And we're back!

Main Menu

Sovereign debt bubble thread

Started by MadImmortalMan, March 10, 2011, 02:49:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Quote from: Barrister on May 06, 2013, 03:14:05 PM
What an absolutely appalling display of ignorance on your part.  :mad:

Well... he didn't display it, did he? He mostly listened.

Barrister

Quote from: Jacob on May 06, 2013, 03:26:04 PM
Quote from: Barrister on May 06, 2013, 03:14:05 PM
What an absolutely appalling display of ignorance on your part.  :mad:

Well... he didn't display it, did he? He mostly listened.

'Twas a joke Jake. 
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Zanza on May 06, 2013, 03:10:57 PM
Inflation has fallen to 1.2% in the Eurozone. That leaves a lot of room to print money to write off bad debt.

It certainly does. Like I said, knock yourselves out.  I've got no skin in the game.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: mongers on May 06, 2013, 03:15:57 PM
I don't deny it, I need a reading list.   :blush:

Try Jeffrey Williamson and Robert C. Allen.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

mongers

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on May 06, 2013, 04:52:16 PM
Quote from: mongers on May 06, 2013, 03:15:57 PM
I don't deny it, I need a reading list.   :blush:

Try Jeffrey Williamson and Robert C. Allen.

Thanks t's a start, but I should point out I know next to nothing about the British economics of the period 1750-1900. And my knowledge of the political and social history is only slightly better.

It's odd as I was reading about the swing riots, corn laws and so forth the other day and thinking to myself, this is both an interesting and quite important period, I should know more and a few days later I'm chatting with this guy/professor whose area of expertise in early 19th century British economic history.   :hmm:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

The Minsky Moment

This is a pretty low difficulty factor book that covers the period, focusing on trade: http://www.amazon.com/War-Wine-Taxes-Political-Anglo-French/dp/0691129177
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

mongers

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on May 06, 2013, 05:05:04 PM
This is a pretty low difficulty factor book that covers the period, focusing on trade: http://www.amazon.com/War-Wine-Taxes-Political-Anglo-French/dp/0691129177

Thanks for that, I'll look into it, I note it's on one of your favourite 'subjects' :cheers:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Iormlund

Quote from: Zanza on May 06, 2013, 03:06:01 PM
So it is completely unthinkable that the next three quarters have unemployment at 26.9%? That's not really such a great achievement and it would be all that's needed to make the prognosis true. Just takes some more workers in tourism and agriculture in summer and it works out.

I guess it could happen (actually last month's employment went up by 46k most likely due to Easter). However summer tourist season hasn't been enough to compensate the negative trend of the rest of the economy during the crisis (only mildly during the hopeful 2010).

Iormlund

I spent a couple hours this afternoon at a European job fair. About a hundred job seekers while I was there, pretty much all engineers by the look of it (most under 40 years old).

Busiest stands by far: Denmark and Norway.

The German stand was virtually empty and, unlike the Scandies, the staff was not particularly helpful.

Phillip V

Quote from: Iormlund on May 16, 2013, 03:36:37 PM
Busiest stands by far: Denmark and Norway.

The German stand was virtually empty and, unlike the Scandies, the staff was not particularly helpful.
Find success where nobody else wants to go. :)

Iormlund

I'm guessing it's mostly down to the language barrier. The first thing the Germans asked was 'sprechen Sie Deutsch?' while the Scandies merely looked hungrily at you and said: 'so, my dear, what kind of engineer are you?' :lol:

My problem with the German (and Dutch) delegations is they weren't able to tell me how would I be able to deal with my condition. The Scandies, OTOH, were very straightforward: In Norway you are entitled to full coverage once you've worked 4 weeks. In Denmark, as soon as you have a signed contract.

Phillip V

My current employer hired me on the condition that they provide me no health coverage. :)

fhdz

Quote from: Phillip V on May 16, 2013, 04:15:02 PM
My current employer hired me on the condition that they provide me no health coverage. :)

That's going to become more and more common, thanks to Obamacare.
and the horse you rode in on

Iormlund

If current estimates prove to be true* and the trend holds, over 15% of the workforce will be pretty much unemployable by the time firms start hiring again.

* :lol: