News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Baseball Season 2011

Started by derspiess, March 30, 2011, 10:52:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

Those purists are idiots.

Season needs to be shorter & have 16 teams playoffs.
Quote from: Valmy on September 29, 2011, 12:00:57 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on September 29, 2011, 11:43:33 AM
It creates them. It was exciting for 6 teams in a league of 30? :zzz:

Yeah because the last day of the NHL regular season is thrilling for every single team.  So much at stake.

More then 6 at the least.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Valmy

Quote from: Grey Fox on September 29, 2011, 12:10:53 PM

What a joke.  Maybe two.  I have watched the NHL all my life do not try to bullshit me.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Grey Fox

Quote from: Valmy on September 29, 2011, 12:12:04 PM

What a joke.  Maybe two.  I have watched the NHL all my life do not try to bullshit me.

:huh: You lost me.

Anyway, this is a lost argument I wont change my mind neither will you.

Baseball will always be lost on me because there's only 8 teams making the playoff. 162 games & why should I watch any of them? Only the top teams are going to do anything anyway.

No underdog, no cinderella runs for the casual fan. Just the Yankees & 5 other teams, over & over again.

:zzz

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on September 29, 2011, 12:12:04 PM

Well, the thing about baseball pennant races is that it makes things exciting for the top 10-12 teams, whereas the rest of the league plays meaningless games.

For hockey, it makes things exciting for the middle teams.  Sure, the Canucks had their playoff spot guaranteed early on, and the Oilers were out of it early on, but there was a lot of exciting hockey for teams clustered in the middle about whether they'd make it or not.

Hockey probably has more meaningful games for more teams than MLB does, but they're for different teams.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on September 29, 2011, 12:21:19 PM
Well, the thing about baseball pennant races is that it makes things exciting for the top 10-12 teams, whereas the rest of the league plays meaningless games.

Last nights game was pretty freaking meaningful to me thanks. :angry:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

Quote from: Grey Fox on September 29, 2011, 12:15:47 PM
No underdog, no cinderella runs for the casual fan. Just the Yankees & 5 other teams, over & over again.

LOL.  You do not know what you are talking about.  Did you just make that up?  You do realize the San Francisco Giants, a cinderella team on a miraculous run, just won the WS last year and that is the rule rather than the exception the last decade?

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on September 29, 2011, 12:35:59 PM
Quote from: Barrister on September 29, 2011, 12:21:19 PM

Last nights game was pretty freaking meaningful to me thanks. :angry:

Well they weren't for me as a Royals fan.

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on September 29, 2011, 12:38:22 PM

LOL.  You do not know what you are talking about.  Did you just make that up?  You do realize the San Francisco Giants, a cinderella team on a miraculous run, just won the WS last year and that is the rule rather than the exception the last decade?

:yeahright:

Grey Fox

You are a not a cinderalla team with a 92-70 record that finish first of it's division.

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on September 29, 2011, 12:39:14 PM

:yeahright:

Arizona over the Yankees
Angles over the Giants
Marlins over the Yankees
Red Sox over the Cardinals
White Sox over the Astros
Cardinals over the Tigers
Red Sox over the Rockies
Phillies over the Rays
Yankees over the Phillies
Giants over the Rangers.

Yeah...no underdogs no Cinderellas there...I mean virtually every year there is one team that gets hot and makes a huge run via the Wild Card.  Do you not watch Baseball?  That is the only way I can think you would have this opinion.

Grey Fox

None!

All those team either won a division or finish on top a race of 2nd best, usually being better then one of division champ.

You can't be an underdog & win a division. You just can't.

Barrister

No Valmy, I really don't watch any baseball.

I'm with GF - your definition of Cinderella seems to be any team that isn't the Yankees / Red Sox.  Giants last year was a nice story, Rays are a continuing nice story, but there's very few of them.

Valmy

Quote from: Grey Fox on September 29, 2011, 12:43:47 PM
None!

All those team either won a division or finish on top a race of 2nd best, usually being better then one of division champ.

You can't be an underdog & win a division. You just can't.

Wow.

Ok then.

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on September 29, 2011, 12:49:29 PM

I'm with GF - your definition of Cinderella seems to be any team that isn't the Yankees / Red Sox.  Giants last year was a nice story, Rays are a continuing nice story, but there's very few of them.

:blink:  There are tons of them.  The Cardinals were left for dead and swept into the playoffs this year.  I mean we have two this year and we almost always have them.  But you do not even watch the game so how do you know who the underdogs and who the favorites are?

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on September 29, 2011, 12:50:53 PM
Quote from: Barrister on September 29, 2011, 12:49:29 PM

:blink:  There are tons of them.  The Cardinals were left for dead and swept into the playoffs this year.  I mean we have two this year and we almost always have them.  But you do not even watch the game so how do you know who the underdogs and who the favorites are?

Ever heard of a little show called Sportscentre?  It's great - it gives you the highlights of all the games without having to watch every single game.