News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Open letter from Trudeau to all Canadians: http://www.liberal.ca/prime-minister-justin-trudeaus-open-letter-to-canadians/

I predict it will not sway BB, Viper, and other people who are unfavourably inclined towards Trudeau.

garbon

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 05, 2015, 05:35:40 PM
Quote from: garbon on November 05, 2015, 05:27:09 PM
Quote from: PRC on November 05, 2015, 05:22:27 PM
My ladyfriend from Ontario swears by milk in bags because you can cut a smaller, or larger hole, in the bag and thus you have better control over how much milk goes in your tea.  Try an easy dash of milk in your Earl Grey from a newly opened four litre jug. 

I don't understand. How often does it come up that you have just put a large jug of milk and want to pour just a small dollop into tea? :huh:

If all one buys is large jugs of milk, like we do, it happens daily.  The other solution is to pour the milk into a smaller serving container first but I can see how the other method is more efficient.

When I had a reasonable size refrigerator, I used to buy large jugs too. I can't recall ever having a time when I failed to pour properly / never poured into a small serving container first. Perhaps milk bag Canadians need remedial training.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

PRC

Quote from: garbon on November 05, 2015, 05:42:03 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on November 05, 2015, 05:35:40 PM
Quote from: garbon on November 05, 2015, 05:27:09 PM
Quote from: PRC on November 05, 2015, 05:22:27 PM
My ladyfriend from Ontario swears by milk in bags because you can cut a smaller, or larger hole, in the bag and thus you have better control over how much milk goes in your tea.  Try an easy dash of milk in your Earl Grey from a newly opened four litre jug. 

I don't understand. How often does it come up that you have just put a large jug of milk and want to pour just a small dollop into tea? :huh:

If all one buys is large jugs of milk, like we do, it happens daily.  The other solution is to pour the milk into a smaller serving container first but I can see how the other method is more efficient.

When I had a reasonable size refrigerator, I used to buy large jugs too. I can't recall ever having a time when I failed to pour properly / never poured into a small serving container first. Perhaps milk bag Canadians need remedial training.

You've perfectly poured a tablespoon of milk out of a newly opened four litre jug?  That's not easy.

garbon

No, I'm not fussy enough to pour milk into a tablespoon before putting it into my tea. WTF?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Oh and by the way, it was a full gallon jug. Take that puny 4 liters. :showoff:

Jacob

Quote from: garbon on November 05, 2015, 05:53:00 PM
No, I'm not fussy enough to pour milk into a tablespoon before putting it into my tea. WTF?

Yeah, that's fairly... precise.

One assumes they measure out the amount of water beforehand then as well?

Jacob

Quote from: garbon on November 05, 2015, 05:54:01 PM

Uhm... a gallon is 3.8 litres.

garbon

Quote from: Jacob on November 05, 2015, 05:54:47 PM
Quote from: garbon on November 05, 2015, 05:54:01 PM

Uhm... a gallon is 3.8 litres.

Google UK tricked me. :weep:

Malthus

Quote from: Jacob on November 05, 2015, 05:38:17 PM
Open letter from Trudeau to all Canadians: http://www.liberal.ca/prime-minister-justin-trudeaus-open-letter-to-canadians/

I predict it will not sway BB, Viper, and other people who are unfavourably inclined towards Trudeau.

Sounds pretty good - though he has little to say on the vital issue of milk in bags.  :hmm:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Barrister

Of course not.  It's not even designed to.

In it he promises to 'uphold your values and priorities', but then goes on about how there are an equal number of men and woman on cabinet.  I could care less about that - I'm firmly in the "put the best person available" camp.  And if it means a majority of women, so be it.

He then goes on to say he will uphold his promises.  Well I'm sure that people who voted for him will be happy.  But if he wanted to appeal to me (which of course he doesn't, and shouldn't) he should tear up his promises and instead vow to keep a balanced budget, keep on fighting ISIS, not raise taxes, etc.

Look, when Harper was in power he never tried to be all things for all people, and I was okay with that.  Now it's Trudeau's turn to do the same thing.  I don't begrudge him for it - that's how democracy works.  But no, nothing he is doing is making me more favourably inclined towards him. :)
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Admiral Yi

Borrows heavily from the Obama play book.

Those other guys were terrible; we won't be like that.

It's not spending, it's investment, which makes it good.

The people getting the money are middle class, which makes it good.

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 05, 2015, 06:07:54 PM
Borrows heavily from the Obama play book.

Those other guys were terrible; we won't be like that.

It's not spending, it's investment, which makes it good.

The people getting the money are middle class, which makes it good.

Unlike Obama he's not facing a severely unimpressed congress and a financial crisis, so it may turn out differently.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Jacob on November 05, 2015, 07:01:28 PM
Unlike Obama he's not facing a severely unimpressed congress and a financial crisis, so it may turn out differently.

I was commenting on the spin, not the policies.

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 05, 2015, 07:22:11 PM
Quote from: Jacob on November 05, 2015, 07:01:28 PM

I was commenting on the spin, not the policies.

Yup, and I think it's a fair comment.

Josephus

Quote from: Barrister on November 05, 2015, 03:18:33 PM
Quote from: garbon on November 05, 2015, 03:16:14 PM
No civilized state sells milk in bags. :x

Meh.  It's an eastern Canadian thing.  The good parts of the country use cartons like everyone else.

When we came here back in 79 I was flabbergasted by the milk-in-a-bag concept. Took me a while too to figure out that I should open it AFTER I squeeze into the container. :blush:
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011