And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on November 26, 2014, 03:34:22 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on November 26, 2014, 03:08:09 PM
What did you do to piss your UPS guy off, Ide???????

Some of them are just jerks. On two different occasions I saw the UPS driver going up my street with the door tags already made out and stuck across the dashboard. She was just running to the doors and sticking them on without even knocking or pulling packages out of the truck.

That hasn't happened in a while though. I think it's a different driver now. The last time I got a package it was a dude.

Women are lazy. Duh.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Tonitrus

Quote from: lustindarkness on November 26, 2014, 02:52:31 PM
https://tv.yahoo.com/news/walking-deads-daryl-prepare-yourself-171100392.html

:hmm: I wonder who they will kill off.  :(

Doesn't sound good for Beth or Carol.  Or both.

Also, it's always funny to hear Norman Reedus's normal voice.  He'd do himself a big favor to just adopt Daryls'.  :D

mongers

Started watching an old bbc adaptation of 'Day Of The Triffids', dates from the early 1980s but not a bad series, keeps the suspense going rather well.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Ideologue

Due to my parents being overprotective, and then later failing to find the time, I never actually saw Poltergeist, Steven Spielberg and Tobe Hooper's adaptation of the JonBenet Ramsey case.

Truly, it was my loss: it's really great.  Occasionally it's even genuinely scary (especially early on before it kind of loses momentum, everything gets overexplained, and it becomes very apparent it's just going to be "things happen until the house implodes, awesomely").  Perhaps best of all, it has production values rarely seen before and, indeed, rarely seen since, not in a film of this breed.  (Admittedly, the use and overuse of contemporary effects also means that its most obvious comparator is Ghostbusters, which is not--necessarily--something to which you want your genuine horror movie to be readily compared.)

Still, it's really great: I give it an A+, despite its flaws.  These flaws include: the fact that no one ever files a police report; a few tremendously abrupt scene transitions; and the weirdly disinterested idiocy of one of the paranormal investigators, who'd rather listen to music on his headphones than explore the first demonstrable haunting he's ever seen.  Oh, and also no points taken off for the title being, by the film's own defined terms, inaccurate and a lie. :lol:
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

CountDeMoney

I haven't seen any of the new Hobbit movies, and granted I am old and decrepit and haven't read the book since junior high so my memory may not be what it used to be, but when I see these commercials--how many movies is it now? Three? Five?--I simply don't recall Legolas atop a battle moose. I mean, I think I would've remembered that.

Razgovory

Three movies, all way to long.  I remember when the studios would get into big fights with the directors and try to cut thing out.  I guess now days they don't give a shit.  I guess Jackson's vision was one 12 hour movie and they talked him down to making three four hour ones.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Sheilbh

I've only watched the first. I loved it. Dame Edna as the Goblin King was a particular highlight.
Let's bomb Russia!

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Tonitrus

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 27, 2014, 09:54:57 PM
I haven't seen any of the new Hobbit movies, and granted I am old and decrepit and haven't read the book since junior high so my memory may not be what it used to be, but when I see these commercials--how many movies is it now? Three? Five?--I simply don't recall Legolas atop a battle moose. I mean, I think I would've remembered that.

Legolas wasn't even in the Hobbit.  That is one of the changes they made just to bring Orlando Bloom back and tie it in/exploit from the FotR films.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Tonitrus on November 28, 2014, 02:34:50 AM

Legolas wasn't even in the Hobbit.

:mellow:  I know.

crazy canuck

I fell asleep watching both of the first two.

The Brain

Quote from: Tonitrus on November 28, 2014, 02:34:50 AM

Legolas wasn't even in the Hobbit. 

He was now!
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

lustindarkness

He was in which hobbit? And was it consensual?
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Martinus

Quote from: lustindarkness on November 28, 2014, 02:16:11 PM

Most of them, if fan fiction is to be believed.

Malthus

Quote from: Martinus on November 28, 2014, 02:26:05 PM
Quote from: lustindarkness on November 28, 2014, 02:16:11 PM

Most of them, if fan fiction is to be believed.

Consent level - sadly, varies.  :(
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius