News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

Gatsby's got more than a few advance reviews.  The consensus isn't good, but all the criticism of Luhrmann's excess really just makes me want to see it more.  Many of these dummies thought Pain & Gain was a bad movie too.

I did like this one bit from the Variety review by Scott Foundas:

QuoteIn the notes for his unfinished final novel, "The Last Tycoon," Fitzgerald famously wrote, "action is character," but for Luhrmann action is production design

WELL IT IS.

I also enjoyed David Denby's review.  He seemed to be going in with a open mind--some of the critics I've read openly if obliquely admit that they didn't--but still didn't like it very much, which is OK, because it may in fact suck.  However, this line:

QuoteMulligan is not elegantly beautiful

made me wonder what movie he saw, because I've seen the trailer.  That creature is all the justification any putative Gatsby needs. :wub:
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

katmai

Quote from: Ideologue on May 07, 2013, 02:24:59 AM
Gatsby's got more than a few advance reviews.  The consensus isn't good, but all the criticism of Luhrmann's excess really just makes me want to see it more. Many of these dummies thought Pain & Gain was a bad movie too.

:bleeding:
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Josquius

Quote from: Ideologue on May 06, 2013, 07:49:01 PM
Quote from: Berkut on May 06, 2013, 10:03:32 AM
Quote from: katmai on May 06, 2013, 02:59:44 AM
Ide's taste in movies. :bleeding:

No shit. Oz the Stupid and Boring gets a C? That was one of the worst movies I've seen in a long time. Took the entire family - the wife is a Oz fanatic, both kids wanted to see it, and all four of us walked out saying it was stupid and boring.

Even my 9 year old daughter, who thinks EVERYTHING is great, thought it was lame.

Well, I'll tell you something that may enlighten you as to my grades--I had a B average in law school.  So, you know, that's a data point for you. :P

And I do think you're being overly harsh.  It was watchable.  It wasn't a total failure, like Total Recall or Prometheus.  It was just, you know, not very good.  A C+ is something I'd say is worth watching once, to see if it turns out you like it, but personally I doubt I'll ever feel like watching it again.
'a total failure, like Total Recall or Prometheus'?
:huh:
Prometheus was pretty good if you don't think about it too much.
Total Recall goes a bit off the rails, starts great and becomes mediocre, wouldn't say total failure.
██████
██████
██████

Syt

Ide and Tyr disucssing movies. :P

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Viking

Quote from: Ideologue on May 06, 2013, 07:51:26 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on May 06, 2013, 07:47:37 PM
It's like reading a redacted government document in here now.

I don't want to get yelled at for spoiling the underwhelming twistiness.

Start a spoiled thread and I'll defend Iron Man 3. None of the Iron Man twists are any more inconsistent than Bane not being on Venom, working for the league of assasins and being Talia al Ghul's bitch, or Ducard secretly being Ra's.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Berkut

Oz the Uninteresting and Idiotic was a total failure as a movie. It is the first movie in a LONG time that I walked out thinking "Well, I want my two hours back".
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Neil

Quote from: Syt on May 07, 2013, 12:35:08 AM
WaPo has some more details. It appears he's shilling for a milk-based drink, and a Chinese doctor is imperative to keeping him healthy:
So Iron Man has to swill various parts of rare animals to survive?

China really needs to die.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Kleves

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

Ideologue

Quote from: Kleves on May 07, 2013, 09:05:55 AM
Venture Brothers: The Story so Far: http://www.ign.com/videos/2013/05/07/venture-bros-the-story-so-far

Whoa, pretty neat.  I've belatedly realized that Doc Hammer does both Dr. Girlfriend, and Gary.  That's weird. :lol:
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Quote from: Berkut on May 07, 2013, 06:50:15 AM
Oz the Uninteresting and Idiotic was a total failure as a movie. It is the first movie in a LONG time that I walked out thinking "Well, I want my two hours back".

I can see where you're coming from, but still think there were enough fun parts to redeem it from the trash pile.

Hey, Syt: FU.  Josq is a pretty good dude, but obviously has no taste.  I'm the arbiter of culture: I see the good in what others reflexively deride, the bad in what others uncritically adore.  I attempt objectivity.

Speaking of which, Lincoln (2012).  What must be the best acted History Channel special of all time, and the only TV movie of which I am aware to ever get nominated for an Oscar.  Kudos to all involved!

No, there's nothing wrong with Lincoln.  It's good and engaging, with great performances, and an occasionally impressive vision of America at the end of the Civil War, but is mainly a film about people sitting in badly lit rooms being slowly and gently talked out of being human garbage by a faintly amusing man in a tall hat.  As interesting as Spielberg manages to make the passage of a (however important) piece of legislation, it's not exactly the most cinematic piece of cinema I've ever seen. B
Kinemalogue

AnchorClanker

Decided to watch The Poseidon Adventure last night - seeing Gene Hackman and Ernest Borgnine yell at each other = WIN.

I haven't seen it since I was a kid, and it was an afternoon matinee on Channel 12, back when it was independent (before Fox bought it) :blush:
The final wisdom of life requires not the annulment of incongruity but the achievement of serenity within and above it.  - Reinhold Niebuhr

crazy canuck

Quote from: AnchorClanker on May 08, 2013, 05:39:29 PM
Decided to watch The Poseidon Adventure last night - seeing Gene Hackman and Ernest Borgnine yell at each other = WIN.

I haven't seen it since I was a kid, and it was an afternoon matinee on Channel 12, back when it was independent (before Fox bought it) :blush:

I loved that movie.

Josephus

Saw that when I was a kid too. Every now and then when it's on TV I'll catch bits of it. It is a classic disaster movie.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Admiral Yi

The one bad scene is when everyone in the ballroom is disco dancing to the theme song. :lol:

Ideologue

I need to see that at some point.

Also, Towering Inferno.
Kinemalogue