News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

I used to love the Nostalgia Critic reviews, mostly because Doug acts like a comic book caricature of a real life film nerd friend of mine in them.

But the recent ones with the "comic sketches" spliced into the reviews ... yuck.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Ideologue

Quote from: Syt on April 20, 2013, 01:34:56 AM
I used to love the Nostalgia Critic reviews, mostly because Doug acts like a comic book caricature of a real life film nerd friend of mine in them.

But the recent ones with the "comic sketches" spliced into the reviews ... yuck.

Well, as much as this is about TV or movies, I'll bite.

Recent?  If you mean their sketch bits, they've been doing that for years.  And it's always been their downfall.  The only ones from that gang who've routinely, maybe ever, credibly performed in sketch bits have been Noah Antweiler and Brad Jones, because they're the only two who combine being halfway decent sketch writers with being basically talented comic actors and possessing a vague idea of when their impenetrable self-indulgence should stop.  This isn't to say I don't like a lot of the That Guy peoples' reviews, as I do.  For a while, I was really in love with the format, minus the extremely hit-and-miss but apparently fan-pleasing attempts at non-review comedy.  Then Kickassia, two and a half hours of bad non-review comedy, happened.  After that, I think I didn't watch any of 'em other than Spoony, Snob, and Todd for something like six months, and I'm still a pretty spotty viewer even of those guys (though Spoony makes that pretty easy by having what appears to be a genuine crippling mental disability).  I'll talk about the worst movies I've ever seen, After Last Season, Monster A-Go-Go, Battle Royale II--Kickassia really can be discussed in the same breath.  Truly awful, F-grade stuff.

As an aside, I still say I don't understand why Chuck Sonnenberg (SF Debris) has never been invited to join the site.  I kinda wanna think he blew 'em off, but that'd be ironic because he's essentially the most professional Blip reviewer on the air.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Syt

Well, with sktech bits I mean having an overarching narrative in the NC reviews in the form of sketch sequences - I don't mean using a cutaway scene as a gag or punchline. And I mean the NC reviews only, not Cinema Snob, Film Brain, Obscurus Lupa, Diamanda Hagan, Angry Joe etc.

I probably wouldn't mind so much, but I find the extra bits overly long, unfunny and a nuisance to sit through. I think Son of the Mask was the worst in that regard. I never cared much for his homemade DVD-release movies, either. In fact, I've pretty much stopped watching he NC reviews, though I still like his older material.

I hope Kyle/Oancitizen comes back, though (he took a break to finish his master's degree). There's too few arthouse reviewers.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Ideologue

He was alright, but dude's schtick could get a little wearying.

And yeah, I meant the continuing bits.  Maybe sketch isn't the right word, because sketch implies and a sharply delimited scene--a lot of the times those weren't/aren't great either, but they're brief.  It was the continuing narratives that really drove me up the wall.  Linkara/Louvhaug was for a good long while unwatchable due to this.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

dps

Quote from: Syt on April 20, 2013, 02:55:18 AM
Well, with sktech bits I mean having an overarching narrative in the NC reviews in the form of sketch sequences - I don't mean using a cutaway scene as a gag or punchline. And I mean the NC reviews only, not Cinema Snob, Film Brain, Obscurus Lupa, Diamanda Hagan, Angry Joe etc.

I probably wouldn't mind so much, but I find the extra bits overly long, unfunny and a nuisance to sit through. I think Son of the Mask was the worst in that regard. I never cared much for his homemade DVD-release movies, either. In fact, I've pretty much stopped watching he NC reviews, though I still like his older material.

I hope Kyle/Oancitizen comes back, though (he took a break to finish his master's degree). There's too few arthouse reviewers.

Agree.  The reviews done after he supposedly stopped doing the NC and then decided to continue them after all have been very disappointing.  Perhaps an example of what TV Tropes would call "Came Back Wrong".

Kleves

Oblivion. Andrea Riseborough > Olga Kurylenko. That is all.
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

Neil

Quote from: Kleves on April 20, 2013, 08:55:11 AM
Yeah.  I was entertained, but the movie suffers from a science gap somewhat common to the genre.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Berkut

Come on, quit being coy. Was it good or not?

And for reference, Prometheus was not good.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Neil

Hmmm...  It wasn't as dumb as Prometheus, but it was similar in some ways.  It's worth a chance.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

11B4V

Caught a good part of, "The Killing Fields" this morning before work. Hadnt seen it in close to 20 years. Forgot how good it was.

There was nothing wrong with Prometheus. Quits being alein snobs.  :P
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Queequeg

Quote from: Kleves on April 20, 2013, 08:55:11 AM
Considering this is all hypothetical I'm going to have to go with "both".
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Eddie Teach

Based on the pics I've seen, I'll give the edge to Kurylenko. I like Riseborough's pallor, but she also has a rounder face(in the pics on google) and a bit of a smirk. Could easily change mind given video evidence.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Berkut

I went and saw it tonight.

I thought it was a good movie, enjoyed it quite a bit.

Not even close to the logical disaster that Prometheus was - I am sure there are plenty of plot wholes, but nothing that was just unworkable.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Syt

Quote from: 11B4V on April 20, 2013, 08:58:49 PM
There was nothing wrong with Prometheus.

:wacko: Plot holes you could drive the Nostromo through, characters ("scientists", mostly) who have neither common sense nor logical thinking . . . No, nothing wrong here. The only ray of hope in that giant heap of dung was Michael Fassbender's performance.
—Stephen Jay Gould

11B4V

Quote from: Syt on April 21, 2013, 12:16:18 AM
Quote from: 11B4V on April 20, 2013, 08:58:49 PM
There was nothing wrong with Prometheus.

:wacko: Plot holes you could drive the Nostromo through, characters ("scientists", mostly) who have neither common sense nor logical thinking . . . No, nothing wrong here. The only ray of hope in that giant heap of dung was Michael Fassbender's performance.
All to be answered in the sequels.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".