News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

From the weekly protest against Covid measures in Vienna (notably fewer people today, because it's raining):

Guess the Canadian truckers have the support of our loony fringe. :)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Syt

I'm guessing it's two flags on his wittle stick.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Grey Fox

I like the counter #s on twitter. #flutrucklan and #karenkonvoy stand out for me.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Jacob

Quote from: Grey Fox on January 29, 2022, 04:02:25 PM
I like the counter #s on twitter. #flutrucklan and #karenkonvoy stand out for me.

:D

Jacob

Quote from: HVC on January 29, 2022, 02:57:06 PM
The trucker thing is weird. Doesn't seem to be that many drivers, and even their association is against them.

My wife is out buying tea, and she messaged me that she saw a couple of idiots in pickup trucks (with a few signs or something) driving around and honking.

We remain unimpressed.

Josephus

The trucker thing is weird. Doesn't seem to be that many drivers, and even their association is against them.

It's morphed from a trucker thing into something else now. All the typical conspiracy therorists, anti-Trudeauists are out there.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

crazy canuck

Quote from: Josephus on January 30, 2022, 06:46:57 AM

It's morphed from a trucker thing into something else now. All the typical conspiracy therorists, anti-Trudeauists are out there.

I am not sure it was ever a trucker thing to begin with, always just a pretext with some white nationalist/conspiracy types who also happen to own a truck.

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

Grey Fox

Media yes. The CRTC also regulates short wave radio in Canada.

Jacob

I don't get it. What's Musk trying to say? And why is it relevant?

Zoupa

I went from idolizing Musk to thinking he's a piece of shit in the last 2 years or so. So have a lot of people I think.

Jacob

Quote from: Zoupa on January 30, 2022, 07:53:15 PM
I went from idolizing Musk to thinking he's a piece of shit in the last 2 years or so. So have a lot of people I think.

Take no heroes - only inspiration.

But yeah, Musk has lost a lot of whatever lustre he may have had.

Grey Fox

No, no. We can't let CEO reaveling themselves to be fascist influence our choices has investor or customers. Berkut et all won't like that.

viper37

Quote from: Josephus on January 30, 2022, 06:46:57 AM

There were some "Trump 2024" signs in the lot...  Some neo-nazi flags, and some "No 4th REICH" flags too.

When there are pro-Palestinian gatherings and you see the Hezbollah/Hamas flag, right-wing commentors will usually point right away at how despicable such protests are and the association of public figures in the lot (and they are mostly right on this count).

I wonder if they'll call out the Nazi flags, racist messages and harrassement of "popular soup" workers by these people.  All fringe incidents, but the same could be said for these pro-Palestinian protests.

Also, Quebec's Conservative Party (not affiliated at all with the Canadian Conservative Party, just the same name) called out a popular leftwing politician (disclaimer: I really don't like Catherine Dorion, she's a narcissist hypocrite attention-seeker; kinda like Trump, but with less vulgarity and firmly commited to the woke-left), for speaking about the day of remembrance for Quebec city's victims of the mosque attack, 5 years ago :(.

The original message was in French, but it basically called her out for speaking for Muslims and not for the trucker's protest in Ottawa, saying the citizens she represented were less important than Muslims and that she might notice if the truckers paraded through her riding.

Like I said, I don't like the girl, but that was unfair, as the muslem victims are just as much Quebecers as anyone else living here.  And, except for that silly inclusive writing she used, I liked her answer, responding that comparing a lockdown to multiple murders was stupid ( I do not have the answer though, I can't find it anymore.).

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.