News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

People watch Homeland over here? Is the 4th season any good? Think the series jumped the shark after the first season but I still enjoyed all the CIA counter-terrorism spy plots.

lustindarkness

TWD, [spoiler]who bites it next? Father Gabriel? And why do our survivors still trust others?[/spoiler]
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Viking

Attack on Titan = Excellent
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

11B4V

Quote from: Ed Anger on November 24, 2014, 09:22:56 AM
Quote from: Berkut on November 24, 2014, 02:02:57 AM
Saw three movies in the last 24 hours:

Interstellar - solid A, misses A+ because it plays too fast and loose with hard science. But a very, very good film. Kind of nice to watch a movie that doesn't assume you are a moron.

Mockingjay, Part 1. My kids orthodontist every year takes all his patients and their families out to the movies. It's worked out that the last few years have all been the Hunger Games movies, so that is what we saw along with 40 other families with kids with hopefully straighter teeth. My daughter was very impressed that he would take us to a movie for "free". I told her that I paid him $10,000 for a free movie every year, and he throws in orthodontia for my two kids for free.

Anyway, solid flick. Not great or anything, but pretty much what you expect. B- or so. Didn't regret the time.

American Hustle. Finally picked this up to watch. Uggh. Very disappointing. Just did not care about these characters at all, and in a movie driven by dialogue, not caring kind of doesn't work. I was expecting a very good movie, got something that was ok - hard to believe it won a bunch of awards. Very pedestrian.

The Orthodontist bit:  :lol:

Good to hear about Interstellar. Cool story with the Dentist.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Ideologue

$10k a year? Are you a narwhal?
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Josquius

Quote from: Syt on November 23, 2014, 02:02:34 AM
One of the first Christmas gifts I remember was a wooden Wild West fort with walls, towers and a few buildings. I must have been 4 at the time. Again, my parents were poor, and that was a cheap gift, with some plastic Cowboys and Indians.

15 years later I saw a comparable wooden fort, and the price was ridonculous, because suddenly wood = quality = triple the price of what plastic costs.
Heh, yeah, I had such a thing too.
I think my dad may have made it.

I recall the cowboys and soldiers were the goodies and the indians were the baddies.
██████
██████
██████

celedhring

Oh well, I went through a few episodes of Homeland and it looks like *again* it's about Carrie losing her shit. I'll pass.

viper37

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Josephus

Quote from: celedhring on November 24, 2014, 02:53:19 PM
Oh well, I went through a few episodes of Homeland and it looks like *again* it's about Carrie losing her shit. I'll pass.

The last episode was the best one yet (last week's not yesterdays) but by and large, yeah, it's jumped the shark.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: Ideologue on November 24, 2014, 01:12:16 PM

"$10,000 for a free movie every year", not "$10,000 a year for a free movie".

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: Viking on November 24, 2014, 12:52:33 PM

Surprisingly, yes.  I didn't think I was going to like it.

I can't watch it without thinking about the solution to their problem being a hot drop with an Atlas lance, though. :P

Berkut

Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on November 24, 2014, 04:20:24 PM

Two kids, basically $5k per kid.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

celedhring

Quote from: Josephus on November 24, 2014, 03:57:54 PM
Quote from: celedhring on November 24, 2014, 02:53:19 PM

The last episode was the best one yet (last week's not yesterdays) but by and large, yeah, it's jumped the shark.

One of my personal pleasures in Homeland was watching Mandy Patikin owning it as a wily CIA chief. [spoiler]Now he's not CIA anymore and just got kidnapped like an amateur, meh.[/spoiler]

Ideologue

Quote from: Berkut on November 24, 2014, 04:45:07 PM
Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on November 24, 2014, 04:20:24 PM

Two kids, basically $5k per kid.

Ohh, ok. :D
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Josquius

Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on November 24, 2014, 04:22:12 PM
Quote from: Viking on November 24, 2014, 12:52:33 PM

Surprisingly, yes.  I didn't think I was going to like it.

I can't watch it without thinking about the solution to their problem being a hot drop with an Atlas lance, though. :P

I came in expecting a science fiction piece set on Titan.
But I enjoyed it.
They missed a trick with not killing off the cliched main character a few episodes in though.
██████
██████
██████