added. "In a conversation with hotel security, Mr. Strauss-Kahn voluntarily disclosed that he was at John F. Kennedy International Airport and was scheduled to depart for France at 4:40 p.m."

Police on Wednesday offered their own timeline for their response starting with a 911 call at 1:32 p.m. from hotel security saying an employee had been sexually assaulted by a guest. Officers arrived by no later than 1:45 p.m. and summoned paramedics and special victims detectives to the scene, they said.

Manhattan prosecutors didn't immediately comment on the bail motion. The hearing was set for 2:15 p.m. Thursday. Another hearing had been set for Friday, the deadline for prosecutors bring an indictment, agree to a preliminary hearing or release Strauss-Kahn.

Strauss-Kahn is one of France's highest-profile politicians and was seen as a potential candidate for president in next year's elections. His arrest shocked France.

The scandal comes at a critical moment for the International Monetary Fund, which is trying to shore up teetering economies in Europe. The IMF is an immensely powerful agency that loans money to countries to stabilize the world economy. In exchange it often imposes strict austerity measures.

Defense lawyers can raise the issue of bail as many times as they like, and it's common to make new proposals and try again after a client gets high or no bail, said Stuart P. Slotnick, a New York defense lawyer not involved in the Strauss-Kahn case. Such attempts can succeed if a judge is persuaded that new information reduces the perceived risk that the person won't come back to court if released.

Living elsewhere is often seen as raising that risk, but it's not insurmountable, Slotnick said.

In a case like Strauss-Kahn's, bail "is not going to be a slam-dunk, but if they can convince the judge that he's not a risk of flight, that he's going to come back, then he'll get bail," Slotnick said.

CountDeMoney

QuoteStrauss-Kahn, jailed at Rikers Island since Monday, made a second appeal for bail and proposed to be confined to his daughter's Manhattan home 24 hours a day with electronic monitoring. He was set for another hearing Thursday afternoon.

Damn, that's messed up;  at least in Maryland, you have to wait 14 days before you can petition for a second bail review, which is usually declined.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017