News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

The trailer looked good enough, down to Forest Whitaker's crazy eye, but plenty of trailers for sucky movies looked good.

The interwebs are full of rumors about what's happening, but I wouldn't bother much about them. The 6 week reshoots seem confirmed, though, and that's a bonafide panic move. 6 weeks is *a lot*.

Liep

"following reports Disney execs are concerned Gareth Edwards's spin-off lacks the knockabout space fun of The Force Awakens." Did the Guardian confuse 'knockabout' with 'forced' here?
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

KRonn

Quote from: celedhring on June 02, 2016, 07:51:05 PM
Apparently they are going to reshoot 40% of Star Wars: Rogue One and have brought in Christopher McQuarrie (the last MI flick, The Usual Suspects, Edge of Tomorrow...) to rewrite the script. 6 months before release. So, I guess we can toss that one to the garbage bin. Pity.

I hope they get things right; I like how the studio is planning on continuing releases of Star Wars movies/sagas. I want it all to keep going.

viper37

Quote from: celedhring on June 03, 2016, 02:36:58 AM
The trailer looked good enough, down to Forest Whitaker's crazy eye, but plenty of trailers for sucky movies looked good.

The interwebs are full of rumors about what's happening, but I wouldn't bother much about them. The 6 week reshoots seem confirmed, though, and that's a bonafide panic move. 6 weeks is *a lot*.
How realistic is it that they can delay the shooting schedule by 6 weeks, redo the special effects and remake a final cut within the 6 months left for distribution?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

celedhring

Quote from: viper37 on June 03, 2016, 09:45:39 AM
Quote from: celedhring on June 03, 2016, 02:36:58 AM

How realistic is it that they can delay the shooting schedule by 6 weeks, redo the special effects and remake a final cut within the 6 months left for distribution?

They should be fine, assuming the reshoots start this June.

The Brain

Since it won't be edited as such it will likely have a rawness to it that will appeal to both old fans and new.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

celedhring

Started watching The Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt. Very charming.

MadImmortalMan

The new Top Gear has Joey from Friends?

:unsure:
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

mongers

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on June 03, 2016, 05:13:33 PM
The new Top Gear has Joey from Friends?

:unsure:

He's not to shabby in it.

Worth a viewing.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

viper37

Hyena Road

Canadian war movie. About Afghanistan.

It's not a bad movie, but it ain't good either.  It tries to achieve multiple things:
- portray the taleban fighters as humans while portraying the movement as evil
- convey the difficulties of our soldiers in such a mission, the strain on their personal lives
- show the conflicts between mission parameters, orders, the grand picture (what is god for the mission success) and what appears to be right
- show the futility of war, no matter what you do or try to do, things will endure as they always were
- show Canadian soldiers under battle conditions, what it is like really being shot at, fighting for you live. 
- show the difficulties of interacting with the locals who may be warlords playing all sides or simple villagers caught in between.

Lots of things to achieve for a single movie.  Unfortunately, it fails at almost everything because it never digs to deep.  Yeah, soldiers have girlfriends/boyfriends.  It's tough if they're back home, it's tough if they're on the base and you're not supposed to be dating one another.  Combat is bitchy.  Lots of desert, occasional mountain, deserted villages not desert, civilians who may be innocent bystanders or ennemies in waiting.  But it all goes so quick that you never really care about what is shown to you.  Black Hawk Down was about a single part of what it is to be a soldier operating in a peace mission and it did it very well.  This movies tries too many things, unfortunately.

It's not a bad movie, every Canadian should see it, especially those who are against the war, those who are in favour, and those who don't care ;)

The end sequence is pretty well done, emotioannly speaking, but the rest of the movie is murky, at best, uninteresting in large parts, at most.

On the plus side, there are real images of Canadian soldiers on duty in Afghanistan.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Liep

Special Correspondents: Gervais really should stick to series, this is another movie from him that just isn't very funny.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

celedhring

Couldn't get past the first episode of Sense8. Is there a rason to do so? I thought it was unbearable.

garbon

Quote from: celedhring on June 04, 2016, 03:19:44 PM
Couldn't get past the first episode of Sense8. Is there a rason to do so? I thought it was unbearable.

I don't know you'll like it then if you didn't like the first episode. Though I don't really recall it, I recall liking the first one.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

celedhring

I like weird sci-fi mindfucks, but I couldn't see the point in any of the parallel stories, I thought they were uninteresting. Couple that with the fact that the Wachowskis aren't the most subtle filmmakers out there...

Was just wondering if the unfolding mystery was worth sticking with the show.

garbon

Daddy (2015)

Appears to be just a standard gay older man, gay younger man flick but then shit goes dark. Really, I think they ultimately fail as the dark shit...well I don't think it is the sort of thing you really get over. Still remarkable for a non-popcorn gay flick to have a somewhat happy ending.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.