Main Menu

Last WWI Combat Vet Has Died

Started by jimmy olsen, May 05, 2011, 01:55:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Camerus

Quote from: The Brain on May 05, 2011, 10:02:45 AM
Quote from: Pitiful Pathos on May 05, 2011, 08:30:22 AM
Quote from: Martinus on May 05, 2011, 02:15:21 AM
The war ended when he was 17. Not exactly someone I would call a "vet".  :rolleyes:

The article said he saw action and lied about his age in order to serve.  Exaggerating one's age in order to fight was pretty common in WW1 - heck, even my great-grandfather did it.

My great-grandfather was much much too old to serve in WW1 at 60. Woulda taken one hell of a lie. I don't even know if he was still alive in 1914. Now my grandfather's younger brother did serve in WW1... :hmm:

Serve whom...?  Sweden?

The Brain

Quote from: Pitiful Pathos on May 05, 2011, 10:13:11 AM
The war ended when he was 17. Not exactly someone I would call a "vet".  :rolleyes:

The article said he saw action and lied about his age in order to serve.  Exaggerating one's age in order to fight was pretty common in WW1 - heck, even my great-grandfather did it.

My great-grandfather was much much too old to serve in WW1 at 60. Woulda taken one hell of a lie. I don't even know if he was still alive in 1914. Now my grandfather's younger brother did serve in WW1... :hmm:

Serve whom...?  Sweden?

Imperial Germany and Finland. His is actually an interesting story that I once told on Old Languish, if you're interested I can give the executive summary.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Camerus

Quote from: The Brain on May 05, 2011, 10:22:23 AM

Serve whom...?  Sweden?

Imperial Germany and Finland. His is actually an interesting story that I once told on Old Languish, if you're interested I can give the executive summary.

Please.   :)

The Brain

Quote from: Pitiful Pathos on May 05, 2011, 10:28:01 AM
Quote from: The Brain on May 05, 2011, 10:22:23 AM

Serve whom...?  Sweden?

Please.   :)

:)

My father's ancestors lived along the Torne river in northern Sweden. Since 1809 the river has marked the border between Sweden and Russia/Finland. The locals lived on both sides of the river with lots of movement between the countries. My grandfather happened to live on the Swedish side in 1914, his younger brother (they were 13 siblings in total IIRC) lived on the Finnish side (Finland was obviously a part of Russia at this time). Like most locals they spoke Finnish. WW1 was seen by Finnish nationalists as a chance to win independence. Russia had earlier disbanded the Finnish armed forces, so it was imperative that young Finns got military training. Just under 2,000 Finns left Finland and went to Germany where the Germans happily trained them and formed them into the 27th Prussian Jäger Battalion. My granduncle was one of those young Finns. Of course leaving the country in wartime to join the army of the enemy was slightly illegal so the trip had to be a bit hush-hush.

Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finnish_J%C3%A4ger_troops

They fought on the Russian front and later were shipped to Finland to fight on the White side in the Civil War. My relative was an NCO when they came back to Finland to fight under Mannerheim and quickly became a Captain. They won the Civil War (duh). The Jägers (as they were known afterwards regardless of which unit they were actually in) continued to form the hard core of the Finnish army through WW2. My granduncle was in the Winter War and Continuation War, survived but died of old age before I was born.

From what I've heard he didn't love Communists... :hmm:

katmai

The brain is Finnish, man things make so much more sense now!
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

The Brain

Camerus

Agelastus

On the subject of the thread...RIP. :(

And on the veteran issue? I think if he saw action as it says he did then it is rather crass to dispute whether or not he was a genuine veteran.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

alfred russel

According to wiki he ended up on the Revenge in 1917, so he probably served somewhere between 10-22 months on a combat ship in and around a warzone. The article said he saw action. If that isn't enough time to qualify for "veteran" status, then a lot of people who are traditionally thought of as veterans, such the US western front troops that entered combat on D - Day or one tour vietnam veterans aren't either.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014