News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Just watched Django Unchained. Although I had heard good things I was surprised by how good it actually was. Goes to show that Tarantino actually can do a good conventional genre flick with one main plot, no complicated flashbacks and with a minimum of Tarantino dialogue (though the bit with the hoods had me laughing tears). Waltz is the same character type as in Inglorious Basterds, only a good guy this time. Di Caprio is hamming it up to 11. Foxx does a decent job as straight man, understated and sombre. Biggest surprise to me was Sam Jackson who shows that he can act if he wants to and not only play the tough looking badass. The last half hour was not as good as the rest, but I thought a fitting conclusion - finishing the Brunhilde legend allred to earlier, and proving that Django has come into his own and doesn't require his mentor anymore. Some of the bits depicting hw slaves are treated were pretty sombering, more so than I would have expected from QT. And what's with Don Johnson playing racist southerners?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

A few more thoughts: this was certainly the western with most uses of the N-word since Blazing Saddles (and probably tops that).

Again, surprised how conventional the movie was compared to Tarantino's other works - not that it works to the film's detriment in this case: it's a glowing love letter to the spaghetti western genre.

I thought there was a bit of a disconnect in the tones of the violence. The shootouts, and the violence by the heroes is almost cartoonishly overblown with buckets of blood. At the same time, the violence fostered upon the slaves is gritty and realistic, and tries to avoid too much detail. Some of the shots kinda wanted to make me shout "SYMBOLISM!!! OMGWTFBBQ!!!" in Film-Brain-style, because they were so unsubtle - like the one with the blood spraying over the white cotton.

You could see that the actors had buckets of fun with their roles, and that's infectious for the audience.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Josquius

Cloud Atlas- At first I Was thinking its the best thing ever. But boy does it drag on. Think I dozed off in the middle. It was good but not the sheer awesomeness I had been expecting.
██████
██████
██████

The Larch

Quote from: Syt on January 29, 2013, 01:32:56 AMI thought there was a bit of a disconnect in the tones of the violence. The shootouts, and the violence by the heroes is almost cartoonishly overblown with buckets of blood. At the same time, the violence fostered upon the slaves is gritty and realistic, and tries to avoid too much detail.

Mmm, I watched it last saturday and didn't come to realize this separation of violence in two different levels depending on the victims. I guess I just filled it mentally under "Violence" and got done with it.

Syt

Well, maybe it's my impression, but I think there's two kinds of violence going on for narrative purposes - the heroes are meant to be cheered, so the effects are cartoonishly overblown, because we want them to give the baddies a good thrashing. I mean, look at the instances where a guy is wounded on the ground and gets hit by a few more straight bullets - the audience laughs.

Look instead at the whipping, torturing or being torn apart by dogs (or the Mandingo Fight) which are gritty, (mostly) realistic, not shown in too graphic detail, and overall very uncomfortable to elicit sympathy for the victims.

Just like the movie's tone kept switching between a fun, jovial tone and the serious tone (and actually pulling it off for the most part without mood whiplash).
—Stephen Jay Gould

The Larch

I don't thik it's just your impression, IMO you're spot on about it. Violence against black slaves in the movie is brutal, while violence against the slavers is over the top.

garbon

He wanted to spoon feed gratification.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Grallon on January 27, 2013, 08:23:59 PM
Can somebody explain to me the rationale behind a year delay (or almost) between S2 and S3 of Game of Throne?  Other than the  money factor (greedy executives trying to cash in on the previous season's returns for their quarterly bonuses reviews) that is?

yes clearly the way to increase the "quarterly bonuses" (whatever those are) is to decrease your viewership.

The reality is they need all the delay they can get so that the writer can get to the end.  Expect about 5-10 years between 4 and 5.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

crazy canuck

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on January 29, 2013, 01:24:04 PM
The reality is they need all the delay they can get so that the writer can get to the end.  Expect about 5-10 years between 4 and 5.
:lol:

Liep

Cube. Good film and thrilling all the way to the end, proves that script > cgi.

8 rooms out of 10.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Josephus

Yeah, that was a good movie.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Syt

Too bad Cube 2: Hypercube was such a letdown. I still have to watch Cube 0, though.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Josquius

Has anyone else seen the new episodes of Yes Prime Minister?
Only seen the first episode but so far its pretty good. Better than the new Red Dwarfs anyway.
██████
██████
██████

Sophie Scholl

I finally managed to catch Shadow of the Vampire.  Wow.  Great film.  I've seen Nosferatu a few times, and being versed in it added so many additional layers of awesome to the movie.  Throw in my love of silent movies and Murnau's works and you have all kinds of fantastic elements at play. :thumbsup:
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

katmai

You hadn't seen it till now?!?!
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son