News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

That's extremely cheap, just buying the tickets for all those people would have costed you way more  :o

Over here a local cinema organised a book fair. They're really desperate and I can't see how there won't be massive closures.

Barrister

Quote from: celedhring on December 07, 2020, 01:41:58 PM
That's extremely cheap, just buying the tickets for all those people would have costed you way more  :o

Over here a local cinema organised a book fair. They're really desperate and I can't see how there won't be massive closures.

In Canada the industry is completely dominated by one company: Cineplex.  There's a smaller competitor Landmark that's maybe about a quarter of Cineplex's size, but then that's it other than art house and indy theatres.  Any ways, I suspect they probably have the capital to be able to ride this out (and the indies are all largely non-profits anyways).
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Barrister

Following last year's Colonel Sanders Dating sim:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1121910/I_Love_You_Colonel_Sanders_A_Finger_Lickin_Good_Dating_Simulator/

Man advertising Fried Chicken seems much harder than you'd think it would be...
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Syt

There was also a novella:

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Habbaku

Quote from: The Brain on December 05, 2020, 06:25:16 PM
There's a two episode mini Euphoria season (first episode streaming now on HBO). Just a heads-up, and if you haven't seen Euphoria yet it's an excellent series and I recommend it.

Watching it based on your recommendation. I'm glad that (at least two episodes in) it's not all relentless misery.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Barrister on December 07, 2020, 03:47:07 PM
Following last year's Colonel Sanders Dating sim:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1121910/I_Love_You_Colonel_Sanders_A_Finger_Lickin_Good_Dating_Simulator/

Man advertising Fried Chicken seems much harder than you'd think it would be...

Well, considering how bland their product is compared to Popeyes.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Syt

Season 4 of Brooklyn 99. I love the detail that Amy's books are arranged by color. :lol:

—Stephen Jay Gould

Liep

Gangs of London. It's created by the guy behind the Raid movies so as expected it's very violent. It's also very good and well worth a watch.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

KRonn

I recently found and started watching Star Trek Discovery on one of the regular TV channels. I know there's a forum discussion of it here on a streaming service. It's season 1 so I'm thinking it started showing on a regular channel from the start. Anyways, I like it so far and as I like all the Star Trek TV shows and movies I'm very happy to see this. :)

Eddie Teach

Breathless, or as the French call it, About the Souffle.  ;) Pretty good film, in spite of having an extremely unlikable protagonist.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Syt

https://variety.com/2020/tv/news/nicolas-cage-history-of-swear-words-netflix-1234849387/

QuoteNicolas Cage Hosts 'History of Swear Words' Series on Netflix

Nicolas Cage will host "History of Swear Words," a proudly profane series about expletives for Netflix in January.

The six-episode series will dive into the origins, pop culture usage, science and cultural impact of swear words, such as "fuck," "shit," "bitch," "dick," "pussy" and "damn." In each 20-minute episode, Cage will conduct interviews with historians, entertainers and experts in etymology and pop culture.

Guest stars on "History of Swear Words" will include comedians like Joel Kim Booster, DeRay Davis, Open Mike Eagle, Nikki Glaser, Patti Harrison, London Hughes, Jim Jefferies, Zainab Johnson, Nick Offerman, Sarah Silverman, Baron Vaughn, and Isiah Whitlock Jr.

The series is produced by Funny or Die and B17 Entertainment, and Bellamie Blackstone serves as the showrunner and an executive producer. Fellow EPs include Mike Farah, Joe Farrell and Beth Belew for Funny Or Die and Brien Meagher and Rhett Bachner for B17 Entertainment.

The series marks Cage's latest foray into television. In May, Variety exclusively reported that the actor would play Joe Exotic, the infamous and imprisoned tiger owner in Netflix's "Tiger King," in an upcoming scripted series. Known for his extensive film history, the Joe Exotic role will be Cage's first regular TV role.

In 2020, Cage appeared in the sci-fi martial arts movie "Jiu Jiutsu" and lent his voice to the animated sequel "The Croods: A New Age," in which he reprised his role of family patriarch Grug Crood. One of Cage's next films is a meta action comedy titled "The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent," where he will play a fictionalized version of himself to save his family from a crazy super fan.

"The History of Swear Words" will premiere on Netflix on Jan. 5.

—Stephen Jay Gould

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Darth Wagtaros

We've been watching Community.  I was looking forward to the infamous Dungeons and Dragons episode, only to find it was pulled because of the PC Police. :(
PDH!