TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zanza

RIP. Liked his acting. Very versatile.

celedhring

And they are in! Oscar noms.

http://oscar.go.com/nominees/best-picture

Mad Max gets nominated for Best Picture, Best Director, and several technical awards.  :punk:

Martinus

My predictions (based entirely on past practice/"politics" and without having seen most of the nominated films):

Best Picture: The Big Short
Actor in a Leading Role: Eddie Redmayne, The Danish Girl
Actor in a Supporting Role: Christian Bale, The Big Short
Actress in a Leading Role: No clue
Actress in a Supporting Role: No clue
Animated Feature Film: Inside Out
Cinematography: Mad Max: Fury Road
Costume Design: Mad Max: Fury Road
Directing: The Big Short
Documentary Feature: No clue
Documentary Short: Claude Lanzmann: Spectress of the Shoah
Film Editing: Mad Max: Fury Road
Foreign Language Film: A War (or Theeb)
Makeup and Hairstyling: Mad Max: Fury Road
Music (Original Song): "Writing on the Wall" from Spectre
Music (Original Score): The Hateful Eight (Ennio Morricone)
Production Design: Mad Max: Fury Road
Short Film (Animated): Sanjay's Super Team
Short Film (Live Action) No clue
Sound Editing: Mad Max: Fury Road
Sound Mixing: Mad Max: Fury Road
Visual Effects: Mad Max: Fury Road
Writing (Adapted Screenplay): The Big Short
Writing (Original Screenplay): Straight Outta Compton

Martinus

Sorry didn't realise that "Carol" is about lesbians. This may get them few Oscars. :P

celedhring

Part of me believes they won't pass up the chance of giving it to a big Hollywood blockbuster, after so many years giving Best Picture to small films.

Zanza

I found MadMax was a fun movie, but is it really a work of art that warrants this level of recognition?

celedhring

Martinus

One revision - Revenant did well at Golden Globes, so perhaps it will do well here.

Josquius

With Mad Max.... I think it stands to profit from the earlier Max films, which have turned out to be hugely influential in popular culture despite being somewhat unheralded in their day.
Somewhat like LOTR having all the rewards fall on the final one.
██████
██████
██████

The Larch

So, will this finally be Leo's year? :P

celedhring

Quote from: Martinus on January 14, 2016, 11:39:18 AM
One revision - Revenant did well at Golden Globes, so perhaps it will do well here.

Doesn't necessarily mean anything; the voters of the Oscars and the Golden Globes overlap very little.

Martinus

Quote from: The Larch on January 14, 2016, 11:42:46 AM

Hard to tell. This being Bruce/Cathleen Jenner's year, I am predicting Eddie Redmayne's win (although that would be the second one in the row, so this somewhat increases diCaprio's chances).

The Larch

Quote from: Martinus on January 14, 2016, 11:44:56 AM
Quote from: The Larch on January 14, 2016, 11:42:46 AM

Hard to tell. This being Bruce/Cathleen Jenner's year, I am predicting Eddie Redmayne's win (although that would be the second one in the row, so this somewhat increases diCaprio's chances).

Doubt it, the role is too Oscar bait-ish, the movie hasn't been that well received and it'd be the 2nd in a row for Redmayne. And he's tainted for participating in Jupiter Ascending, for which he's nominated for the Razzie award this year as well.

I'd say that Fassbender has more options for Jobs than Redmayne for The Danish Girl.

The Larch

Funnily enough, of the 5 best actor nominees, 4 of the roles are real people (Bryan Cranston for playing Dalton Trumbo, Fassbender as Steve Jobs, DiCaprio for Hugh Glass and Redmayne for Lilli Elbe), while only one (Matt Damon in The Martian) is a wholly fictitious character.

It was the same last year, 4 real people (Redmayne as Hawking, Cumberbach as Turing, Bradley Cooper as Chris Kyle and Steve Carell as John Du Pont), 1 fictitious character (Michael Keaton in Birdman).

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son