Main Menu

Tea Party!

Started by Savonarola, April 15, 2009, 02:30:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Savonarola

If only we could deprt Joe the Plumber back to Ohio  :(

QuoteTea Party protest movement heats up in Lansing
BY DAWSON BELL • FREE PRESS LANSING BUREAU • April 15, 2009

LANSING – The grounds of the state Capitol were packed with protesters today, as several thousand Michiganders turned out for one of the national Tea Party demonstrations against excess taxation, government regulation and assorted other maladies.

An estimated 3,000 to 4,000 people showed up for the midday event, one of dozens across the state and hundreds nationally. The Lansing event was headlined by Joe Wurzelbacher, the Ohio native made famous duing campaign 2008 as "Joe the Plumber" after he confronted then-candidate Barack Obama about raising taxes.

Wurzelbacher's message, like that of other speakers and most of the throng on the lawn, was generally anti-Obama and against the current direction of the federal government. But the crowd – bearing one of the most impressive collection of homemade signs ever assembled at the Capitol -- targeted a whole range of grievances, including Michigan Gov. Jennifer Granholm, the Federal Reserve and gun control.

Sharon Heide, 52, a nurse from Allen Park who took the day off from work to attend the rally at the Capitol, brought one that read: "Big Government Regulation Got Us Into This Mess, More of the Same Won't Bail Us Out."

Heide said government has gotten too big, and individual freedoms too small.

"Government is to protect us in war," she said. "Let's get back to the Constitution. We're supposed to be individuals, that's what made this country great. They're trying to control everything we do."

Scott Hagerstrom of Americans for Prosperity, one of the organizers of the Lansing protest, said the Tea Parties are not aimed at any single government policy, but against a rapid escalation of government intrusion into private lives and economic activity. The aim is to "get people involved," he said.

In the 90's I lived by Oakland County's major post office in Royal Oak, Michigan.  On April 15 the city would block streets in order to funnel last minute tax filers to the post office.  Every year a number of malcontents would show up with home made signs protesting the government.  In those days the Michigan Militia would show up basking in their then new found glory brought on by the Oklahoma City Bombing.  They wore hunter camouflage and sported ZZ-Top beards.  This article reminded me of that.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

derspiess

So what's wrong with people protesting government expansion & wasteful spending?  :huh:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Ed Anger

Quote from: Savonarola on April 15, 2009, 02:30:33 PM
If only we could deprt Joe the Plumber back to Ohio  :(

Oh no, you keep him.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Savonarola

Quote from: derspiess on April 15, 2009, 02:32:05 PM
So what's wrong with people protesting government expansion & wasteful spending?  :huh:

It's a waste of time.  Protests cannot succeed without giant puppets.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Malthus

They'd get a better turnout if they called it a "teabagging party".
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

derspiess

Quote from: Savonarola on April 15, 2009, 02:35:33 PM
Quote from: derspiess on April 15, 2009, 02:32:05 PM

It's a waste of time.  Protests cannot succeed without giant puppets.

Well, true.  Conservatives & Libertarians generally suck at protesting, because as the more productive members of society, they're usually too busy working.  Having fringe loonies (a la Michigan Militia) pitch in to fill the void doesn't help things.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

KRonn

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/30227452/

Anti-tax 'tea parties' being held across U.S.

Thousands of protesters, some dressed like Revolutionary War soldiers and most waving signs with anti-tax slogans, gathered around the nation Wednesday for a series of rallies modeled after the original Boston Tea Party.

They chose the income tax filing deadline to express their displeasure with government spending since President Barack Obama took office.

The Brain

Don't they understand that taxes are for their own good?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Valmy

'Taxation with Representation is Really Annoying!'

Just doesn't inspire as much as the old slogan.

I am glad to finally see people protesting government debt.  I mean fuck we have deficit spending for what...40 years?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: KRonn on April 15, 2009, 02:48:41 PM
They chose the income tax filing deadline to express their displeasure with government spending since President Barack Obama took office.

Huh?  Obama has pretty much done the exact same thing as his predecessors.  What has changed?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Brain

Quote from: Valmy on April 15, 2009, 02:55:59 PM

Huh?  Obama has pretty much done the exact same thing as his predecessors.  What has changed?

:bleeding:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

vinraith

1. He's a demoncrat

2. He's a secret muslim

3. He said the US isn't a Christian nation

4. He's an evilutionist

5. He's a darkie

6. He stole their jerbs

I think that about covers it, but I'm open to things I've missed. The "gubmint is evil" crowd is just doing what they always do, but the new members of the movement...

Faeelin

He restored the tax levels to Clinton years, and is continuing the Republican policy of deficit spending; but instead of it being for a disastrous, disastrous war, it's for useless things, like ending the Recession.

Faeelin

Summed up pretty well  here:

QuoteTea Partiers are hoping that if they mimic the energy of anti-war protests and the savvy of Obama's new media operation, that at some point an actual movement will spawn.  Getting together a bunch of pissed off middle-aged white people with no clue about how the tax system works in public areas will generate a coherent agenda designed to combat the stimulus; if it gets enough media coverage, they will DOMINATE THE AGENDA.

It's like taping a horn to a horse and waiting for it to alight on a magic cloud of stardust and pixies. 

http://pandagon.net/index.php/site/unicorn_nutson_your_face/#When:18:31:00Z

garbon

Quote from: Malthus on April 15, 2009, 02:39:53 PM
They'd get a better turnout if they called it a "teabagging party".

Some news outlets are reporting it that way. ^_^

The radio this morning told me that I could teabag Pelosi!

http://teaparty.gop.com/Default.aspx
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.