News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

The Larch

Quote from: HVC on October 24, 2022, 06:43:40 AMToo many kids  :blush:  :D

Just so you know, there's supposed to be a fourth brother on the Alicent side that hasn't appeared in the show but exists in the books. I believe they've handwaved him in the show claiming that he's being fostered in Oldtown.

The Brain

Loft (2010). Not to be confused with Loft (2008) or The Loft (2014). Five bros share access to a love nest for meeting their mistresses, but when a dead body shows up who can they trust? It's reasonably OK. The chicks are hot.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Brain

The Larch

Guillermo del Toro has created an anthology terror show for Netflix called Cabinet of Curiosities that apparently has received great reviews. The episodes are all adaptations of short stories from different authors (including two Lovecraft ones), as well as some original Del Toro stories. Anyone here watched it already? I believe the first few episodes are already out.

celedhring

I'm still behind on HoD, so much work lately---  :(

I have a giant streaming backlog.

The Larch

Quote from: celedhring on October 26, 2022, 12:39:06 PMI'm still behind on HoD, so much work lately---  :(

Pass it off as research for future projects.  :P

grumbler

Quote from: celedhring on October 26, 2022, 12:39:06 PMI'm still behind on HoD, so much work lately---  :(

A giant steaming log?  Bad news for your plumbing.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Jacob

Quote from: HVC on October 24, 2022, 06:43:40 AMToo many kids  :blush:  :D

Just watch the show after you put them to bed.

The Brain

Akelarre. A group of young women are accused of witchcraft by the Inquisition. What weapons do you have when they have all the power, and what would count as victory? Pretty good, I liked it.

The Brain

Barbarian. Woman arriving at Airbnb finds that Pennywise is already staying there. Totally OK, brings some new oxygen to the genre.

Savonarola

The Rocky Horror Picture Show (1975)

Susan Sarandon's finest role.  (Actually I'm a little surprised the studio kept her after she refused to do a nude scene.  She was obviously not hired for her acting ability or singing.)

So long as Tim Curry is on screen it's not bad; when he's not it's not good.  The studio had originally wanted to do a bigger budget version of this with a rock star (possibly Mick Jagger) as the lead.  Fortunately (at least as far as anything concerning RHPS can called fortunate) they did relent to Richard O'Brien's demand to keep most of the original cast.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

The Brain

Hellhole. Priest arrives at isolated monastery to observe an exorcism. Slow and often dark (as in you don't see a lot), but certainly not the worst in the genre. At least you get to see the big bad happen.

Savonarola

Abbot and Costello Meet Frankenstein (1948)

This is the second, and final, time Bela Lugosi would portray Dracula (admittedly almost all his other roles were Dracula by another name.)

The convention of Frankenstein being evil because he has a criminal brain comes from the 1931 movie In all the Universal sequels, other than Bride of Frankenstein, there's an attempt to give him a good brain, but that goes hilariously awry.  This one continues that as Dracula tries to give the monster the simple, pliable brain of Lou Costello.  This also continues the Monster-Rama movies of the 40s by having Lon Chaney Jr. as the Wolfman and even a cameo by Vincent Price as the invisible man.  It's too bad they couldn't have gotten Claude Rains for the Invisible Man and Boris Karloff as Frankenstein's monster (rather than Glen Strange); still this is a great deal of fun and the best Universal Horror movie of the 40s.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock