News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

It's one of those movies that had a big impact when it came out, but others that came later probably did what "Wild Bunch" did, better.

I think it's a decent watch though. The shootout at the end is still pretty great.

Valmy

Quote from: Tonitrus on February 04, 2016, 06:57:55 PM
My favorite geographic/seat faux pax is from the John Wayne flick "The Comencharos" (a film I like quite a bit, too)...where apparently, when going from Galveston, TX towards New Orleans, the terrain looks similar to Monument Valley.  :P

I got a kick out of Wayne's Alamo movie where the countryside around San Antonio has bizarrely become a desert.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Tonitrus

Quote from: celedhring on February 05, 2016, 09:43:38 AM
It's one of those movies that had a big impact when it came out, but others that came later probably did what "Wild Bunch" did, better.

I think it's a decent watch though. The shootout at the end is still pretty great.

Reading the wiki, there are comparisons to the style of Tarantino films...which is probably one reason I don't care for it.  That, and pretty much every character in the film, protagonist or antagonist, is loathsome and completely detestable.  Those aren't really my kinda films.   

The Brain

Quote from: Valmy on February 05, 2016, 09:47:11 AM
My favorite geographic/seat faux pax is from the John Wayne flick "The Comencharos" (a film I like quite a bit, too)...where apparently, when going from Galveston, TX towards New Orleans, the terrain looks similar to Monument Valley.  :P

I got a kick out of Wayne's Alamo movie where the countryside around San Antonio has bizarrely become a desert.

Nuke?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

celedhring

Quote from: Tonitrus on February 05, 2016, 09:48:43 AM

Reading the wiki, there are comparisons to the style of Tarantino films...which is probably one reason I don't care for it.  That, and pretty much every character in the film, protagonist or antagonist, is loathsome and completely detestable.  Those aren't really my kinda films.

Fair enough. That's kinda the point of the film though, it was the western that ended all old school westerns. Decadent, nihilistic, ugly yet oddly beautiful.

Tonitrus

Quote from: celedhring on February 05, 2016, 09:57:22 AM
Quote from: Tonitrus on February 05, 2016, 09:48:43 AM

Fair enough. That's kinda the point of the film though, it was the western that ended all old school westerns. Decadent, nihilistic, ugly yet oddly beautiful.

I saw the first three, none of the last.  :P

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Tonitrus on February 05, 2016, 08:09:30 AM
Watching "The Wild Bunch".

Probably one of the most overrated movies I've seen in a while.  It's pretty terrible.

Ide as movie critic: outgunned.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Valmy on February 05, 2016, 09:47:11 AM

I could not help but smile at the somewhat sympathetic portrait of the "villain" Santa Anna and all the pussyfooting with the slavery question.
Still much more watchable than Green Berets though.  :D

Tonitrus

I thought The Green Berets was ok, (as a pro-'Nam war flick goes)up through the firebase section...then went right over a cliff, so far that it shits the entire film beyond any hope...with the capture-the-general caper.

celedhring

Interesting, I wasn't aware Satan was into licensing deals  :hmm:

http://www.indiewire.com/article/beware-horror-fans-the-witch-has-just-been-named-an-official-satanic-experience-20160203

QuoteBeware, Horror Fans: 'The Witch' Has Just Been Named an Official 'Satanic Experience'

The Brain

She's into a lot of shit.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Ideologue

Quote from: celedhring on February 05, 2016, 11:25:34 AM
Interesting, I wasn't aware Satan was into licensing deals  :hmm:

http://www.indiewire.com/article/beware-horror-fans-the-witch-has-just-been-named-an-official-satanic-experience-20160203

QuoteBeware, Horror Fans: 'The Witch' Has Just Been Named an Official 'Satanic Experience'

I kind of wish people would stop overselling festival darling horror films.  They're never as good as the hype.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Tonitrus on February 05, 2016, 11:20:09 AM
I thought The Green Berets was ok, (as a pro-'Nam war flick goes)up through the firebase section...then went right over a cliff, so far that it shits the entire film beyond any hope...with the capture-the-general caper.

Eat shit and die, you Jane Fonda-fucking commie scum.  Not only was the 2nd half even more of a balls-out demonstration of the firepower of the fully armed and operational Special Forces, Lt. Colonel Donald Penobscot went out like a fucking boss*, as evidenced by the Duke smashing his M-16 against a tree and breaking it in half, which was failing common to that model.

*As opposed to Timothy Hutton's dad, who did not.

celedhring

I see they have added 47 Ronin to Spanish Netflix and I'm looking for dumb entertainment tonight. Is it that bad? Samurai battling ghosts should be nearly impossible to fuck up completely.

lustindarkness

Quote from: celedhring on February 05, 2016, 01:03:15 PM
I see they have added 47 Ronin to Spanish Netflix and I'm looking for dumb entertainment tonight. Is it that bad? Samurai battling ghosts should be nearly impossible to fuck up completely.

Visually pretty, it has nothing else that I can remember.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom