News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Nearing Year 10

Started by garbon, April 02, 2011, 06:02:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

I took a long trek this afternoon that took me through the west & east villages, tribeca, batter park city, the financial district and chinatown. Along my way, I came across the wtc site that I haven't really taken a good look at since at least '04. It's amazing how going on almost 10 years that area is still physically scarred. Wasn't too big a fan of the shitty pedestrian overpass on Vesey St. Also interesting what a tourist site the location still is despite the absence of anything really to see.

Nevertheless, it still feels kind of like walking on hallowed ground - a small location that experienced such carnage.  Still pretty emotional and I must say I can't wait until construction has finished and it can get on with being part of the financial district.

So a bit soon for the a decade since memorial thread, but I guess you can't choose when memorial feelings strike you. -_-
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Neil

I was shocked to find that they were still building the thing.  The much larger tower in Dubai got built in 5-6 years, but I suppose when you're using union labour, it's gonna be slow and it's gonna be overbudget.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Siege

I hate putting pain under the rug.
If you forget you are condemned to live it again.
But more than that, it is unspeakably shameful to forget.

If it were up to me, I would build nothing in there but a simple memorial, with the known names of the victimes, and another simple memorial to the unknown victimes of islamic terrorism, the enemy of our time.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Neil

Quote from: Siege on April 03, 2011, 12:13:22 PM
I hate putting pain under the rug.
If you forget you are condemned to live it again.
But more than that, it is unspeakably shameful to forget.

If it were up to me, I would build nothing in there but a simple memorial, with the known names of the victimes, and another simple memorial to the unknown victimes of islamic terrorism, the enemy of our time.
That's wasted space in one of the largest and most important cities in the world.  Unforgivable.

Besides, Muslim terrorism isn't a priority for the West.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

garbon

Quote from: Neil on April 03, 2011, 12:35:49 PM
That's wasted space in one of the largest and most important cities in the world.  Unforgivable.

Besides, Muslim terrorism isn't a priority for the West.

:yes:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Best thing would've been to build the towers again, precisely as they were.   Fuck Islam.

Tonitrus

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 03, 2011, 07:53:52 PM
Best thing would've been to build the towers again, precisely as they were.   Fuck Islam.

Totally agree.

garbon

Their design was a bit outmoded.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on April 03, 2011, 08:09:54 PM
Their design was a bit outmoded.

It wouldn't have had the same internal workings, like HVAC from the 1970's, but its design and aesthetic was sound.

Siege

Best thing would've been to build the towers again, precisely as they were.   Fuck Islam.

I totally agree. Especially with the last part.

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 03, 2011, 08:25:12 PM
It wouldn't have had the same internal workings, like HVAC from the 1970's, but its design and aesthetic was sound.

So not precisely then? :P

Quote from: Siege on April 03, 2011, 10:14:19 PM
Best thing would've been to build the towers again, precisely as they were.   Fuck Islam.
You totally agree with building nothing but a simple memorial and re-building the towers how they were?

Ed Anger

I liked the 5 towers with the middle one taller joke picture. A great big fuck you to everybody.

Extra bonus points to point it at Mecca.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Siege

Quote from: garbon on April 04, 2011, 07:18:54 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 03, 2011, 08:25:12 PM

So not precisely then? :P

Quote from: Siege on April 03, 2011, 10:14:19 PM
You totally agree with building nothing but a simple memorial and re-building the towers how they were?

What's wrong with it?

Siege

Quote from: Ed Anger on April 04, 2011, 07:21:12 AM

I liked the 5 towers with the middle one taller joke picture. A great big fuck you to everybody.

Extra bonus points to point it at Mecca.

Where is that picture?

Razgovory

A small blue ball with the letters "BBR" inscribed.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017