And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FunkMonk

Quote from: Josephus on March 24, 2012, 09:56:36 PM
Didn't watch that Tree of Life thing.

I'll warn you, you'll only like it if you enjoy Terence Malick flicks. It's pretty much the ultimate Malick movie.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Sheilbh

Quote from: FunkMonk on March 24, 2012, 10:14:11 PM

I'll warn you, you'll only like it if you enjoy Terence Malick flicks. It's pretty much the ultimate Malick movie.
I love the Thin Red Line.  One of my favourite war films.
Let's bomb Russia!

FunkMonk

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 24, 2012, 10:42:25 PM

:wub:

Admiral Yi

Needed more puking and lip-quivering.

Ideologue

It's pretty good, I agree.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

CountDeMoney

It is a beautiful movie and one of my all-time faves as well.  The historitards despise it, though.  But they're the same idiots that think Apocalypse Now is about the Vietnam War, too.

FunkMonk

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 24, 2012, 11:07:43 PM
It is a beautiful movie and one of my all-time faves as well.  The historitards despise it, though.  But they're the same idiots that think Apocalypse Now is about the Vietnam War, too.

It came out right after Saving Private Ryan, so it was unfairly compared to that. SPR was a good movie in its own right, but it was nice having a movie like The Thin Red Line where its themes weren't spoon-fed to the audience.

WUT I HALF TO THINK AT THE MOVIES WTF IF THIS CRAP

CountDeMoney

Quote from: FunkMonk on March 24, 2012, 11:16:15 PM

It came out right after Saving Private Ryan, so it was unfairly compared to that. SPR was a good movie in its own right, but it was nice having a movie like The Thin Red Line where its themes weren't spoon-fed to the audience.

Yeah, my buddy in the Army is such a Historitard about the South Pacific, he tosses Thin Red Line in with fucking Windtalkers and Pearl Harbor.  Can't win that debate with him at all.

Viking

Apocalypse Now is an adaption of a book set in The Belgian Congo, but The Thin Red Line is actually based on a book set in Guadalcanal.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Ideologue

What is Apocalypse Now about?  I thought it was about how humans are fundamentally bad and only a thin veneer of civilization separates us from putting people's heads on sticks.  That's what I took away from Heart of Darkness, anyway; I've generally assumed Apocalypse Now was about the same thing, but never really examined it.

Now, Thin Red Line is about how you can photograph things that are pretty and have a guy whisper in a meaningful way about them, oh, and maybe how war fucks it all up, I dunno.

Here's a question: with all our advances in special and visual effects, why have they never made an awesome Dresden movie?
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

FunkMonk

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 24, 2012, 11:19:30 PM
Quote from: FunkMonk on March 24, 2012, 11:16:15 PM

he tosses Thin Red Line in with fucking Windtalkers and Pearl Harbor

:lol: Slap him for me please.  :lol:

As an aside, when I came back from my second Iraq tour I rewatched TRL and it gave me such a greater appreciation of that movie. It really hit home.

katmai

Thin Red Line is only loved by Homos (Ide, CdM) and Flipicans.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

FunkMonk

Quote from: Ideologue on March 24, 2012, 11:21:38 PM
Here's a question: with all our advances in special and visual effects, why have they never made an awesome Dresden movie?

Malick should make a Dresden movie. :w00t: :w00t:

FunkMonk

Quote from: katmai on March 24, 2012, 11:23:27 PM
Thin Red Line is only loved by Homos (Ide, CdM) and Flipicans.
Yes, but our opinions matter most.  :homestar:

Viking

Quote from: FunkMonk on March 24, 2012, 11:29:06 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on March 24, 2012, 11:21:38 PM

Malick should make a Dresden movie. :w00t: :w00t:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slaughterhouse-Five_%28film%29 ?
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.