And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on September 04, 2015, 02:44:04 PM
Quote from: viper37 on September 04, 2015, 02:23:21 PM
Running huge deficits wasn't a problem in the 70s, it is now.

:blink:
how do you think we arrived wich such a debt in the 90s?  Every government went on a spending spree between 1988 and 1990?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

crazy canuck

Quote from: viper37 on September 04, 2015, 04:02:18 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on September 04, 2015, 03:55:06 PM
We are not all like Grallon :)
No, but he's not alone.  And people like him will need to be contained, while at the same time rooting out criminal elements from the migrant flux.

I think a moderate approach, like the one taken by Harper is preferable to anything Mulcair could propose.  Maybe we could grant asylum to a few thousand more, but nowhere near the 200k to make a difference.

The Conservatives have already agreed to take 10k Syrians and are nowhere near that target.  This isn't a debate about taking hundreds of thousands. Its about why we cant meet basic humanitarian commitments.

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 04, 2015, 04:04:47 PM
The Conservatives have already agreed to take 10k Syrians and are nowhere near that target.  This isn't a debate about taking hundreds of thousands. Its about why we cant meet basic humanitarian commitments.
critics want more so that we can make a difference.  We have lots of refugees from Iraq too.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

crazy canuck

I am not sure why you keep mentioning Iraqi refugees.  If that was relevant surely the government factored that into their commitment of 10,000 Syrians.

Monoriu

On one hand I think it is irrational for Canadians to want to get themselves involved in this.  On the other hand I think this sentiment will be useful if and when I need to bring my wife to Canada.  I have a Canadian citizen passport and I don't have any criminal record, so I should be able to get in.  She has a UK citizen passport, so she should be able to get in, at least for a while.  Should anything happen and she needs to stay long-term, I think it is kinda difficult to expel the legal spouse of a citizen. 

Or so I hope  :ph34r:

Valmy

'When' you need to bring your wife? When are you returning to Canada?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Monoriu

Quote from: Valmy on September 04, 2015, 07:58:07 PM
'When' you need to bring your wife? When are you returning to Canada?

I am not going back to Canada.  But the whole point of HKers getting Canadian/Australian passports is in case Cultural Revolution or Great Leap Forward Mark 2 happens.  Think of it as an insurance policy that nobody wants to use, unless something really bad happens  :ph34r:

Valmy

Ah I missed the 'if' part of that post  :blush:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Neil

Quote from: Josephus on September 04, 2015, 01:38:35 PM
Quote from: viper37 on September 04, 2015, 08:36:13 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on September 03, 2015, 10:53:30 AM
Is this a more appropriate response?  You be the judge.

http://www.cbc.ca/player/News/Politics/ID/2674906104/
Harper has the best plan to solve the problem: defeat ISIS.
Agree. There have never been refugees before ISIS and there never will be refugees again after. Makes perfect sense. Even though, I'm not even sure ISIS has anything to do with the majority of these Syrians refugees. There was a civil war there BEFORE ISIS, you know.
Still, accepting refugees from the Third World is immoral, almost as much as accepting immigrants.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Fireblade

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/jerry-bance-marketplace-1.3217797

QuoteJerry Bance, Conservative caught peeing in mug, no longer candidate, party says

Haven't Conservatives been pissing in the metaphorical coffee mug of Canada for a decade now?

crazy canuck

The polls taken over the weekend are in and not surprisingly the Conservative support dropped.  The somewhat surprising result is the NDP was the main beneficiary of the shift in voter intention.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/support-for-conservatives-dips-on-response-to-migrant-crisis-poll-shows/article26246364/?service=mobile

Monoriu

Maybe Canada also has shy Conservatives.  One can hope. 

Valmy

No it is over for the Conservatives. The NDP will win. Sorry BB, couldn't last forever.

viper37

It's their own damn fault if they lose.  One party can not remain forever in power by keeping the same platform over&over.