News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

She looked pretty good in Hannibal.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

celedhring

katmai

Quote from: Josephus on January 25, 2016, 09:17:04 AM
X-Files.

[spoiler]Meh...disappointed. Rehash of old stuff. Didn't Mulder already believe that the powers that be wanted him to believe in an alien conspiracy when there wasn't one?[/spoiler]

Reviews i've read say first episode was meh, but episodes 2 & 3 are much better (episode 2 airs here in US today)
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

viper37

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 25, 2016, 03:12:59 PM
Quote from: PDH on January 25, 2016, 02:00:12 PM
Of course the French were in the Rockies.  How do you think La Ramie got its name?  Also, why all the Poudre site names?  Also, we still eat french fries here.

The odd thing to me was not the existence of French, but the fact that they were trading muskets and ammunition for pelts, at a time when they lived in a British colony, and after Britain had signed a treaty with the US to no longer supply arms to Indians within US territory.
They weren't supplying arms.  Private citizens were trading weapons with indians for furs.  That happenned for a while after said treaty.  Besides, was North Dakota a US territory in 1823?  I don't think so.

If it's Montana, from Wikipedia:
QuoteThe land in Montana east of the continental divide was part of the Louisiana Purchase in 1803. Subsequent to and particularly in the decades following the Lewis and Clark Expedition, American, British and French traders operated a fur trade, typically working with indigenous peoples, in both eastern and western portions of what would become Montana. These dealings were not always peaceful, and though the fur trade brought some material gain for indigenous tribal groups it also brought exposure to European diseases and altered their economic and cultural traditions.[121] Until the Oregon Treaty (1846), land west of the continental divide was disputed between the British and U.S. and was known as the Oregon Country. The first permanent settlement by Euro-Americans in what today is Montana was St. Mary's (1841) near present-day Stevensville.[122] In 1847, Fort Benton was established as the uppermost fur-trading post on the Missouri River.[123] In the 1850s, settlers began moving into the Beaverhead and Big Hole valleys from the Oregon Trail and into the Clark's Fork valley.[124]

What we have is, a) disputed land and b) not officially US territory.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

MadImmortalMan

I've been to Ft. Benton. It was the "uppermost" fur-trading site because that's as far as the riverboats could get on the Missouri. Which seems like that should have made it fairly strategic at that time. The docking area is up against the cliffside though. With cliffs all around. You literally look down into the town from every side. Which sounds tactically bad.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Admiral Yi

More pros on Leo's Amazing Winter Adventure: camera work is virtuoso.  Same director as Birdman, right,  Irruti?  If you liked the long acrobatic no cut scenes in Birdman you'll like this.  Also all the raw meat Leo chows down looks very real.  Either the prop man did amazing things with tofu or Leo took several for the team.

MadImmortalMan

Leo said in an interview he really did it. Also, it was disgusting and he didn't want to do it again.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

viper37

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 25, 2016, 05:38:48 PM
This map says all of present day North Dakota got ceded to the US in 1818.
ok, but not really colonized/occuppied, and it's still private citizens making trade.  Supplying weapons would be more along the way of what British, French and Americans did in the past, giving weapons to indians and inciting them to raid the settlements of the other colonial powers.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: viper37 on January 25, 2016, 07:19:11 PM
ok, but not really colonized/occuppied, and it's still private citizens making trade.  Supplying weapons would be more along the way of what British, French and Americans did in the past, giving weapons to indians and inciting them to raid the settlements of the other colonial powers.

Absolutely, and that was one of the US beefs that led to the War of 1812, and one of the provisions of the peace treaty, unless I'm mistaken, was that Britain would no longer supply weapons to Indians in the US.

crazy canuck

X-Files.

[spoiler]Meh...disappointed. Rehash of old stuff. Didn't Mulder already believe that the powers that be wanted him to believe in an alien conspiracy when there wasn't one?[/spoiler]

I really enjoyed it.  I didnt watch X files after the first few seasons and so for me it was a nice introduction back to the series.

LaCroix

this doesn't help you, yi, but you might like this article from the state's finest newspaper: http://www.inforum.com/variety/3911878-have-you-seen-revenant-yet-heres-real-story-dakotas-mountain-man

Tonitrus

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 25, 2016, 09:43:44 PM
X-Files.

I really enjoyed it.  I didnt watch X files after the first few seasons and so for me it was a nice introduction back to the series.

Mulder seems to have great job perks...just come and go from FBI employment as you please.  :P

dps

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 25, 2016, 07:29:40 PM
Quote from: viper37 on January 25, 2016, 07:19:11 PM

Absolutely, and that was one of the US beefs that led to the War of 1812, and one of the provisions of the peace treaty, unless I'm mistaken, was that Britain would no longer supply weapons to Indians in the US.

I think you're missing his point.  This wasn't the British government supplying the Indians with weapons and encouraging them to attack American settlements;  this was private citizens trading guns with the Indians and not giving a shit what the Indians did with them as long as they got their pelts in return.