News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on October 29, 2015, 02:23:34 PM
But that's the thing - both are smoked.  It's not the nicotine that makes smoking give you cancer - it's the fact it is burned and inhaled.  So in that sense they do have the same effect.
didn't tobacco chewing gave cancer too? tongue/throat cancer?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Barrister

Quote from: viper37 on October 29, 2015, 02:34:29 PM
But that's the thing - both are smoked.  It's not the nicotine that makes smoking give you cancer - it's the fact it is burned and inhaled.  So in that sense they do have the same effect.

Good point - it does.

Huh I wonder why that is, because even googled to confirm that nicotine itself is not a known carcinogen (heart disease is a whole other story).
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

viper37

Well, tobacco is not only nicotine.  Maybe there's something else in the leaves, or it's the drying process that cause cancer? 
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Malthus

Three points:

(1) tobacco isn't necessarily smoked, but still gives you cancer - chewing tobacco, snuff, etc.

(2) Pot also isn't necessarily smoked. It is often eaten (as in brownies) or taken as tea. I never heard that pot brownies caused any cancer.

(3) People who smoke pot, smoke a lot less of it than people who smoke cigarettes, and do so considerably less frequently. look at the average size of a cigarette versus the average size of a joint. Joints are tiny by comparison; and people normally do not smoke them every couple of hours, all day. 

QuoteIt also seems odd to see you try to disconnect tobacco and pot.  Didn't you tell us the story that smoking pot was actually your "gateway drug" into getting hooked on cigarettes? :)

That wasn't "pot". That was hashish. Hash doesn't burn well on its own (unlike pot), so it is often mixed with something that does - typically, tobacco - to make joints. It was this mixing that "hooked" me on tobacco - as it turned out I could quit smoking hash whenever I wanted to, but tobacco proved horribly addictive. If I had stuck to pot, that never would have happened.

Please just take it from me - impaired driving by marijuana is incredibly difficult to prosecute.  Not impossible, no, but probably an order of magnitude harder than proving alcohol.

Again, this doesn't strike me as a good reason to make the stuff illegal. I bet it is tough to prosecute impairment based on a wide variety of prescription drugs, too.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

garbon

Quote from: Barrister on October 29, 2015, 02:50:04 PM

Good point - it does.

Huh I wonder why that is, because even googled to confirm that nicotine itself is not a known carcinogen (heart disease is a whole other story).

http://www.cancer.gov/about-cancer/causes-prevention/risk/tobacco/smokeless-fact-sheet#q3

QuoteAre there harmful chemicals in smokeless tobacco?

Yes. There is no safe form of tobacco. At least 28 chemicals in smokeless tobacco have been found to cause cancer (1). The most harmful chemicals in smokeless tobacco are tobacco-specific nitrosamines, which are formed during the growing, curing, fermenting, and aging of tobacco. The level of tobacco-specific nitrosamines varies by product. Scientists have found that the nitrosamine level is directly related to the risk of cancer.

In addition to a variety of nitrosamines, other cancer-causing substances in smokeless tobacco include polonium–210 (a radioactive element found in tobacco fertilizer) and polynuclear aromatic hydrocarbons (also known as polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tobacco-specific_nitrosamines
QuoteThese nitrosamine carcinogens are formed from nicotine and related compounds by a nitrosation reaction that occurs during the curing and processing of tobacco. They are called tobacco-specific nitrosamines because they are found only in tobacco products, and possibly in some other nicotine-containing products. The tobacco-specific nitrosamines are present in cigarette smoke and to a lesser degree in "smokeless" tobacco products such as dipping tobacco and chewing tobacco. They are present in trace amounts in snus, a Swedish style snuff that is not fermented (a type of curing) and is pasteurized. They are among the most important carcinogens in cigarette smoke, along with combustion products and other carcinogens.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

dps

Quote from: Barrister on October 29, 2015, 02:50:04 PM

Good point - it does.

The nicotine is what makes tobacco addictive.  It's other stuff in the tobacco that makes it cancer-causing, as per Garbon's post.

PRC

Quote from: garbon on October 30, 2015, 03:45:23 AM
In addition to a variety of nitrosamines, other cancer-causing substances in smokeless tobacco include polonium–210 (a radioactive element found in tobacco fertilizer)

Polonium-210 is what was used to kill that Russian expat Litivenko.

The Minsky Moment

The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Barrister

Quote from: Jacob on October 30, 2015, 12:41:06 PM
Petition to rename Stephen Harper to "Calgary International Airport": https://www.change.org/p/rename-stephen-harper-to-calgary-international-airport?recruiter=416415018&utm_source=share_for_starters&utm_medium=copyLink

You know the idea of re-naming Calgary's airport to the Stephen Harper Airport actually has a lot of merit.  Just not, you know, right now.

Give it 10-20 years or so.

Malthus

Quote from: Barrister on October 30, 2015, 12:47:09 PM
Petition to rename Stephen Harper to "Calgary International Airport": https://www.change.org/p/rename-stephen-harper-to-calgary-international-airport?recruiter=416415018&utm_source=share_for_starters&utm_medium=copyLink

You know the idea of re-naming Calgary's airport to the Stephen Harper Airport actually has a lot of merit.  Just not, you know, right now.

The petition's a gag - it's to rename the person as an airport. Not very classy or funny, but whateveah.

As for naming an airport after a person - isn't the usual convention to wait until the person in question is dead? Not sure about that, but that was my impression.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

Quote from: Malthus on October 30, 2015, 12:51:04 PM
As for naming an airport after a person - isn't the usual convention to wait until the person in question is dead? Not sure about that, but that was my impression.

Didn't stop Houston from naming their airport after Kennebunkport's most famous tourist.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Bush_Intercontinental_Airport
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

Quote from: Barrister on October 30, 2015, 12:47:09 PM

The petition's a gag - it's to rename the person as an airport. Not very classy or funny, but whateveah.

I knew that - it was a reaction to another petition suggesting the more conventional approach.  I was just commenting on the original idea.

I don't know if it's convention, but yes - I think all the examples I can think of (Pearson, Trudeau, Diefenbaker, and Neilsen in Whitehorse) were named posthumously.

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on October 30, 2015, 12:56:24 PM

Didn't stop Houston from naming their airport after Kennebunkport's most famous tourist.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Bush_Intercontinental_Airport

For some reason it always struck me as tactless to name infrastructure after someone when they are still alive.

Valmy

Quote from: Malthus on October 30, 2015, 01:00:43 PM
For some reason it always struck me as tactless to name infrastructure after someone when they are still alive.

Don't you want to fly out of Atwood airport before you die? :(
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."