News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

Quote from: frunk on July 09, 2019, 05:11:24 AM
There's Studio Ghibli, although I suppose you could quibble over the routinely part.

Was talking Hollywood only. I'm sure there are non-American studios out there pumping out nice stuff consistently, but can't really pretend I know many of them.

Interestingly all 3 examples so far (Pixar, Laika, Ghibli) are animation.

Josquius

Good Omens was pretty good.
Shame there's no sequel.
██████
██████
██████

Oexmelin

Quote from: celedhring on July 09, 2019, 04:21:47 AM
They are one of the few studios (actually, maybe the only one*) that routinely come up with great original material though. Coco was great, and there are no sequels (yet) in their upcoming schedule. I see the sequels as sure-fire cash grabs to keep the Disney people happy.

I don't follow this too closely, but I am under the impression that strong personal choices / personality in studios is a thing of the past? I see small independent units that do a few things, and then executive-driven behemoths plus distributers.

I think A24 does good things. Not all great, of course.
Que le grand cric me croque !

mongers

Is 'What's Eating Gilbert Grape?' worth persevering with?

Because I'm 20 minutes last night and it was awfully slow going.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Eddie Teach

I saw the movie and don't remember anything about it.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

mongers

Quote from: Eddie Teach on July 09, 2019, 10:35:44 AM
I saw the movie and don't remember anything about it.

Thanks Eddy, I'll take that to mean definitely not worth watching.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

celedhring

Quote from: Oexmelin on July 09, 2019, 09:27:30 AM
Quote from: celedhring on July 09, 2019, 04:21:47 AM
They are one of the few studios (actually, maybe the only one*) that routinely come up with great original material though. Coco was great, and there are no sequels (yet) in their upcoming schedule. I see the sequels as sure-fire cash grabs to keep the Disney people happy.

I don't follow this too closely, but I am under the impression that strong personal choices / personality in studios is a thing of the past? I see small independent units that do a few things, and then executive-driven behemoths plus distributers.

I think A24 does good things. Not all great, of course.

A24 is mostly a distributor though, they buy films off festivals rather than participate in direct production (they do some of it, but they just can't afford to do much of that outside of some few projects). Their batting average isn't that great, but they do pick up some brilliant stuff from time to time.

And personalities still play a big part in modern Hollywood. Executives have personalities, you know  :P - I'm not being flip, Kevin Feige is essentially the guy driving the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Same with Lassetter at Pixar - one wonders what will happen now that he's been fired.
WB tried to do the same with Zach Snyder being the mastermind of their superhero films, but that turned out... not well.

Malthus

Quote from: Tyr on July 09, 2019, 08:13:23 AM
Shame there's no sequel.

I enjoyed it!

They even had a bit of a sequel hook - that [spoiler] next time the big battle will be heaven and hell together versus humanity and its supporters [/spoiler]

There will never be a sequel (at least not a proper one) because, sadly, Terry Pratchet is dead, and the original was a collaboration between him and Neil Gaiman.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Oexmelin

Quote from: celedhring on July 09, 2019, 12:41:26 PM
And personalities still play a big part in modern Hollywood. Executives have personalities, you know  :P - I'm not being flip, Kevin Feige is essentially the guy driving the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Same with Lassetter at Pixar - one wonders what will happen now that he's been fired.  WB tried to do the same with Zach Snyder being the mastermind of their superhero films, but that turned out... not well.

I should have said "interesting personalities"...  :P Lasseter is a good choice: he certainly wasn't Pixar's strongest director, but his input on the choice of projects was great.

While I recognize that the MCU certainly had commercial/serial vision (and can't even foresee the time when people will have enough of superhero movies), most of the movies seem, to me, to lack... personality? With the choice of projects being dictated by characters developed elsewhere.

Other studios? The other execs I know (granted, most of them at Disney) strike me more for their commercial ambition than the soundness and sensibility of their aesthetic judgment.

celedhring

Quote from: Oexmelin on July 09, 2019, 02:01:33 PM
Quote from: celedhring on July 09, 2019, 12:41:26 PM
And personalities still play a big part in modern Hollywood. Executives have personalities, you know  :P - I'm not being flip, Kevin Feige is essentially the guy driving the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Same with Lassetter at Pixar - one wonders what will happen now that he's been fired.  WB tried to do the same with Zach Snyder being the mastermind of their superhero films, but that turned out... not well.

I should have said "interesting personalities"...  :P Lasseter is a good choice: he certainly wasn't Pixar's strongest director, but his input on the choice of projects was great.

While I recognize that the MCU certainly had commercial/serial vision (and can't even foresee the time when people will have enough of superhero movies), most of the movies seem, to me, to lack... personality? With the choice of projects being dictated by characters developed elsewhere.

Other studios? The other execs I know (granted, most of them at Disney) strike me more for their commercial ambition than the soundness and sensibility of their aesthetic judgment.

That lack of strong producers and studio vision in places like Sony, Fox (not anymore!), Paramount, etc... makes it easier for interesting stuff to happen, though. Not by chance the - imho - best superhero movies of the current era were not made at Marvel. There you have a super-strong (and incredibly successful) vision coming from above that flatlines director and writer freedom. You associate Disney, Marvel, Warner, to a very distinct brand and style, which comes from above. You can't say the same for the other studios except some small units like, say, Blumhouse.

That's how it worked in Golden Age Hollywood though, all studios had strong producer-dictated visions.

HVC

Quote from: Malthus on July 09, 2019, 01:31:08 PM
Quote from: Tyr on July 09, 2019, 08:13:23 AM
Shame there's no sequel.

I enjoyed it!

I wanted to like it, I like both of the leads, but I just couldn't get into it
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: mongers on July 09, 2019, 10:47:07 AM
Thanks Eddy, I'll take that to mean definitely not worth watching.

Bad call.  Totally accurate depiction of very small town American life with some very strong performances and a sweet story line.

Eddie Teach

If it's an accurate depiction of small town life, I probably fell asleep.  :P
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Oexmelin on July 09, 2019, 02:01:33 PM

The budgets on these movies are high and ever increasing.  Not a lot a room for risk-taking.  The more the process can be commoditized and regularized, the better from the POV of the company.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Oexmelin

I know. Doesn't prevent me from lamenting the fact, though. We are kind of stuck between high-profile, high-budget teenage/YA fare, and great TV that is unfortunately weakened by serialization.