News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

Philip Saville's production of No Exit/In Camera/Huis Clos.  Three crybabies are trapped in the Phantom Zone until Superboy develops a cure for their lead poisoning, and needle each other until they're very sad, in part because they each seem to desire to have sex with the one that doesn't want them.  So they bitch and moan and look at events transpiring on Earth, like they matter, and it never once occurs to them to do the reasonable thing, which is to agree upon a sexual compromise where Garcin, the straight guy, agrees to fuck the slutty straight girl, Estelle, if she agrees to fuck the lesbian, Inez, if she in turn agrees to suck Garcin off.

I guess I'm just smarter than Jean-Paul Sartre.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 24, 2011, 06:21:41 PM
How do you Pomegranates feel about Thatcher being played by a Yank?
There's been no worries about Streep playing Maggie and she's getting praised for it.  But the 'Hollywoodisation' of Maggie is starting to get attacked.  Lots of people who knew her have attacked it for showing her as weaker than she was and focussing on her relationship with Dennis. 

There's also quite a lot of unease about the scenes at the start of the film (which I've not seen so I can't judge) showing her struggling with dementia after Dennis's death.  She's apparently still pretty sharp and it's not in great taste.
Let's bomb Russia!

The Brain

Glengarry Glen Ross. Again. Alec Baldwin is so dreamy. :wub:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Capetan Mihali

"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Zoupa

Josquius

First episode of the new Sherlock series- I just didn't like it. Long and draggy and lost my interest too many times.
██████
██████
██████

Malthus

My kid has been watching a show called Horrible Histories on BBC Kids. It's a sort of monty pythonesque take on bits of actual history 'with the gory bits left in', for kids.

I gotta admit - I like it too.  :blush:

My favorite is when they do music videos which are pastiches of various video styles, with semi-historical content - low budget as all hell, but I find them funny.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Sheilbh

I loved the Horrible Histories books as a kid. Haven't seen the show, though I've read it's got a cult adult following.
Let's bomb Russia!

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Malthus

My favorite is the William Wallace song, done as a heavy metal version:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3g61xASD-24
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

Malthus

Heh, I'm glad I'm not the only one.  :D

I know there are some Lady Gaga fans around here - they might find this Cleopatra video amusing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWWmOQ0NaaU&feature=related

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Octavian

Lol those videos are hilarious
If you let someone handcuff you, and put a rope around your neck, don't act all surprised if they hang you!

- Eyal Yanilov.

Forget about winning and losing; forget about pride and pain. Let your opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh; let him smash into your flesh and you fracture his bones; let him fracture your bones and you take his life. Do not be concerned with escaping safely - lay your life before him.

- Bruce Lee