And we're back!

Main Menu

The Great Union-Busting Thread

Started by Admiral Yi, March 06, 2011, 01:50:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

Quote from: Habbaku on March 14, 2011, 04:42:44 PM
:lol:  The originality continues.
I think you're being unfair, Strix can be original.  Nobody else has called me "Monkey Rider" or something to that effect, you have to have a unique level of stupidity/insanity to come up with that one.

DGuller

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 14, 2011, 04:49:30 PM
I'll see if I can get some results with slightly better manners.
That hurts, Yi, that hurts a lot.  :(

Admiral Yi

Quote from: DGuller on March 14, 2011, 04:55:22 PM
That hurts, Yi, that hurts a lot.  :(
If the glove fits,
you must ragequit.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Razgovory

Quote from: Strix on March 14, 2011, 04:40:54 PM
Quote from: Habbaku on March 14, 2011, 04:36:21 PM
:lol: Give up now, DG.  You can't debate that which cannot be debated.

Do you drink the kool-aid straight from the cup? Or do you get enough swallowing Berkut's load?

I don't think Berkut is going to be president anytime soon.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Strix

Don't you think the "Education" number is primarily teachers' salaries?

No, for example, in New York roughly $16,000 per student was spent on education in 2007. The average class size is between 20-25 and the average teachers salary is around $60,000. So, the first four students in every class pay for the teacher ($64,000) and the rest of the students provide $224,000 to the system. That's probably 20-25% of the budget towards salaries.
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

Berkut

Quote from: Strix on March 14, 2011, 08:20:46 PM

Don't you think the "Education" number is primarily teachers' salaries?

No, for example, in New York roughly $16,000 per student was spent on education in 2007. The average class size is between 20-25 and the average teachers salary is around $60,000. So, the first four students in every class pay for the teacher ($64,000) and the rest of the students provide $224,000 to the system. That's probably 20-25% of the budget towards salaries.

LOL, that is a pretty interesting way of figuring that out.

Of course, one could just look at the numbers instead, and see that nearly half of the total budget spent by New York on education goes towards salaries.

Hint: More than just teachers get paid a salary...but hey, you are only off by a factor of two - that is pretty good for you!
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Berkut

http://www.usatoday.com/news/education/2010-06-29-school-spending_N.htm

New York public schools top nation in per-student spending    *

By Cara Matthews, The Ithaca Journal
ALBANY, N.Y. — New York spent $17,173 per student for public education in 2007-08, more than any other state and 67% more than the U.S. average, according to U.S. Census Bureau statistics released Monday.

The $10,259 national average — $6,914 less than New York — was a 6.1% increase over 2006-07, the Census Bureau said. New York's spending went up 7.4% over the two years. New York's per-student spending was highest in 2006-07 too at $15,981 per student, and the national average was $9,666.

Eighteen states and the District of Columbia spent more than $10,259 and 32 spent less in the 2007-08 school year. States and state equivalents that came close to New York's spending per student in 2007-08 were New Jersey ($16,491), Alaska ($14,630), the District of Columbia ($14,594), Vermont ($14,300) and Connecticut ($13,848), the Census Bureau found. At the other end of the spectrum were Utah ($5,765), Idaho ($6,931), Arizona ($7,608), Oklahoma ($7,685) and Tennessee ($7,739).

Public education is the single largest category of all state and local government expenditures, Lisa Blumerman, chief of the Census Bureau's Governments Division, said in a statement.

In New York, lawmakers and Gov. David Paterson have been considering placing a cap on how much school-district expenses can increase each year as a way of providing property-tax relief to strapped homeowners. The amount of property taxes that went to New York education in 2007-08 was $14.8 billion, compared to $14.1 billion in 2006-07, the Census Bureau said.

Paterson and lawmakers are also fighting over how much aid to provide to schools. Members of the Assembly and Senate said they plan to pass a joint budget that restores $600 million of the governor's proposed $1.4 billion school-aid cut. The governor's revised budget proposal would restore $300 million of the $1.4 billion cut.

Public schools nationally spent $593.2 billion in 2007-08, a 6% jump over the previous year, the census report said.

Total funding that public-school systems received in 2008 was $582.1 billion, 4.5% more than in 2006-07. State governments' portion of that totaled 48.3% and local governments contributed 43.7%. The remaining 8.1% came from federal sources, the report said.

In New York, state government's portion was 45.4% in 2007-08, and local governments contributed 48.7% of the total, with 5.9% from federal sources. The spread in 2006-07 was 45.2% from the state, 48.4% from local governments and 6.5% from federal sources.

Outstanding debt at the end of the 2006-07 fiscal year was $28.7 billion in New York, and it increased to $29.5 billion the following year, census statistics show. The amount of revenue New York received from the federal government dropped from one year to the next — from $3.3 billion to $3.1 billion.

The report was compiled based on data from all 15,569 public-school districts around the U.S.

Other highlights in the 2007-08 report:

• School districts' debt totaled $377.4 billion, a 7.9% increase.

• The largest single category of spending was for instructional salaries, which were $203.5 billion, 40.2% of the total.

• Louisiana had the highest percentage of public-school funding from the federal government at 16.8%, followed by Mississippi (16%) and South Dakota (15.2%). The lowest percentages were in New Jersey (3.9%), Connecticut (4.2%) and Massachusetts (5.1%).

• Vermont had the highest percentage of state-government funding at 88.5%, followed by 84.8% in Hawaii, where state government runs elementary and secondary education. States with the lowest percentages of funding from state government were Nebraska (33%), South Dakota (33.2%) and Illinois (33.8%).

• States with the highest percentage of local-government funding were Illinois (58.2%), Nebraska (57.3%) and Connecticut (57.3%). The lowest were Hawaii (3%), Vermont (5%) and Arkansas (13.4%).

• Nearly 64% of revenue for public education from local sources came from property taxes.
Copyright 2010 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

0 rows returned

Berkut

0 rows returned

garbon

Quote from: Caliga on March 14, 2011, 05:42:06 PM
Wait, is Berkut gay? :o

I think it is best to let people self-identify.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Strix

Quote from: Berkut on March 14, 2011, 08:29:09 PM
http://www.usatoday.com/news/education/2010-06-29-school-spending_N.htm

New York public schools top nation in per-student spending    *

By Cara Matthews, The Ithaca Journal
ALBANY, N.Y. — New York spent $17,173 per student for public education in 2007-08, more than any other state and 67% more than the U.S. average, according to U.S. Census Bureau statistics released Monday.

The $10,259 national average — $6,914 less than New York — was a 6.1% increase over 2006-07, the Census Bureau said. New York's spending went up 7.4% over the two years. New York's per-student spending was highest in 2006-07 too at $15,981 per student, and the national average was $9,666.

Eighteen states and the District of Columbia spent more than $10,259 and 32 spent less in the 2007-08 school year. States and state equivalents that came close to New York's spending per student in 2007-08 were New Jersey ($16,491), Alaska ($14,630), the District of Columbia ($14,594), Vermont ($14,300) and Connecticut ($13,848), the Census Bureau found. At the other end of the spectrum were Utah ($5,765), Idaho ($6,931), Arizona ($7,608), Oklahoma ($7,685) and Tennessee ($7,739).

Public education is the single largest category of all state and local government expenditures, Lisa Blumerman, chief of the Census Bureau's Governments Division, said in a statement.

In New York, lawmakers and Gov. David Paterson have been considering placing a cap on how much school-district expenses can increase each year as a way of providing property-tax relief to strapped homeowners. The amount of property taxes that went to New York education in 2007-08 was $14.8 billion, compared to $14.1 billion in 2006-07, the Census Bureau said.

Paterson and lawmakers are also fighting over how much aid to provide to schools. Members of the Assembly and Senate said they plan to pass a joint budget that restores $600 million of the governor's proposed $1.4 billion school-aid cut. The governor's revised budget proposal would restore $300 million of the $1.4 billion cut.

Public schools nationally spent $593.2 billion in 2007-08, a 6% jump over the previous year, the census report said.

Total funding that public-school systems received in 2008 was $582.1 billion, 4.5% more than in 2006-07. State governments' portion of that totaled 48.3% and local governments contributed 43.7%. The remaining 8.1% came from federal sources, the report said.

In New York, state government's portion was 45.4% in 2007-08, and local governments contributed 48.7% of the total, with 5.9% from federal sources. The spread in 2006-07 was 45.2% from the state, 48.4% from local governments and 6.5% from federal sources.

Outstanding debt at the end of the 2006-07 fiscal year was $28.7 billion in New York, and it increased to $29.5 billion the following year, census statistics show. The amount of revenue New York received from the federal government dropped from one year to the next — from $3.3 billion to $3.1 billion.

The report was compiled based on data from all 15,569 public-school districts around the U.S.

Other highlights in the 2007-08 report:

• School districts' debt totaled $377.4 billion, a 7.9% increase.

• The largest single category of spending was for instructional salaries, which were $203.5 billion, 40.2% of the total.

• Louisiana had the highest percentage of public-school funding from the federal government at 16.8%, followed by Mississippi (16%) and South Dakota (15.2%). The lowest percentages were in New Jersey (3.9%), Connecticut (4.2%) and Massachusetts (5.1%).

• Vermont had the highest percentage of state-government funding at 88.5%, followed by 84.8% in Hawaii, where state government runs elementary and secondary education. States with the lowest percentages of funding from state government were Nebraska (33%), South Dakota (33.2%) and Illinois (33.8%).

• States with the highest percentage of local-government funding were Illinois (58.2%), Nebraska (57.3%) and Connecticut (57.3%). The lowest were Hawaii (3%), Vermont (5%) and Arkansas (13.4%).

• Nearly 64% of revenue for public education from local sources came from property taxes.
Copyright 2010 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Have any data on New York's spending on salaries? Not really interested in the National. Regardless, even if salaries were 50% of the Education budget ($66 Billion) than that is still $33 Billion in spending that could be changed along with $55+ Billion in Welfare. That's around $90-100 Billion dollars that is filled with waste and corruption that the government doesn't want people to focus on.

Berkut, enjoy your drink. The politicians love to lead people like you around by the nose.  :lol:
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

Berkut

I love it - he is completely wrong, off by a factor of 2, but I am the one being led around by the nose. Right. And his answer is the age old "why, just reduce waste in some OTHER part of the budget!"

Of course, only one of us has a direct and personal interest in protecting his spot at the government trough.

0 rows returned

Habbaku

You're just drinking the Kool-Aid.  :mad:
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

DGuller

Quote from: Habbaku on March 14, 2011, 10:38:42 PM
You're just drinking the Kool-Aid.  :mad:
And you're just, :unsure:, uh, I won't say anything.  :shutup: