TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Admiral Yi

Quote from: mongers on August 08, 2016, 08:12:11 PM
You might like the 1960s Julie Christie film better?  :bowler:

Is it still based on the same novel?  That's the part I found problematic.  Nothing wrong with the production.

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Liep

Quote from: katmai on August 08, 2016, 11:47:22 PM
Suicide Squad, oy vey :bleeding:

Hmm.. I had kind of looked forward to that film. Is it at least entertaining?
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Josephus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 08, 2016, 07:52:48 PM
Far From the Madding Crowd.  What a dreadful story.  Pretty young girl inherits a farm, is proposed to by a manly hired hand, then by the older rich land owner, then falls for the pretty boy cavalry sergeant.  I found the main character totally unappealing.

Am getting into The Night Of on HBO.  Anyone else watching this?

I have it taped but haven't seen any of it so far. Is it good?
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Savonarola

Hook, Line and Sinker (1930)

A Wheeler and Woolsey comedy, featuring Woolsey's usual love interest Dorothy Lee as a woman who has inherited a run down hotel.  Wheeler and Woolsey start a rumor that the hotel is the newest high society hangout and manage to attract mostly bootleggers and jewel thieves intent on robbing the wealthy.  Hilarity ensues, but all is put right thanks to violence and dangerous gun play.

Wheeler and Woolsey are largely forgotten today, but at the time they were a hit comedy team,  and this was one of RKO's biggest hits of the year (just behind "Amos and Andy: Check and Double Check").  They were so popular that they each had a solo movie; which turned out to be phenomenally bad idea.  Wheeler plays the dumb straight man/romantic lead; while Woolsey is the smooth talking idea man somewhere between WC Fields and Groucho Marx.  While the humor is dated; they are funny. 

Wikipedia says they were a big influence on Morecambe and Wise.  I'm not familiar with that team, could anyone describe their humor?

In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Josephus on August 09, 2016, 08:20:50 AM
I have it taped but haven't seen any of it so far. Is it good?

I'm enjoying it.  The pace is very leisurely.

katmai

Quote from: Liep on August 09, 2016, 06:29:13 AM
Quote from: katmai on August 08, 2016, 11:47:22 PM
Suicide Squad, oy vey :bleeding:

Hmm.. I had kind of looked forward to that film. Is it at least entertaining?
it was so badly edited and filled with characters that don't serve any purpose to progression of story.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Eddie Teach

Love is a Many-Splendored Thing. William Holden is married. Jennifer Jones is half Chinese :lol: they still managed to bore you with their love affair.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

:hmm:

http://deadline.com/2016/08/oceans-eight-rihanna-anne-hathaway-sandra-bullock-cate-blanchett-awkwafina-helena-bonham-carter-mindy-kaling-1201801342/

QuoteWarner Bros Firms 'Ocean's 8' Lineup: Anne Hathaway, Rihanna, Awkwafina, Helena Bonham Carter, Mindy Kaling Join Sandra Bullock & Cate Blanchett
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Huh. That is only seven.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on August 11, 2016, 07:01:39 AM
Huh. That is only seven.

Here you go person who can't read. :P

QuoteWarner Bros has firmed an October start date in New York for Ocean's Eight, the female-driven caper spinoff directed by Gary Ross, and the studio is closing with its principal cast. Aside from the previously identified Sandra Bullock and Cate Blanchett, deals are close with Anne Hathaway, Rihanna, Helena Bonham Carter, Mindy Kaling and Awkwafina. The latter is the hip-hop moniker of Asian-American rapper and actress Nora Lum, who most recently had a role in Neighbors 2.

The picture is still casting — the firmed roster so far falls one shy of the title — and there is every possibility for cameos from the stars of the original trilogy, which grossed a collective $1.12 billion worldwide.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Ah ok. Good luck to all you actresses out there auditioning.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Josquius

No Helen Mirrim? She's meant to be in everything.
██████
██████
██████

Tonitrus

Quote from: garbon on August 11, 2016, 07:09:06 AM
cameos from the stars of the original trilogy, which grossed a collective $1.12 billion worldwide.
[/quote]

Somehow I doubt they mean Frank Sinatra. :hmm: