News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Historical query: Grand Fleet, outbreak of WW1

Started by Warspite, April 14, 2011, 07:31:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Warspite

I'm trying to fact-check a document: my net connection sucks and I'm away from all my reference books for the next few days.

Do any naval grognards here (*cough* grumbler) know whether the Grand Fleet assumed action stations at Scapa Flow on 31 July 1914, or on 1 August 1914?

First correct answer gets an internet pint on me.
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

grumbler

Quote from: Warspite on April 14, 2011, 07:31:57 AM
I'm trying to fact-check a document: my net connection sucks and I'm away from all my reference books for the next few days.

Do any naval grognards here (*cough* grumbler) know whether the Grand Fleet assumed action stations at Scapa Flow on 31 July 1914, or on 1 August 1914?

First correct answer gets an internet pint on me.
The Royal navy went on a war footing on 28 July, transferred to war stations the night of the 209th/30th, and was declared ready for war on the 31st (i.e. First Fleet was at Scapa).  "actions stations' are something assumed by individual ships.  I believe "war footing" or "fully mobilized" is the phrase you are looking for; if the latter, the date is 3 August.

See The Royal Navy: an illustrated history p. 87 (available via google books when you have a connection).
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Neil

The Home Fleet left Portsmouth July 29th, entered Scapa Flow on July 31st.  However, the Grand Fleet did not do anything until August 4th, as it came into existence with Jellicoe's appointment.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Warspite

" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Threviel

But cwhat would have happened if the HSF had used the window of late '14 early '15 when there was something at least resembling even numbers in the fleets? Could they have succeeded with an early aggressive strategy?

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

grumbler

Quote from: Threviel on April 14, 2011, 02:46:51 PM
But cwhat would have happened if the HSF had used the window of late '14 early '15 when there was something at least resembling even numbers in the fleets? Could they have succeeded with an early aggressive strategy?
Had they know how crappy the British shells and flashproofing were, they might have.  The German near-parity wasn't as near parity as raw numbers would suggest, though, because the HSF lacked the scouting and screening elements they needed.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Neil

Quote from: grumbler on April 14, 2011, 03:17:14 PM
Quote from: Threviel on April 14, 2011, 02:46:51 PM
Had they know how crappy the British shells and flashproofing were, they might have.  The German near-parity wasn't as near parity as raw numbers would suggest, though, because the HSF lacked the scouting and screening elements they needed.
Yeah, the German scouts were out commerce raiding under Spee, and their annihilation was costly.

And even then, the battlefleet had the Deutchlands and the Nassaus hanging around its neck.  At the beginning of the war, the Germans only had the 5 Kaisers and the 4 Ostfrieslands that were ready for action and not seriously compromised, and even the Ostfrieslands were a bit vulnerable because of the hex turret layout.

Threviel

Wouldn't german flash-protection be equally bad without the experience of a battlecruiser almost blowing up?

grumbler

Quote from: Threviel on April 15, 2011, 08:09:27 AM
Wouldn't german flash-protection be equally bad without the experience of a battlecruiser almost blowing up?
The Germans used a more stable powder than the British cordite formulation and had better anti-flash protection from the start (not being as focused on rate of fire), though their measures were not adequate (as Seydlitz found at Dogger bank).  The Germans always stored powder lowest in the magazine; the Brits stored shells lowest until after Jutland.

The Brits lost more than just the battle cruisers due to their ammunition and magazine policies; Good Hope at Coronel suffered a fatal ammunition fire, Defence was lost with all hands when an initially small magazine fire spread throughout the ship and blew it open, and several battleships were almost lost due to secondary magazine fires.

Bayraktar!

jimmy olsen

Quote from: grumbler on April 15, 2011, 08:37:59 AMDefence was lost with all hands when an initially small magazine fire spread throughout the ship and blew it open, and several battleships were almost lost due to secondary magazine fires.
That would have been an interesting turn of events.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Warspite

Quote from: grumbler on April 15, 2011, 08:37:59 AM
The Brits lost more than just the battle cruisers due to their ammunition and magazine policies; Good Hope at Coronel suffered a fatal ammunition fire, Defence was lost with all hands when an initially small magazine fire spread throughout the ship and blew it open, and several battleships were almost lost due to secondary magazine fires.

What was the reason for this series of potentially devestating flaws? Design by committee? Design by retards? Bad luck of having to learn these lessons in wartime?

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Threviel

Quote from: grumbler on April 15, 2011, 08:37:59 AM
Quote from: Threviel on April 15, 2011, 08:09:27 AM
The Germans used a more stable powder than the British cordite formulation and had better anti-flash protection from the start (not being as focused on rate of fire), though their measures were not adequate (as Seydlitz found at Dogger bank).  The Germans always stored powder lowest in the magazine; the Brits stored shells lowest until after Jutland.

How did other navies handle this? I know the japs lost at least one battleship in WW2 to magazine explosion, but I don't know the reasons behind. How good flash-protection did the austrians, french and italians have? Were their ships sound in construction?

grumbler

Quote from: Warspite on April 15, 2011, 10:59:29 AM
What was the reason for this series of potentially devestating flaws? Design by committee? Design by retards? Bad luck of having to learn these lessons in wartime?
Lack of thinking things through.  Powder was much better-protected if lower in the magazine, but also more susceptible to damp.  So, "logic" said to stow powder above the shells, where it would be less exposed to damp. 

The RN worshiped at the alter of firepower at this time, and so created the fastest-firing guns using the most powerful (and quick-burning) powder available.  The thought of what this would do to ship safety wasn't sexy, so wasn't pursued.  Given the aggressive mindset that had served the RN so well (and would serve them well again in WW2), this was understandable.

Bayraktar!