News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

On the federal dental plan:
QuoteThe CDCP is a $13-billion insurance program that will start covering most basic dentistry costs next year for uninsured Canadians with a household income under $90,000. That's about nine million Canadians, according to the federal government. In its current form, the plan is expected to cost the federal treasury about $4.4 billion per year.

From here: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/canada-dental-care-plan-benefit-1.7055975

Zoupa

Zoupa, circa 2023, realizing grumbler might have a point:

crazy canuck

Hey you get hung up on semantics with the best of them.  I have been trying to engage with you on the specifics.  If you want to engage on substantive points I would be happy to engage.

Zoupa

I'm good. My points were made in previous posts that you ignored. I can also do without the condescension that comes from your Dunning–Kruger.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Zoupa on December 12, 2023, 02:34:01 PMI'm good. My points were made in previous posts that you ignored. I can also do without the condescension that comes from your Dunning–Kruger.

Sorry, I did not see a response to my request for an explanation of why you thought the training was insufficient for the limited medications they are now permitted to be prescribed (as determined by the College).

It may be, as you assert, that the training is insufficient for that purpose.  The College would then have made a terrible blunder. 

viper37

Housing minister suggests immigration 'reforms' should be considered

Quote"It would be a mistake to blame international students for the housing crisis. But it also be a mistake to invite them to come to Canada with no support, including how to put a roof over their heads," he said. "That's why we expect learning institutions to only accept numbers of students that they're able to provide for, able to house or assist in finding off campus housing.
"If provinces and territories cannot do this, we will do it for them and they will not like the bluntness of the instruments that we use."

Liberals are seeing the light. The failures of their own policies are coming back to haunt them.  Via the polls.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Barrister

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/electric-vehicle-ev-guilbeault-1.7061381

Canada set to announce that all vehicles sold in Canada must be emission-free by 2035.

So look.  I believe climate change is real.  I support a carbon tax.  I would very much like my family's next vehicle to be an electric vehicle, and I believe electric vehicles are going to be increasingly important going forward.

But the infrastructure is not there, and will almost certainly never be there, to go 100% electric in rural and northern Canada.

Just as one example driving the Alaska Highway up to Yukon - even with gasoline (which has a much, much higher energy density then batteries) you need to be careful in planning where you stop for gas as there are lengthy distances between gas stations.  Or take the Dempster Highway up to Inuvik - 700km long.  While I think there is a gas station in Eagle Plain half-way along, it's not like Eagle Plain is connected to the energy grid - even if you put a charging station there it's going to be powered by a diesel generator anyways.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Grey Fox

New passenger vehicles, not everything. It's quite the aggressive schedule & relies on the schedules of the battery industry is claiming that it will achieve. (Can't quite remember something like 40x gain in effiency over the next decade)

But, it's the only way to force the manufacturing group to actually deliver electric vehicles in the country in the short term. They are short changing us in favour of Europe.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

crazy canuck

Yeah, this is only new vehicle sales.

I agree that it is an aggressive schedule.  The concern is likely one of affordability, not just for the EV market, but what is this going to do to the price of used vehicles as the supply of new IC engines gets cut off.

Sheilbh

This schedule is also the same as for most of Europe.

As I say this is where net zero requirements mesh with industrial policy strategy because we're all working to the same timetable, we all need the manufacturing capacity (along the supply chain) and to make sure there's enough infrastructure (charging points, grid capacity and that the electricity is generated renewably).

It's also an area where I think there's a little bit of counter-intuitive priorities because I remember reading somewhere that actually in terms of pure carbon impact, electrifying two (and three) wheel vehicles will have a bigger impact but receives vastly less attention - for the usual reason.
Let's bomb Russia!

crazy canuck

A greater impact per vehicle or a greater total impact?

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on December 18, 2023, 01:55:36 PMYeah, this is only new vehicle sales.

I agree that it is an aggressive schedule.  The concern is likely one of affordability, not just for the EV market, but what is this going to do to the price of used vehicles as the supply of new IC engines gets cut off.

It's not just aggressive, it's unrealistic.

You can go "well it's only new vehicles" but those vehicles used in northern communities, which are primarily first nations, get heavy heavy miles put on them - which is why they can't be electric in the first place.

So when a target is set that is impossible to comply with I think you'll find auto manufacturers just ignore it, since it'll have to be relaxed or waived eventually anyways.  Which means you're going to miss out on what is possible in that time frame.

I'm a free marketer - the government should be putting in place various inducements so that people WANT to buy EVs (and yes - that can/should include a carbon tax), nt trying to set an arbitrary deadline.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Sheilbh

Greater total impact - I'll try and find the stat because (like air miles or single use plastic) it's one of those things that's really counter-intuitive.

I feel like - as with calories/carbs etc - we could do with RAG on climate impact to help prioritise personally and socially.
Let's bomb Russia!