Is it wrong to train your neighbors' dogs without them knowing?

Started by MadImmortalMan, April 11, 2011, 11:39:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Is it wrong to train your neighbors' dogs without them knowing?

Yes
5 (20%)
No
17 (68%)
Should have fed them antifreeze and razor blades
3 (12%)

Total Members Voted: 24

MadImmortalMan

Several months ago, some people finally bought the house next door, which had been sitting empty for a long time. Probably half the houses on my street have been vacant for a while because they are in that price range where the subprime people could buy them if they stretched their budgets and got a 5 year ARM back in 2005. I, however, deliberately bought less house than I could afford back then, with a 30 year fixed, and my household income has gone up 50% since then. So it's been a wonderfully lonely street for a while. The house on the other side is a rental that's also been vacant for some time.

Anyway, the new neighbors seem like nice people. Kinda young. The dude complements my OSU flag when I fly it on Saturdays in the fall. One of their fathers (the girl's I think) came to stay there for a few weeks when they first moved in and made a bunch of improvements. So overall, they seem fine.

But their dogs won't shut the fuck up. Two little yappy motherfuckers. Every time I open my own door it sets them off. God forbid I decide to let my cat go in the back yard for a while. It was unending torment. Until my wife bought a Dazer.

http://www.amazon.com/DAZER-II-Ultrasonic-Dog-Deterrent/dp/B000E7KVQ2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1302539501&sr=8-1

It's basically a directional hypersonic sound emitter that works like a dog whistle. We keep it next to the door, and when the dogs bark, point it their way and let 'er rip. Been doing this for about two months now, and it's completely worked. If the dogs start barking, we don't even have to use the thing anymore. If they hear our door open, they shut up.

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Slargos

Fair game.
Nuff said.

I should perhaps append "As long as you know what you're doing" which it sounds like you do.  :hmm:

HVC

when your neighbours get chopped up by intruders becasue the dogs didn't warn them you'll feel just a tad guilty :lol:
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Caliga

I don't see the problem.  If the sound waves cross your property line, I think it's ok to take action. :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

DGuller

I think it is wrong.  Then again, it's also wrong for the dude'd dog to be a nuisance to neighbors.  It's a wash.

Barrister

Interesting.  Our dogs bark.  It wasn't a huge deal in Yukon where we had a fairly big property, and everybody else owned dogs, but it's not so welcome now in the city.

I may just put in an order for this...   :ph34r:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Maximus

Not at all wrong. I've been tempted to get a taser for those critters. This is probably better.

KRonn

I'd be tempted to do the same; not sure if I would. But I hate that mindless yipping of dogs. Dogs barking like that for nothing is a hassle, even though it's limited and not all the time. Sitting in your house, and the dogs go off yapping for a while over someone walking down the street, or some other reason. Those dogs need training or something. Worse is dogs just barking when left out in the yard, waiting for the owners to come home. In that case either let the neighbors know (they may not even be aware that the dog barks constantly when they're not home.) I think you can also call the police and complain; it's probably a disturbance of some kind if a dog barks all the time.

HisMajestyBOB

That's awesome.
If you're friendly with the neighbors, you could bring it up with them. Perhaps not like "We've been shooting hypersonic soundwaves at your annoying yappy dogs for the past two months." but perhaps in a more diplomatic manner, like "Hey, I've heard of these great new soundwave things that are useful for training dogs not to bark!"
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

KRonn

I just bought this to keep critters out of my veggie garden. Haven't used it yet so I don't know how well it works, but there are quite a few like this on the market so I assume such devices work pretty well. Senses animals within 30 feet, and sends out a sound that humans can't hear but that animals don't like.

http://www.asseenontvpromo.com/lawn-and-garden/solar-animal-repeller/

Maximus

The Brain

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on April 11, 2011, 11:39:40 AM
Several months ago, some people finally bought the house next door, which had been sitting empty for a long time. Probably half the houses on my street have been vacant for a while because they are in that price range where the subprime people could buy them if they stretched their budgets and got a 5 year ARM back in 2005. I, however, deliberately bought less house than I could afford back then, with a 30 year fixed, and my household income has gone up 50% since then. So it's been a wonderfully lonely street for a while. The house on the other side is a rental that's also been vacant for some time.

Anyway, the new neighbors seem like nice people. Kinda young. The dude complements my OSU flag when I fly it on Saturdays in the fall. One of their fathers (the girl's I think) came to stay there for a few weeks when they first moved in and made a bunch of improvements. So overall, they seem fine.

But their dogs won't shut the fuck up. Two little yappy motherfuckers. Every time I open my own door it sets them off. God forbid I decide to let my cat go in the back yard for a while. It was unending torment. Until my wife bought a Dazer.

http://www.amazon.com/DAZER-II-Ultrasonic-Dog-Deterrent/dp/B000E7KVQ2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1302539501&sr=8-1

It's basically a directional hypersonic sound emitter that works like a dog whistle. We keep it next to the door, and when the dogs bark, point it their way and let 'er rip. Been doing this for about two months now, and it's completely worked. If the dogs start barking, we don't even have to use the thing anymore. If they hear our door open, they shut up.

It's OK. You bring it, you discipline it. And when they fail you can do as you please.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

KRonn

Quote from: Maximus on April 11, 2011, 02:19:53 PM
God I hate those things. Silent to humans my ass.
Humans can hear them? If so and it causes a problem for people, I won't use it. I have some inner ear problems and don't want to mess around.   :huh:

Eddie Teach

Maybe, maybe not. I'm not convinced that Maximus isn't a visitor from outer space.  :hmm:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.