News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

Did she swoon when you told her that you were going to law school so you could be like Hanks' character in the movie?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

viper37

Quote from: garbon on November 15, 2015, 05:11:20 PM
Tried watching John Carter. Got about 30 minutes in and it just feels like nonsense.
it's a very good sci-fi movie, but you have to put yourself in a 1910s sci-fi author mind.
Yes, it is nonsense, it is supposed to be, as was the original novel.  But it's a very good flick.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

LaCroix

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on November 16, 2015, 01:07:30 AM
Did she swoon when you told her that you were going to law school so you could be like Hanks' character in the movie?

i tell people that i'm in law school because i suck at math/science :(

jimmy olsen

Quote from: viper37 on November 16, 2015, 01:11:36 AM
Quote from: garbon on November 15, 2015, 05:11:20 PM
Tried watching John Carter. Got about 30 minutes in and it just feels like nonsense.
it's a very good sci-fi movie, but you have to put yourself in a 1910s sci-fi author mind.
Yes, it is nonsense, it is supposed to be, as was the original novel.  But it's a very good flick.

Agreed
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Savonarola

The Yankee Clipper  (1927)

The British are in control of the worldwide tea trade, and even Queen Victoria herself demands that they do not lose it to the Yankees.  The Yankees, though, have a new clipper and a courageous captain (played by none other than the future Hopalong Cassidy, William Boyd.)  They arrive in China at the same time as Britain's new clipper; and the master of the Chinese tea sellers agrees to sell tea to the first ship to reach Boston, and the race is on.  Oh, and the British captain has a nubile daughter, but she's engaged to a cad and I'm sure you can see where this is going.

This film comes from a different time.  There's a young boy who stows away on the American ship.  He becomes the ship mascot; the sailors offer him plug tobacco which he chaws away at.  (This turns out to be an important plot point.)  In another scene the nubile daughter gives a Chinese beggar a coin, and she is subsequently mobbed by Chinamen.  The American captain sees her and soon the entire US Merchant Marines are beating the crap out of the filthy Chinese wharf rats.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

viper37

Quote from: Savonarola on November 18, 2015, 11:31:11 AM
The Yankee Clipper  (1927)

The British are in control of the worldwide tea trade, and even Queen Victoria herself demands that they do not lose it to the Yankees.  The Yankees, though, have a new clipper and a courageous captain (played by none other than the future Hopalong Cassidy, William Boyd.)  They arrive in China at the same time as Britain's new clipper; and the master of the Chinese tea sellers agrees to sell tea to the first ship to reach Boston, and the race is on. 
if they travel by sail boat, how will the Chinese merchant know which ship arrives first in Boston in order to sell them his tea?  That will require another boat to leave from Boston with a letter telling him who the victor is, but since the British clipper is faster than the mail ship, all the captain has to do is fake departing for England, than turn slightly south to navigate toward China and claim victory.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Tonitrus

Hadn't gotten around to watching "Man in the High Castle" yet, but heard an NPR review on the way home that pushed it as being pretty damned good...so I tuned in the two available episodes...

My expectations were honestly pretty low, but the production quality is really quite good.  They take, what I think, has always been a kinda hokey, overstretched alt-history-Axis-wins-WW2 plot and plays it really very well.  Looking forward to the full season that is to be released soon.

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Admiral Yi

Watched "Salvation."  Kind of a High Plains Drifter knockoff starring Mads Mickelson.  Pointless.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

katmai

Tim's Vermeer.
Cool doc about inventor who trying out theories on how Vermeer created such photo realistic paintings.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

celedhring

Quote from: Syt on November 19, 2015, 03:53:02 AM
Yo, how about a new Star Wars teaser?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9-aHfKcelI

[spoiler]I hope to see a cortosis-related explanation for that Stormtrooper going mano a mano against a lightsaber.[/spoiler]

celedhring

After watching that Star Wars spot, youtube autoplayed a trailer for the Huntsman sequel, which pretty much looks like Frozen updated for the Twilight crowd.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwtklzynPKA