News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Iormlund

Quote from: Malthus on August 17, 2018, 10:20:49 AM
I know everyone has probably seen it already, but I somehow missed watching season 3 of The Expanse when it aired, and I'm watching it now.

It's awesome - one of the best science fiction series I've seen. Very suspenseful, it is interesting seeing how they keep raising the stakes (just when you think things can't get worse - they do).

It is hard to believe this was made by the ScyFy Channel, which I usually associate with dreck like "Sharknado".  :lol: I hear that Amazon has picked it up for season 4.

I takes forever for Netflix to air this in Spain. Bastards. :mad:

crazy canuck

I know everyone has probably seen it already, but I somehow missed watching season 3 of The Expanse when it aired, and I'm watching it now.

It's awesome - one of the best science fiction series I've seen. Very suspenseful, it is interesting seeing how they keep raising the stakes (just when you think things can't get worse - they do).

It is hard to believe this was made by the ScyFy Channel, which I usually associate with dreck like "Sharknado".  :lol: I hear that Amazon has picked it up for season 4.

Glad you are enjoying it.  I know Grumbler was still working his way through the season, so we have refrained from talking about it.

Other than to agree it is very good.

Syt

I have yet to watch season 2. Has anyone read the books it's based on?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

garbon

Quote from: Syt on August 17, 2018, 01:22:29 PM

I think I've read the first 4 or so books.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Savonarola

Beside Bowie: Being Mick Ronson (2017)

A documentary of The Spiders from Mars guitarist Mick Ronson, made shortly before David Bowie died.  There's a lot I didn't know; Mick had done production work for every Bowie album from the second "David Bowie" until "Pin-Ups;"  he had played guitar for Mott the Hoople, Ian Hunter's solo career and (:huh:) Bob Dylan; and that he had produced "Jack and Dianne" and some of Morrisey's solo work.

They had some archival footage of Ronson; that was really interesting in that he seems to eat, breathe and sleep music, but can explain it to a layman.  Most of the film is interviews with people who knew him, and woah (:o) Angela Bowie did not age well.  They also had Mike Garson on quite a bit; I don't think you could find a more stereotypical New York jazz pianist.  You know how in portraits of Neville Chamberlain, even if he isn't carrying an umbrella, you have a suspicion that there's an umbrella just out of frame?  Mike Garson is like that for pianos.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Habbaku

Glad you're enjoying it. The books are pretty good too! But I look forward to seeing what an Amazon budget might allow them to do. They're going to have to inch things up a bit to account for what's coming...
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Habbaku

Yes, I recently finished the last printed one (the 7th; 8th is due out this December). I would recommend all of them except the first.

They are good, but not great. The weakness is definitely the characters and especially the villains (who border on mustache-twirlers at times) while the strength is the overarching plot.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

grumbler

The books are great up until towards the end of book 5, when we start to see major uses of deus ex machina.  Too bad, too, as book 5 lets us really get too know the main characters.

Book 6 I could not finish.  Dumb story, and too many of the POV characters were outright despicable people.

The first 4 books are excellent.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

11B4V

A Perfect Day: B- kind of strange.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Razgovory

So the Venture Bros have been on since 2002 and the last episodes have wrapped up a lot of the plot threads, including ones that go back 15 years.  It's like... wow.  A throwaway Mcguffin from the 2nd episode of the show is brought back a decade and half later to solve one of the biggest mysteries of the program.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Barrister

Disenchanted on Netflix - anyone seen it yet?  I'm definitely going to watch (despite mixed reviews), but curious if it would be appropriate to watch with my kids of not - it's rated PG-14.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Tonitrus

From just halfway through the first episode, that PG-14 is very, very apropos...maybe a fair bit on the lenient side (or I am just an old fuddy-duddy).

I'd definitely preview it first.

Razgovory

The previews of that looked rather dull.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Tonitrus

In episode 2 now.  Yep, it's boring the heck out of me, and that is even with me slightly drunk.