News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Victory for feminism - The wage gap is closed

Started by MadImmortalMan, April 12, 2011, 01:46:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

merithyn

Quote from: Brazen on April 14, 2011, 05:12:27 AM
This is a tangent, but I've joined another forum (I know, I'm a traitor) to do with health and fitness. The membership is mainly female and mainly American. I'm completely shocked at how Yank women define themselves by their partners and families. No joke, about half the forum names are along the lines of:

clintswifemomof4
amysmommy
stayhomemom78
brunosbabe

What's up with that?!

Unsurprisingly, there's a fair amount of breakdowns when they find themselves abandoned.

Welcome to my hell.  <_<

When I dared to self-identify without using "momtotwinsplustwomoreandahusbandtoboot", there was much shock.. and banishment. I avoid the Mommy-pages like the plague because of that, too. Women are an extension of their children and husband and have little value beyond that in our culture. Oh joy!

:x
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Valmy

Quote from: merithyn on April 14, 2011, 12:15:03 PM
When I dared to self-identify without using "momtotwinsplustwomoreandahusbandtoboot", there was much shock.. and banishment. I avoid the Mommy-pages like the plague because of that, too. Women are an extension of their children and husband and have little value beyond that in our culture. Oh joy!

Wait are you suggesting if I go on a mom page and select a handle 'Sarah' or 'Constructionworkerlady' or whatever not mentioning my hubby or kids I will be banned? :yeahright:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

merithyn

Quote from: Valmy on April 14, 2011, 12:41:44 PM

Wait are you suggesting if I go on a mom page and select a handle 'Sarah' or 'Constructionworkerlady' or whatever not mentioning my hubby or kids I will be banned? :yeahright:

Not banned... banished. As in rarely interacted with, talked down to, etc. It may also have been because not every post had a reference to my DD, DS, or DH, too.  :rolleyes:

Valmy

Quote from: merithyn on April 14, 2011, 12:45:31 PM
Not banned... banished. As in rarely interacted with, talked down to, etc. It may also have been because not every post had a reference to my DD, DS, or DH, too.  :rolleyes:

Weird.  Ah well there is a reason I do not seek out places to talk about parenting.  People not only have strong opinions about how you should do it they think you are worse than a child abusing Hitler if you do some other way.  Meh,
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

merithyn

Quote from: Valmy on April 14, 2011, 12:56:21 PM
Weird.  Ah well there is a reason I do not seek out places to talk about parenting.  People not only have strong opinions about how you should do it they think you are worse than a child abusing Hitler if you do some other way.  Meh,

That may have been part of it, too. I wasn't shy in saying, "You know, there's more than one way to do things." or "A bruise won't kill a kid. Let them play!"  :blush:

Malthus

Absolutely.  :lol:

What is odd is that this goes double for people who don't have kids!
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Valmy on April 14, 2011, 12:41:44 PM
Quote from: merithyn on April 14, 2011, 12:15:03 PM

I recommend trying: 'manstealer21' or 'theotherwoman'
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Malthus

Quote from: merithyn on April 14, 2011, 12:57:26 PM

That may have been part of it, too. I wasn't shy in saying, "You know, there's more than one way to do things." or "A bruise won't kill a kid. Let them play!"  :blush:

Face it, you are a Languishista. That means, when interacting with others, you probably don't play nice.  :lol:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Valmy

Quote from: Malthus on April 14, 2011, 01:02:34 PM
Face it, you are a Languishista. That means, when interacting with others, you probably don't play nice.  :lol:

Languish has totally ruined me for other forums.  I cannot help but sarcastically rip apart people now.  It is pretty embarrasing really :blush:

Grey Fox

Quote from: merithyn on April 14, 2011, 12:57:26 PM

This place has made us, such a bunch of asshole. I fear for my kid :(
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

HVC

Quote from: Valmy on April 14, 2011, 01:40:27 PM

Languish has totally ruined me for other forums.  I cannot help but sarcastically rip apart people now.  It is pretty embarrasing really :blush:
I can just see you sarcastically tearing apart that first time mother in the Parenting help forum :lol:
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

HVC

Quote from: Grey Fox on April 14, 2011, 01:41:17 PM
I think we're just a bunch of assholes that found eachother :D. Many have come and fallen by the wayside. only the true assholes remain. The sad truth is not that languish made us what we are today, but that we made languish what it is :ph34r:

Malthus

Quote from: HVC on April 14, 2011, 01:44:24 PM
I think we're just a bunch of assholes that found eachother :D. Many have come and fallen by the wayside. only the true assholes remain. The sad truth is not that languish made us what we are today, but that we made languish what it is :ph34r:

:weep:

Slargos

Quote from: HVC on April 14, 2011, 01:44:24 PM
I think we're just a bunch of assholes that found eachother :D . Many have come and fallen by the wayside. only the true assholes remain. The sad truth is not that languish made us what we are today, but that we made languish what it is :ph34r:

An interesting theory, but ultimately I think you are wrong.

Insensitivity on the scale of a forum like Languish (and let's not kid ourselves, on an internetional [yes, it was deliberate] scale we're kittens playing with yarn) needs to be carefully nurtured and tempered. Too much, too soon, and the core cadre of loutish brutes can't form. Too little, too late and the prospects move on to browner pastures.

Languish represents that fine balance that lets our assholes grow without tearing.  :hmm: