News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

saskganesh

This is more depressing news, but then, I think, perhaps one of these Conservative leaders who keep getting elected will have a Road to Damascus moment and become a credible leader on climate change. Like LBJ and Civil Rights or Gorbachev with Glasnost.: risk every dime of political capital  in order to do The Right Thing and make a different future.
humans were created in their own image

Barrister

The final polls were showing a narrowing race, with the UCP up by 8-9 points.

The final  vote was UCP 55%, NDP 32% - a 22 point gap.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

PRC

Here is an actual letter to the editor in the most recent (April 12) edition of the Strathmore Times (town just East of Calgary).

Page 7: https://strathmoretimes.com/2019/april-12-2019-strathmore-times/

Valmy

I am confused about condoms not being the answer for safe sex and AIDS not being a sexually transmitted disease having much to do with each other. Or is she claiming AIDS is the only sexually transmitted disease (that is actually not a sexually transmitted disease)?

Also you guys need to stop having segregated schools for just Muslims. Separate can never be equal Canada.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

Crackpot writes a letter to the editor.  What a shocker.

dps

Quote from: Valmy on April 17, 2019, 02:59:10 PM
I am confused about condoms not being the answer for safe sex and AIDS not being a sexually transmitted disease having much to do with each other. Or is she claiming AIDS is the only sexually transmitted disease (that is actually not a sexually transmitted disease)?

I think the point was supposed to be either that AIDS can be transmitted via non-sexual means (for example via a transfusion with infected blood0, or that condoms aren't foolproof.  And while either is technically true, I'm still not sure what conclusion the writer wanted us to draw from those facts.  On the face of it, it's sort of like saying that you can still get lung cancer even if you have never smoked, so you should go ahead and smoke.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on April 17, 2019, 01:44:10 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on April 17, 2019, 07:21:22 AM
Quote from: Barrister on April 16, 2019, 10:34:11 PM
Quote from: PRC on April 16, 2019, 10:14:01 PM
Also expect to see major cuts in Edmonton, that's the NDP base and all that bureaucratic fat to be trimmed.

:rolleyes:

I live in Edmonton.  I'm a GOA employee.  And I voted UCP.

One of my colleagues was running as a UCP candidate - sorry to see she was defeated.

Yes, you are a true believer. When oil prices don't magically increase what will your party do?

No one thinks oil prices are going to magically increase.

But if we can get better access to world markets so that our oil can actually get world prices, and not sell at a substantial discount, plus improve the business climate, we should see improvements in the oil and gas sector.

I am not sure there is much difference between a magical increase and a proposition that "if" the pipeline is built (you realize it wasn't the fault of any governmental actor right?) and "if" world prices are above the costs for companies operating out of the oil sands (possible but not certain) and "if" the business climate improves (a bit of pie in the sky thinking but that is the Conservative talking point) then things should improve.

The main point of that kind of magical thinking is it completely ignores the fact that the world needs to decrease its use of fossil fuels and the smart money is on the new energy technologies.  Your Province is now all in on heavily investing in horse drawn carriages as the first model T factory is coming on line.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on April 17, 2019, 02:34:34 PM
The final polls were showing a narrowing race, with the UCP up by 8-9 points.

The final  vote was UCP 55%, NDP 32% - a 22 point gap.

Yeah, I don't know why people pay close attention to polling data anymore.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on April 17, 2019, 03:01:29 PM
Crackpot writes a letter to the editor.  What a shocker.

More shocking is it gets published.

Monoriu

Quote from: Barrister on April 17, 2019, 01:40:55 PM
Quote from: Monoriu on April 17, 2019, 10:36:06 AM
Quote from: Barrister on April 16, 2019, 10:34:11 PM

One of my colleagues was running as a UCP candidate - sorry to see she was defeated.

Huh?  A civil servant being a candidate in an election?  Am I missing something here?

She (or any civil servant) can run, but is required to take a leave of absence during the writ period.

That's unthinkable here.  Civil servants must resign before they can run. 

Barrister

Apparently turnout was at 70%, second highest ever, and highest since the early 80s.

https://globalnews.ca/news/5179026/alberta-election-voter-turnout-70-per-cent/

That's pleasant - we're usually inundated with stories of ever-lower turnout.

PRC

Quote from: Barrister on April 17, 2019, 06:38:41 PM
Apparently turnout was at 70%, second highest ever, and highest since the early 80s.

https://globalnews.ca/news/5179026/alberta-election-voter-turnout-70-per-cent/

That's pleasant - we're usually inundated with stories of ever-lower turnout.

The advance polls system this time around was excellent.  Made voting super easy almost anywhere.

saskganesh

I read they had a "vote anywhere" provision for advance polls, which is great.

Perhaps one could thank the NDP for that.
humans were created in their own image

viper37

Quote from: saskganesh on April 17, 2019, 01:49:09 PM
This is more depressing news, but then, I think, perhaps one of these Conservative leaders who keep getting elected will have a Road to Damascus moment and become a credible leader on climate change. Like LBJ and Civil Rights or Gorbachev with Glasnost.: risk every dime of political capital  in order to do The Right Thing and make a different future.

I wouldn't count on it anytime soon.  The left has monopilized environmental protection and anyone pragmatic stands accused of killing the planet.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on April 17, 2019, 02:59:10 PM
Also you guys need to stop having segregated schools for just Muslims. Separate can never be equal Canada.
that would be tricky to do.  Freedom of religion and all that ;)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.