News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

How good is Netflix?

Started by viper37, April 23, 2011, 05:48:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

How good is the quality?  Is it as good as a Blu-Ray?
If I have the choice between downloading the torrent file and using Netflix, wich will provide me with the best viewing quality on a HDTV?
How good is the selection?  Do they have all of the most popular movies & tv series?  Browsing the catalog while not a member gives me only a few titles, not so recent...

The price is okay, I don't mind paying, so long as I have unlimited internet access here.  But I'm worried about the quality.  I tried tou.tv , the free internet service for Quebec tv but I didn't quite like the quality of the stuff.

EDIT: What BB said.  Only streaming here, so I'm interested in your toughts on the streaming portion of Netflix.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

katmai

?

Netflix has both a streaming system and option to have dvd/blue rays sent to you.
But from your question i gather only asking about streaming, the choice amongst HD quality choices is small but ever growing.

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Barrister

Quote from: katmai on April 23, 2011, 05:55:55 PM
?

Netflix has both a streaming system and option to have dvd/blue rays sent to you.
But from your question i gather only asking about streaming, the choice amongst HD quality choices is small but ever growing.

Netflix only just came to Canada.  Streaming only.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

katmai

You pathetic backwards fucks.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

citizen k

I find their streaming selection rather limited as far as new releases go. They have T.V. series that are pretty good.

garbon

Quote from: citizen k on April 23, 2011, 06:14:42 PM
I find their streaming selection rather limited as far as new releases go. They have T.V. series that are pretty good.

Really? I find their new releases catalog to be better than their backlog.

I'm a fan, I split it with my sister-roommate.  Only downside for me is subtitles (I oddly like to have them on whenever possible) as they don't exist for most titles and are often mis-synched when present.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Barrister

Viper, I'm not certain that the titles available in Canada are the same as those available in the US.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

katmai

that was gonna be my next question, if you guys get same titles.

For new stuff it seems mostly tied with the Starz networks.

citizen k

Quote from: garbon on April 23, 2011, 06:18:57 PMOnly downside for me is subtitles (I oddly like to have them on whenever possible)

me too

Camerus

The selection in Canada is far more limited than in the US.  I am a subscriber, but mostly just for TV shows.  You can burn through the selection of watchable movies fairly quickly. I will probably cancel my membership soon.

CountDeMoney

Netflix does a decent job on its new releases for streaming;  their backlog is getting filled, finally.  But it's not weak enough to make any film buff steer away from it, as it's only getting bigger every week.

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on April 23, 2011, 06:19:44 PM
Viper, I'm not certain that the titles available in Canada are the same as those available in the US.
duh!  I didn't account for that.

Oh well.  I'll keep torrenting the good tv series then.  Local DVD rental isn't that good.  And they barely have any Blu Rays.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Eddie Teach

If you're looking for specific movies to watch, their online collection will leave you wanting more than not. But if you're just looking for movies that seem worth watching, their catalog is plenty to keep you busy. I have over a hundred movies in my instant queue and it just keeps growing.

I am very happy with Netflix, but I also get movies in the mail, typically the newer releases I'm more interested in.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

MadImmortalMan

90% of my viewing is now netflix. It's incredibly great.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers