News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Game of thrones - the books

Started by viper37, April 18, 2011, 09:25:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

Berkut, how does it compare to, say, Robert Jordan's Grand Saga Wheel of Time?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Berkut

Quote from: Grey Fox on April 19, 2011, 11:09:46 AM

Vastly superior. The WoT is not as bad as I once thought it was, but it is kids fair, really. You keep reading it (if you do at all) because it is comfortable, and you know it isn't going to challenge, except maybe the challenge of staying awake. It shoots for mediocrity and hits its mark solidly.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Richard Hakluyt

My kindle arrived so I bought the first book and started reading.........11% so far, not sure what that is in pages............anyway, this is good stuff  :) !

Yet another triumph for languish  :D

grumbler

Quote from: Berkut on April 19, 2011, 11:19:45 AM
Vastly superior. The WoT is not as bad as I once thought it was, but it is kids fair, really. You keep reading it (if you do at all) because it is comfortable, and you know it isn't going to challenge, except maybe the challenge of staying awake. It shoots for mediocrity and hits its mark solidly.
I don't think martin ever hits Jordan's level of mediocrity in book four, but he makes a solid attempt.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Berkut

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on April 19, 2011, 11:20:49 AM
My kindle arrived so I bought the first book and started reading.........11% so far, not sure what that is in pages............anyway, this is good stuff  :) !

Yet another triumph for languish Berkut  :D

FYP :)

0 rows returned

Grey Fox

Quote from: Berkut on April 19, 2011, 11:19:45 AM

I've started the first book (actually in the French translation, it's the second book) & own the third one. I don't think I'll continue after that one.

What do you guys think of Trudi Canavan's The Black Magician trilogy ? I've read the first book & the second isn't the pile. Altho, most of my enjoyment of it comes from the perfectly executed translation, which is quite rare.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Valmy

Quote from: Gups on April 19, 2011, 09:51:29 AM
IIRC (and I've only read the book once, when it came out) the Brienne, Iron Island and Dorne plots were the bulk of it and they were just boring.

Wait what?  Those two plots only got a few chapters and they were pretty packed full of goings-on  Now Brienne I can understand.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Martinus

Speaking of which I learned of the series still while on Paradox but probably from Berkut too. So thanks. :thumbsup:

Cecil

A song of long name is rated average to me.

Got some good parts but snored my way through much of the books.

KRonn

I've been reading this one lately, off and on. I like it pretty well.

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 18, 2011, 10:13:28 PM
Personally, I'm going to take a break from O'Connor, Steinbeck and various nonfictions to start the WH40K "Horus Heresy" series and melt my brain.
:thumbsup:  I've rather enjoyed them.  They're good for some pulp level adventure sci fi.  I just nabbed the SoIaF books and have started the first one.  It's alright so far.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

crazy canuck

I read the series on Berk's recommendation as well.  I agree, even if the series is not finished the books are well worth the read.

The main complaint I have about book 4 is that the main story lines that had the most interest for me were dropped for what seemed a lengthy detour.

It will take some effort to get it all back on track in a way that makes book 4 look like more than an effort to lengthen the series.

Berkut

Fuck, I should be getting some kind of commission.

I had no idea this many people give a shit what I think about anything.

I wish my wife listened to me this much...

0 rows returned

The Brain

It is not the rage they fear; it is your divine power.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Berkut

Quote from: The Brain on April 19, 2011, 03:37:42 PM
It is not the rage they fear; it is your divine power.

I am not vegan though.

0 rows returned