News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scipio

Quote from: celedhring on October 26, 2014, 12:10:02 PM
Solomon Kane. An unremarkable dark fantasy film starring James Purefoy; I hoped he would make it at least vaguely entertaining, but that's not the case.

I quite liked it. Unrepentant Robert E. Howard fan here, though.

The best modern horror films are probably the Korean films and the films of Guillermo Del Toro (The Orphanage, The Devil's Backbone). Good stuff.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

celedhring

Quote from: Scipio on October 26, 2014, 05:09:14 PM
Quote from: celedhring on October 26, 2014, 12:10:02 PM
Solomon Kane. An unremarkable dark fantasy film starring James Purefoy; I hoped he would make it at least vaguely entertaining, but that's not the case.

I quite liked it. Unrepentant Robert E. Howard fan here, though.

The best modern horror films are probably the Korean films and the films of Guillermo Del Toro (The Orphanage, The Devil's Backbone). Good stuff.

He didn't do The Orphanage though, that one's by Juan Antonio Bayona. That said, I would like Del Toro to do proper horror again too, we'll see how Crimson Peak turns out.

CountDeMoney

:lol:  The Atlantic

QuoteJohn Wick: An Idiot Killed His Puppy and Now Everyone Must Die
This infinitely stylish, brilliantly stupid movie might be Keanu Reeves's renaissance.

http://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2014/10/john-wick-an-idiot-killed-his-puppy-and-now-everyone-must-die/381921/

Josquius

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 26, 2014, 05:41:59 PM

This infinitely stylish, brilliantly stupid movie might be Keanu Reeves's renaissance.

http://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2014/10/john-wick-an-idiot-killed-his-puppy-and-now-everyone-must-die/381921/
Hey, it has me routing for him. Kill girlfriends and families all you like. I've seen it a million times in a  million films. But do not bring innocent little doggies into it.
I guess its so much worse because you will see the actress who plays the girlfriend alive and well at the premiere, in other roles, etc...
But with a dog.....how do you know it wasn't for real! :o
██████
██████
██████

CountDeMoney

I just love the headline.  :lol:

And while Ide may consider it a rope-a-dope trope too simplistic and insulting going for audience sympathies, it simply works better than a cat.

"Now, a cat..well, I mean...why not shoot a cat."

CountDeMoney

LOL, TWD:

[spoiler]Looks like the hipsters won't be making it to the Dave Matthews concert and outdoor BBQ this season.[/spoiler]

lustindarkness

Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Josephus

To think...[spoiler]they were cannibals before it was cool to be cannibals.[/spoiler]
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Sophie Scholl

So.  I have some people I want to have watch the awesome movies Nosferatu and Shadow of the Vampire as a combo.  My question is:  Which should I show people first?  I was thinking go with Shadow of the Vampire first to ease them into the silent film aspect as well as making Nosferatu into a kind of "surviving film of the incident".  Now I'm not so sure.  Any opinions or suggestions are welcomed!
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Eddie Teach

Start with the one that it's more important to you that they see.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Neil

Quote from: Josephus on October 26, 2014, 09:25:44 PM
To think...[spoiler]they were cannibals before it was cool to be cannibals.[/spoiler]
Fine Young Cannibals would like a word...
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Neil

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 26, 2014, 05:41:59 PM

Hey, it was the best movie I've seen since Guardians of the Galaxy.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Admiral Yi

Damn, didn't realize Keanu is 50. 

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Neil on October 26, 2014, 11:06:07 PM

How many movies have you seen since Guardians of the Galaxy?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Neil

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 26, 2014, 11:35:42 PM
Quote from: Neil on October 26, 2014, 11:06:07 PM

How many movies have you seen since Guardians of the Galaxy?
Not a lot.  I saw the most recent Universal Soldier last week.