And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

Quote from: Barrister on August 14, 2013, 10:49:04 PM
Quote from: viper37 on August 14, 2013, 10:14:35 PM
I like the principle of the Senate.  I'd much prefer a reform to an abolition.  I think it's important that something else than pure numbers speak, like in the US, Germany, and many other places.  That or massive decentralization.  But Canadians hate that word, apprently.

Canada is already significantly decentralized.  What's left to decentralize?

Federal Income Tax & Defense?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Malthus

Quote from: Grey Fox on August 15, 2013, 07:25:15 AM
I like the principle of the Senate.  I'd much prefer a reform to an abolition.  I think it's important that something else than pure numbers speak, like in the US, Germany, and many other places.  That or massive decentralization.  But Canadians hate that word, apprently.

Decentralized defense makes no sense.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Grey Fox

Quote from: Malthus on August 15, 2013, 09:08:33 AM

Decentralized defense makes no sense.

We could decentralized it by contracting it to the US Armed Forces?

Jacob

Quote from: Grey Fox on August 15, 2013, 09:18:21 AMWe could decentralized it by contracting it to the US Armed Forces?

Paying foreigners to look after your defense, historically does not work out that well.

Malthus

Quote from: Jacob on August 15, 2013, 09:27:13 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on August 15, 2013, 09:18:21 AMWe could decentralized it by contracting it to the US Armed Forces?

Paying foreigners to look after your defense, historically does not work out that well.

The Delian League.  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Barrister

Uh, Quebec already collects its own income tax.

Decentralize defence and you no longer have a country. 
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

viper37

• The Federal government has the right to spend in a province's field.  Recent examples are the Canadian SEC project instead of the provinces and the new program to educate workers.  There's the Liberal way: sending checks to specific students instead of increasing provincial transfers, blocking Quebec's international relations, starving the provinces, etc, etc.
  • Right now, the Feds perceive taxes and give what it wants to provinces.  Provinces should perceive all their taxes and give a share, per population, to the Feds.
  • Federal has shared power in forests & other natural resources, communications, culture, many others.  Provinces should have sole jurisdiction in everything touching their natural resources and culture (including communications).  If Alberta wants to drill for oil and Quebec doesn't want to, then Alberta should drill and Quebec should not drill.
  • Health care: it should be solely a province's choice what to do with its health care system.  The Federal government should have no say in this, no taking hostages by threatening to cut funding.  My point #2 would solve that problem though...
  • these are but a few sample choices.  Ideally, the Federal governement would be very minimal and non obstrusive, kinda invisible.  It's the only way a large country can be managed.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

crazy canuck

That or massive decentralization.  But Canadians hate that word, apprently.

Now what are you on about?

Jacob

Yeah, I don't think that's a good idea Viper.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Barrister on August 15, 2013, 09:33:50 AM

Uh, Quebec already collects its own income tax.

Decentralize defence and you no longer have a country.

Yes but aren't we the exception?

And you know I am an advocate of a reversal of Canadian Government funding. Provincial gov collect taxes & give them to the Fed gov instead of the current way.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Grey Fox on August 15, 2013, 10:42:29 AM
Yes but aren't we the exception?

Yes, Quebec is the exception. But not for the reason you suggest.  Any other province could do it as well.  Its just the no other province would take on the added administrative cost of setting up a separate tax collection system for purely symbolic purposes.

Grey Fox

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 15, 2013, 10:00:28 AM
Now what are you on about?
well, a majority of Canadians were against Meech and Charlottetown because it removed power from the Federal government and gave Quebec (as well as other provinces) more power.  And I've discussed this before, here, I think, and was told by BB that it would never work in Canada.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 15, 2013, 11:20:27 AM
Yes, Quebec is the exception. But not for the reason you suggest.  Any other province could do it as well.  Its just the no other province would take on the added administrative cost of setting up a separate tax collection system for purely symbolic purposes.
they don't need to.  Whenever they talk about it, they Federal government rushes in and gives them more money.  See Ontario with their tax deal.  They didn't wait for 20 years to receive their 1Billion$ compensation.  They talked about how unfair it was, they were providing for Canada, so now, they got money to "harmonize their sales tax" and they are also receiving equalization payments, plus various government grants to help the auto-industry restart.

crazy canuck

Viper you are beyond the pale.  I give up.