News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: celedhring on October 25, 2014, 04:03:56 PM
They probably could have developed his relationship with Blunt's character a little bit more, but they have some good moments.

One tweak I would have made is [spoiler]to set up the farm scene by showing a couple more scenes of Cruise responding to Blunt dying.  IIRC they only did that once, in the 1st or 2nd groundhog day.[/spoiler]

celedhring

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 25, 2014, 04:09:07 PM
Quote from: celedhring on October 25, 2014, 04:03:56 PM
They probably could have developed his relationship with Blunt's character a little bit more, but they have some good moments.

One tweak I would have made is [spoiler]to set up the farm scene by showing a couple more scenes of Cruise responding to Blunt dying.  IIRC they only did that once, in the 1st or 2nd groundhog day.[/spoiler]

Actually, I like how they did that.[spoiler] The way he gets so worked up by trying to avoid her death makes you suddenly realize he's fallen in love with her.[/spoiler] I just think their arc wasn't fully brought to a closure.

One thing I didn't fully understand though...[spoiler] is that in the following resurrection he tries to do it all on his own, without risking Blunt. But won't she die at the beach then?[/spoiler]

11B4V

Quote from: The Brain on October 25, 2014, 04:07:09 PM
Explain to me, as you would to an idiot, what was so great about EoT.

:hmm:
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Razgovory

"Look you idiot, its great because they said so.  They're smarter then you so take their word for it".
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

Quote from: celedhring on October 25, 2014, 04:12:22 PM
Actually, I like how they did that.[spoiler] The way he gets so worked up by trying to avoid her death makes you suddenly realize he's fallen in love with her.[/spoiler] I just think their arc wasn't fully brought to a closure.

[spoiler]I thought their falling in love was foreordained.  My point is they tried to set up Cruise's reincarnation as a great sacrifice.  Why?  If you knew you were going to come back to life automatically would you give a shit?  Rather the sacrifice should have been watching the death of someone you care about over and over.[/spoiler]

On a different note, they totally botched the Brendon Gleeson scenes.  The commander in chief of the allied invasion would not be a homeless man sitting in a lawyer's office.

The Brain

Quote from: Razgovory on October 25, 2014, 04:17:07 PM

"Look you idiot, its great because they said so.  They're smarter then you so take their word for it".

Gotcha. :)
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

celedhring

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 25, 2014, 04:17:24 PM
Quote from: celedhring on October 25, 2014, 04:12:22 PM

[spoiler]I thought their falling in love was foreordained.  My point is they tried to set up Cruise's reincarnation as a great sacrifice.  Why?  If you knew you were going to come back to life automatically would you give a shit?  Rather the sacrifice should have been watching the death of someone you care about over and over.[/spoiler]

On a different note, they totally botched the Brendon Gleeson scenes.  The commander in chief of the allied invasion would not be a homeless man sitting in a lawyer's office.

I get what you mean, what I think is that they managed to convey that without actually showing it. I was watching the scene and as it progressed it dawned on me [spoiler]that he'd seen her die many times on that farm, and that he can't cope with it because he loves her.[/spoiler]

Admiral Yi

Yeah, I just think it came a little out of the blue.

celedhring

Oh, and I agree about Gleeson looking like a bum. Personally I also thought [spoiler]the whole "I'm going to take this high ranked official that's also a pretty public face, summarily strip him of his rank and send him to the front because he annoyed me, and nobody will really find out" at the beginning was a bit forced and implausible, but I rolled with it. They could just have made him regular joe that's drafted into the army right before the attack on France.[/spoiler]

Admiral Yi

Quote from: celedhring on October 25, 2014, 04:30:04 PM
Oh, and I agree about Gleeson looking like a bum. Personally I also thought [spoiler]the whole "I'm going to take this high ranked official that's also a pretty public face, summarily strip him of his rank and send him to the front because he annoyed me, and nobody will really find out" at the beginning was a bit forced and implausible, but I rolled with it. They could just have made him regular joe that's drafted into the army right before the attack on France.[/spoiler]

Basically agree, but I think it helped more than hurt that [spoiler]Cruise starts out as an unsympathetic character getting his just desserts, and a coward to boot.  Not sure I can think of a more logically consistent plot mechanism for achieving those.[/spoiler]

celedhring

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 25, 2014, 04:36:58 PM
Quote from: celedhring on October 25, 2014, 04:30:04 PM

Basically agree, but I think it helped more than hurt that [spoiler]Cruise starts out as an unsympathetic character getting his just desserts, and a coward to boot.  Not sure I can think of a more logically consistent plot mechanism for achieving those.[/spoiler]

Yeah, I like that too, it's a bit like Groundhog Day in that regard. But the plot device was pretty jarring. Anyway, it's just the beginning and once that's out of the way it isn't a big deal.

Any theories for the ending, by the way?

Admiral Yi

celedhring

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 25, 2014, 04:40:58 PM
Not sure what you mean.

[spoiler]Does the big alien brain jump back in time as it dies, and thus resets everything (to the point before Cruise's character gets arrested), but Cruise keeps his memories because he absorbs the Alpha's blood at the same time?[/spoiler]

Admiral Yi

:lol: No idea.  That part made ninguna sense to me.

Josephus

Quote from: mongers on October 25, 2014, 02:19:29 PM
'Captain Philips' with Tom Hanks, worth bothering to watch ?

Yeah. It's alright.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011