News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Cat Megathread

Started by CountDeMoney, April 02, 2011, 06:55:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Ours eats (1) mice from outside (during the summer only); and (2) a dry food that is alleged to be good for teeth.

She gets regular vet check-ups and cleaning.

What she doesn't get, is daily tooth-brushing by me. She isn't very tolerant of having stuff stuck in her mouth.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Viking

Quote from: Malthus on May 23, 2014, 02:48:40 PM
Cat went to the vet today for teeth cleaning; vet castigated mildly about not brushing her teeth.  :(

With my cat, "brushing her teeth" would require a chain-mail outfit to avoid fatal blood loss. She does not appreciate having stuff stuck in her mouth, and is happy to pass that lack of appreciation on to you.

I had to feed my brother's cat vancomycin for a month... after it lost an eye in a fight. It quickly learned to panic when I showed up with the syringe. It was wearing a cone, so it ran but immediately got stuck in something like a chair leg or electrical cables. Grab it by the scruff of the neck, hold it down (claws facing down), pull back on neck skin which makes the cat open it's mouth. The insert syringe in mouth (or toothbrush).

In my experience cat's don't get revenge like dogs do.

Edit: the cat did like the bit where I pulled the dried out bit of the wick in it's eye socket, cut it to keep draining it.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on May 23, 2014, 03:26:39 PM
If they're eating commercial cat food especially, cats do need to get their teeth cleaned/looked at, so that an infected tooth doesn't spread and turn into sepsis, etc.

My old cat had to have all his teeth extracted by the end, except for his long fangs, so he looked pretty goofy.

Ueah, I get the goofball's teeth done at the vets every two years;  I never did it for my previous cat, and she was completely miserable with an abcess in her mouth, and too old to go under the gas, she could only eat soft food on one side of her mouth.

Razgovory

My cat is ill.  Yesterday she was fine, today she has diarrhea, is throwing up, and is lethargic. :(
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Darth Wagtaros

:( Sorry Mang.  Take her to the vet if it doesn't stop. 

I miss our cats.  The wife is dead set against getting another since she was so attached to our missing cat. I at least know that mine is hissin in the wind.
PDH!

Norgy

Quote from: Razgovory on July 10, 2014, 06:28:54 PM
My cat is ill.  Yesterday she was fine, today she has diarrhea, is throwing up, and is lethargic. :(

Let her sleep.
If she's no better and has no apetite by tomorrow noon, go to the vet.

On a different note, I am adopting a new kitten in August.  :uffda: :w00t:

There will be: pics.

Razgovory

Yeah, I'm going to see how she's doing tomorrow before I do anything.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

sbr

Hope she feels better in the morning Raz.

My last remaining cat apparently has a hyperactive thyroid.  Her behavior had changed dramatically in the last few months and I wasn't sure if it was because she was lonely or something else.

In other news my daughters have found an old small dog harness and decided that since Missy can't go outside unattended they are going to take her for a walk.  The harness fits, and she seems to be used to it now, but I can't imagine the walks going well.  :D

Admiral Yi

I imagine it'll be a lot like...wait for it...herding cats!

Razgovory

I examined the cat this evening.  She seems to be doing better.  Eyes were more alert, A little more pep in the step and she purred.  She was less happy when I cleaned the shit off her back side.  She did eat a cat treat though, so I think she's feeling better.

Norgy

Quote from: Razgovory on July 10, 2014, 10:03:14 PM
I examined the cat this evening.  She seems to be doing better.  Eyes were more alert, A little more pep in the step and she purred.  She was less happy when I cleaned the shit off her back side.  She did eat a cat treat though, so I think she's feeling better.

:hug:
Glad to hear it. :)

Despite their pickiness about food, cats do tend to eat strange stuff, like insects and sometimes food that's off. My cat's an outdoor cat, and finally, in his 7th year he seems to have realised eating bees and wasps is a bad idea.

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: Razgovory on July 10, 2014, 10:03:14 PM

:) That's good

Razgovory

mongers

Quote from: Razgovory on July 11, 2014, 08:24:07 PM
Cat is fine now.   :)

Good to hear.  :)

Coming home on the train last night, it stopped at a country station for sometime (cattle on the tracks) and in the gathering dusk, two tabby cats where squaring up to each other in the station yard.

No doubt lots of hissing and cowling followed, but I doubt nothing more than a few token swipes were eventually traded.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Martinus

I has cat now.  :ph34r:

Here pictured when he was still younger (he is almost a year now).