News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Great Union-Busting Thread

Started by Admiral Yi, March 06, 2011, 01:50:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Berkut on March 12, 2011, 03:47:16 PM
and their working conditions are generally considerably superior to the private sector.

Man, you just love to drink the tea.

11B4V

Quote from: KRonn on March 12, 2011, 03:25:40 PM
Federal employees don't have collective bargaining, right? I've seen that reported a few times, though I'm not sure. Maybe some do but most don't? In any event, they seem to do well without it, good wages and benefits without collective bargaining.

A good percentage do and some dont. Unions are a big part of the federal work force minus the actiove duty military of course.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Strix

Quote from: dps on March 12, 2011, 08:10:25 PM
The big problem with public sector unions is that, unlike private employers, the government officials the unions negotiate with often have very little incentive to negotiate the best deal possible, and in fact in many instances favor the positions of the union leadership, rather than those of the employers (i.e., the taxpayers).

What would the point be of bribing if this wasn't the case?
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

Razgovory

Government officials who negotiate deals with anyone rarely have the incentive to get the best deal possible.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on March 13, 2011, 02:50:16 PM
Government officials who negotiate deals with anyone rarely have the incentive to get the best deal possible.

They do now.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on March 14, 2011, 10:20:22 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on March 13, 2011, 02:50:16 PM

They do now.

They do?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on March 14, 2011, 10:38:35 AM
They do?

With state & federal budgets the way they are, voters are starting to pay more attention to government expenditures.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Barrister

The big problem with public sector unions is that, unlike private employers, the government officials the unions negotiate with often have very little incentive to negotiate the best deal possible, and in fact in many instances favor the positions of the union leadership, rather than those of the employers (i.e., the taxpayers).

I meant to report to this at the time.

With respect, that is not the "big problem" with public sector unions.  Government has plenty of incentives to negotiate the best deal possible (they are, after all, accountable to voters).

The problem with the public sector is there is no exposure to market forces.  A private sector company has to maintain profits.  The union therefore can only demand up to what the company is able to pay in benefits.  There's plenty of room to quibble about what that precise level is, but that's the ultimate economic reality.

That's not the case in the public sector.  The government has, theoretically, an unlimited ability to pay (they can always just raise taxes).  It's completely removed from any market forces.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on March 14, 2011, 12:30:18 PM
They do?

With state & federal budgets the way they are, voters are starting to pay more attention to government expenditures.

Well, they become interested in it.  I wouldn't say they are paying attention.  Most people don't understand it.

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on March 14, 2011, 12:54:33 PM
Well, they become interested in it.  I wouldn't say they are paying attention.  Most people don't understand it.

Heck I don't.  Every number is cooked to some extent.  What is really true is a matter of conjecture.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Berkut

Quote from: Barrister on March 14, 2011, 12:47:36 PM

With respect, that is not the "big problem" with public sector unions.  Government has plenty of incentives to negotiate the best deal possible (they are, after all, accountable to voters).

In theory, this is true.

But there are two problems with this when it comes to public sector unions:

1. The unions themselves are full of voters. And they are voters that vote in blocks, and are perfectly willing to destroy any Democrat who has the nerve to challenge them. And there are a huge number of them, since they will also combine their votes to destroy politicians who do not give them what they want.

2. There is something politicians need to get votes. Money. And lots of it. Unions can provide that money. So there is a nice deal going. Unions give politicians lots of money and votes, politicians reward the unions with sweetheart deals so their members get more money, and then some percentage of that money gets to go right back to the politicians who got them the money to begin with - what a nice cycle.

Of course, the "other" party is going to try to break that cycle if they can - they certainly are not going to get any of that money or votes, and hence are not obligated to the unions. They have their own sets of obligations of course...

But the "system" by which states like New York end up with a public sector that is literally not sustainable, even for a ridiculously wealthy state like New York, is very, very broken. I can certainly understand the hesitancy of replacing Dems who are beholden to unions with Republicans that are beholden to business, but that doesn't mean that the system of public service unions is not grossly perversely incented (from a non-union taxpayers perspective).
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Barrister

Quote from: Berkut on March 14, 2011, 01:03:09 PM
Quote from: Barrister on March 14, 2011, 12:47:36 PM

In theory, this is true.

But there are two problems with this when it comes to public sector unions:

1. The unions themselves are full of voters. And they are voters that vote in blocks, and are perfectly willing to destroy any Democrat who has the nerve to challenge them. And there are a huge number of them, since they will also combine their votes to destroy politicians who do not give them what they want.

2. There is something politicians need to get votes. Money. And lots of it. Unions can provide that money. So there is a nice deal going. Unions give politicians lots of money and votes, politicians reward the unions with sweetheart deals so their members get more money, and then some percentage of that money gets to go right back to the politicians who got them the money to begin with - what a nice cycle.

Of course, the "other" party is going to try to break that cycle if they can - they certainly are not going to get any of that money or votes, and hence are not obligated to the unions. They have their own sets of obligations of course...

But the "system" by which states like New York end up with a public sector that is literally not sustainable, even for a ridiculously wealthy state like New York, is very, very broken. I can certainly understand the hesitancy of replacing Dems who are beholden to unions with Republicans that are beholden to business, but that doesn't mean that the system of public service unions is not grossly perversely incented (from a non-union taxpayers perspective).

#1 - unions are actually very bad at getting their members to vote en mass.  The Republicans get a substantial number of union voters (even if not a majority of them).

#2 - well that's a problem for any kind of interest group though.

I stand by what I said - the "problem" with public sector unions are there are no market forces at work to enforce any kind of discipline.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Berkut

Quote from: Barrister on March 14, 2011, 01:08:21 PM
#1 - unions are actually very bad at getting their members to vote en mass.  The Republicans get a substantial number of union voters (even if not a majority of them).

I stand by what I said - the "problem" with public sector unions are there are no market forces at work to enforce any kind of discipline.

I wasn't really disagreeing with you. Just pointing out that the lack of market forces isn't real sufficient to explain things. The lack of market forces combined with the forces that replace them (political forces) is the problem.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

KRonn

Quote from: Berkut on March 14, 2011, 01:13:34 PM
Quote from: Barrister on March 14, 2011, 01:08:21 PM

I wasn't really disagreeing with you. Just pointing out that the lack of market forces isn't real sufficient to explain things. The lack of market forces combined with the forces that replace them (political forces) is the problem.
No problem. We just have to embrace the idea of becoming more like Greece, or France. Wait until all these folks go on strike!   <_<

Strix

Quote from: derspiess on March 14, 2011, 12:30:18 PM
They do?

I'd say the voters anger is being misdirected. The various governments are running a great campaign of bait and switch. They have everyone starting to focus on public sector employees as the cause of all the woe and taxes when the reality is that public sector employees make up a small percentage of most budgets.

Education (not salaries) and Welfare are out of control. The government has done a masterful job of defocusing people from the real budget issue.
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher