News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: celedhring on September 14, 2015, 03:22:56 PM
The prison genre is pretty old actually, and always played out around the themes of enduring personal ordeal and destruction of the individual, like Cool Hand Luke. Hollywood actually played a big part in first ending chain gangs in the 1950s, there were lots of oldish films denouncing them that had quite an impact. Films like "I Am a Fugitive from a Chain Gang" are particularly striking for the era (1930s).

I like Cool Hand Luke a lot though.

But how many of them had a scary guy in sunglasses? :contract:

11B4V

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 14, 2015, 03:40:35 PM
Quote from: celedhring on September 14, 2015, 03:22:56 PM
The prison genre is pretty old actually, and always played out around the themes of enduring personal ordeal and destruction of the individual, like Cool Hand Luke. Hollywood actually played a big part in first ending chain gangs in the 1950s, there were lots of oldish films denouncing them that had quite an impact. Films like "I Am a Fugitive from a Chain Gang" are particularly striking for the era (1930s).

I like Cool Hand Luke a lot though.

But how many of them had a scary guy in sunglasses? :contract:
:yes:
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Josephus

Maps to the Stars. One of the better Cronenberg films in a couple decades.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Ideologue

Quote from: Savonarola on September 14, 2015, 02:55:14 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 14, 2015, 02:30:48 PM
Quote from: Savonarola on September 14, 2015, 01:05:07 PM
I had written the last lines in jest, but on my last trip to Detroit I found that midtown was now filled with the worst excesses of bourgeoisie America; all yoga parlors, sustainable development complexes and Whole Foods.  Downtown was almost entirely empty five years ago; today it's over spilling with chain restaurants.  My first thought was "My God, we need to bring back Kwame."

You can't go back home.   :(

;)

How long before the community activist types start bitching about gentrification?  :P

Already well under way:

Detroit Doesn't Need Hipsters To Survive, It Needs Black People

Hipsters don't like chain restaurants.  Hipsters like bullshit cash-only locally-owned pizza joints that are, at least, cheating on their taxes and are, at worst, fronts for the mob.  Welcome to Pittsburgh!  There's not a Taco Bell for three miles and that's a real pain in the ass to drive here!
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

garbon

Quote from: Ideologue on September 15, 2015, 01:09:37 AM
Quote from: Savonarola on September 14, 2015, 02:55:14 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 14, 2015, 02:30:48 PM
Quote from: Savonarola on September 14, 2015, 01:05:07 PM
I had written the last lines in jest, but on my last trip to Detroit I found that midtown was now filled with the worst excesses of bourgeoisie America; all yoga parlors, sustainable development complexes and Whole Foods.  Downtown was almost entirely empty five years ago; today it's over spilling with chain restaurants.  My first thought was "My God, we need to bring back Kwame."

You can't go back home.   :(

;)

How long before the community activist types start bitching about gentrification?  :P

Already well under way:

Detroit Doesn't Need Hipsters To Survive, It Needs Black People

Hipsters don't like chain restaurants.  Hipsters like bullshit cash-only locally-owned pizza joints that are, at least, cheating on their taxes and are, at worst, fronts for the mob.  Welcome to Pittsburgh!  There's not a Taco Bell for three miles and that's a real pain in the ass to drive here!

Shoreditch in London is hipsterville and full of chains. Just not your low market, low end ones.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: 11B4V on September 15, 2015, 01:11:24 AM
Taco Bell..... :yuk:

QuoteNo Taco Cabana found in Pittsburgh. Please browse other locations

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Kleves

Quote from: Ideologue on September 13, 2015, 07:53:35 AM
Anyway, I thought they were bringing more Toho monsters back.  That's what I (and, I expect, everybody else) really want to see.
:yes: Bring on the Godzilla Cinematic Universe. Also, as Spellus said, Godzilla in the latest film is like 6x the size of King Kong.
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

crazy canuck

Quote from: mongers on September 11, 2015, 09:53:08 PM
A documentary about Kate Bush ( :wub: )- 'The Kate Bush Story: Running up That Hill' worth a viewing.

Kate Bush  :wub: :wub:

Gups

Quote from: garbon on September 15, 2015, 01:17:45 AM

Shoreditch in London is hipsterville and full of chains. Just not your low market, low end ones.

They're mainly mini chains pretending to be independents (i.e. indies that got a good reputation and the private equity investment). So you get your Dishooms and Breakfast Clubs but not Cafes Rouge or Pizza Express. 

Admiral Yi

Darth Wagtaros

PDH!

11B4V

Liep

Метро (2013)

Between fooling around and hilariously overdoing the action scenes it told some pretty compelling stories. 6½/10.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk