News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lustindarkness

It was no less silly than any other Hollywood movie. Which isn't saying much. Hollywood itself sucks.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Valmy

Quote from: lustindarkness on July 10, 2015, 11:21:16 AM
It was no less silly than any other Hollywood movie. Which isn't saying much. Hollywood itself sucks.

Well I disagree. Hollywood has been on a good run these days, lots of great films being made. I was around during the 90s when almost everything was shit I should know.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

lustindarkness

Quote from: Valmy on July 10, 2015, 11:35:12 AM

Well I disagree. Hollywood has been on a good run these days, lots of great films being made. I was around during the 90s when almost everything was shit I should know.

I agree, but could not help myself to respond in that manner. There has been some good movies, but there has been a lot of crap too. And not much original material.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

celedhring

Quote from: lustindarkness on July 10, 2015, 11:43:23 AM
Quote from: Valmy on July 10, 2015, 11:35:12 AM

I agree, but could not help myself to respond in that manner. There has been some good movies, but there has been a lot of crap too. And not much original material.

Yeah, my main issue with Hollywood nowadays is that everything's recycled. It's something that's always been there, but now it's becoming ludicrous. I don't think Star Wars could happen nowadays for example, Lucas would have been asked to do an American Graffiti sequel instead.

Grey Fox

Disney does do new things from time to time tho.

John Carter.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Ideologue

Quote from: celedhring on July 10, 2015, 11:08:50 AM
It was no less silly than any other Zack Snyder movie. Which isn't saying much. The director itself sucks.

Reminds me, I need to see Guardians of the Owl Place [sp].
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Savonarola

Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 09, 2015, 05:11:17 PM
Quote from: Savonarola on July 09, 2015, 04:49:19 PM
The Lost Boys of Sudan (2003)
.All the Sudanese seemed to develop a prejudice against African-Americans immediately; yet complained about experiencing racism. 
In what way?

They assumed all African Americans were criminals.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Savonarola

The Wizard of Oz (1939)

It's been a long time since I've seen this; I didn't realize Glinda the Good Witch of the North was Billy Burke (character actress in the 1930s and Florenz Ziegfeld's wife.)  I've seen a lot of films now with Margaret Hamilton; she always played a crotchety woman like Mrs. Gulch.  As the witch, though, she can give it her all; and I think she's one of the greatest villains in cinema.

What I noticed this time through was how high the production values were.  It's simply amazing how lavish the sets are.  Sometimes it's obvious they're on a stage in front of a painting; but it's still gorgeous. 

I kept imagining Judy Garland thinking, when she was surrounded by munchkins, "This is just like working with Mickey Rooney."
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Grey Fox

Quote from: Valmy on July 10, 2015, 01:11:17 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on July 10, 2015, 01:09:08 PM
John Carter.

That went well.

It did not & then we complain they always do the same things.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

celedhring

Quote from: Grey Fox on July 10, 2015, 01:09:08 PM
Disney does do new things from time to time tho.

John Carter.

Book adaptation.

Valmy

The slate for the last Oscars seemed to be new-ish movies.

Iormlund

Quote from: celedhring on July 10, 2015, 11:57:11 AM
Yeah, my main issue with Hollywood nowadays is that everything's recycled. It's something that's always been there, but now it's becoming ludicrous. I don't think Star Wars could happen nowadays for example, Lucas would have been asked to do an American Graffiti sequel instead.

Same thing that happens with AAA gaming.

celedhring

Quote from: Valmy on July 10, 2015, 02:09:16 PM
The slate for the last Oscars seemed to be new-ish movies.

All of them with very low budgets. You can get away with being original if you are cheap. Ultimately, it's all a matter of Hollywood being so incredibly risk-adverse.

Valmy

Big money does not like risks. That is not unique to Hollywood.