News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: garbon on March 24, 2014, 10:21:58 AM
And what's the best argument that makes it reasonable for Quebec to adopt 19th century attitudes and methods?
According to English Canada's history, it's because of these methods, not in spite of them, that there's a francophone community surviving in this country.  I don't see how they could say it's bad if we do the same with our minorities, since it was such a great success of tolerance? :)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

garbon

Quote from: viper37 on March 24, 2014, 10:25:23 AM
Quote from: garbon on March 24, 2014, 10:21:58 AM
And what's the best argument that makes it reasonable for Quebec to adopt 19th century attitudes and methods?
According to English Canada's history, it's because of these methods, not in spite of them, that there's a francophone community surviving in this country.  I don't see how they could say it's bad if we do the same with our minorities, since it was such a great success of tolerance? :)

I'm not sure why you are rushing to jump headlong into the dustbin of history.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

viper37

Quote from: garbon on March 24, 2014, 10:28:17 AM
I'm not sure why you are rushing to jump headlong into the dustbin of history.
You asked a stupid question to a sarcastic comment, what else can I do?

Of course Quebec would not use 19th century methods with indians.  We have signed numerous deals to recognized their ancestral rights in the past, with many communities.  What's in dispute is the extent of the territory they would get, and the federal matters as to what is an indian, who owns what in the reservation.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

garbon

You could start by not being an ass.

And then I'd venture as a next step - move past victimization rooted in the 19th century. Much in the same way that I'm over slavery. :)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

viper37

Quote from: garbon on March 24, 2014, 11:07:31 AM
You could start by not being an ass.
I did answer seriously about negotiations.

And then I'd venture as a next step - move past victimization rooted in the 19th century. Much in the same way that I'm over slavery. :)
I don't see it as victimization.  I see it as an explanation for current conditions.  Just I see slavery and the Jim Crow laws as one of the many explanations for why blacks are generally poored than white.

See it like free trade.  Would you agree to remove all tariffs on imports from country X while said country maintain tariffs over all US goods they import?  It wouldn't make any sense.

Grey Fox

Libs have gain even more & now lead by 5% in the latest Leger survey.

http://tvanouvelles.ca/lcn/infos/national/electionsquebec2014/archives/2014/03/20140325-045517.html <- in French, use google.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Rex Francorum

Sad to see how much CAQ lost in support.
To rent

Grey Fox

Quote from: Rex Francorum on March 25, 2014, 11:39:02 AM
I blame the fact that half of the party is just the ADQ deadbeats.

Neil

Grallon is going to be sad.  And murderous.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

viper37

Quote from: Grey Fox on March 25, 2014, 11:42:41 AM
these are the ones who stand a chance of getting re-elected. There's no point in having a 3rd party if it's the same as the two others.

Grey Fox

Quote from: viper37 on March 25, 2014, 01:32:26 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on March 25, 2014, 11:42:41 AM
these are the ones who stand a chance of getting re-elected. There's no point in having a 3rd party if it's the same as the two others.

True but these candidates are political back benchers. They'll never accomplish anything but stick around to earn a pension. They did it under Mario & now under Francois, fuck them.

Grallon

Quote from: Neil on March 25, 2014, 11:59:52 AM
Grallon is going to be sad.  And murderous.

Not sad - just murderous.  But then again perhaps another round under the crooks who'll fleece them at every turn is what the people need to wake up.  I can tell you who the first casualty of this defeat will be : Marois herself.  Idiot bitch who lost control of an election that was practically won.  <_<

G.

"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Neil

Well, that's nice.  Marois is fairly awful, even for a Péquiste.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Drakken

Quote from: Grallon on March 25, 2014, 03:34:24 PM

Not sad - just murderous.  But then again perhaps another round under the crooks who'll fleece them at every turn is what the people need to wake up.  I can tell you who the first casualty of this defeat will be : Marois herself.  Idiot bitch who lost control of an election that was practically won.  <_<

Despite her 'matante'-ish meekness, blame her staff and their amateurish incompetence instead.

When you recruit such a huge name as candidate as Peladeau, someone who will cast a shadow over his boss just because he is there, the first thing you need to do is to ensure a) he deflates his big ego and follow the party strategy to the letter, and b) he won't embarass the leader by acting like a hothead and fumbling in public. They failed at both, and thus his lack of pragmatism has scared the electorate away from a sure victory.

Drakken

Quote from: Neil on March 25, 2014, 03:35:57 PM
Well, that's nice.  Marois is fairly awful, even for a Péquiste.

Couillard is even worse, even for a liberal. Compared to him even Kim Campbell is a Francis Urquhart.