TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Larch

Quote from: Malthus on October 16, 2014, 01:23:29 PM
Quote from: celedhring on October 16, 2014, 01:21:37 PM
Constantine MUST be awesome.

What's his superpower - getting Romans to convert to Christianity?  :D

It's not actually a superhero story, it's a supernatural series. Magicians, demons, monsters and the like.

Viking

Quote from: The Larch on October 16, 2014, 01:33:48 PM

It's not actually a superhero story, it's a supernatural series. Magicians, demons, monsters and the like.

Well his story has super powers and daddy issues. And seriously Maxentius and Maximian are proper comic book names. And of course, the logo.

And like all good comic book stories, death is never final.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

The Larch

Quote from: Viking on October 16, 2014, 01:41:10 PM

Well his story has super powers and daddy issues. And seriously Maxentius and Maximian are proper comic book names. And of course, the logo.

But no coloured underpants and no code names. :p

Viking

Quote from: The Larch on October 16, 2014, 01:47:46 PM

underpants you say?  I see no underpants!
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Ideologue

Quote from: celedhring on October 16, 2014, 12:57:02 PM
You could have never got the stark contrasts between light and shadows that you have in Caligari with the technology of the time. Film stock just didn't have enough dynamic range.

Im teasing. :) A little anyway. Rope's backdrops are actually magic, after all.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Josephus

watched ep 1 of new American Horror Story. So far I liked this season's plotline more than last year's. We'll see where it goes.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

garbon

Quote from: Josephus on October 16, 2014, 05:35:23 PM
watched ep 1 of new American Horror Story. So far I liked this season's plotline more than last year's. We'll see where it goes.

I have mixed feelings. I don't really like freakshows or clowns. Last year was in my sweetspot but it fell apart with terrible writing in the last half.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

FunkMonk

Season 3 of American Horror story was the worst. I'm holding back on watching any of season 4 for now...
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

garbon

Quote from: FunkMonk on October 16, 2014, 05:42:50 PM
Season 3 of American Horror story was the worst. I'm holding back on watching any of season 4 for now...

I agree it was really bad. Premise didn't have to be.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josephus

Quote from: garbon on October 16, 2014, 05:39:43 PM
Quote from: Josephus on October 16, 2014, 05:35:23 PM

I have mixed feelings. I don't really like freakshows or clowns. Last year was in my sweetspot but it fell apart with terrible writing in the last half.

Agree about last year. It started off really well, but by and large crashed midway through. In fact, I'm not sure I made it to the end.

And I too am not a huge freakshow fan, but I like horror, and this was the most horrifying beginning since S.1. Like I said we'll see where it goes.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

celedhring

Quote from: The Larch on October 16, 2014, 01:47:46 PM

Want colored underpants and code names? Ask and Warner shall provide!

http://www.comicvine.com/articles/dcs-upcoming-movies-announced/1100-150092/

Sadly it looks like Vincent Chase won't play Aquaman.

HVC

Saw the Equalizer., it was ok, but nothing special. Denzel's getting old though.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Ideologue

I'll review it, but just in case you were about to step out right this second: Fury is a fucking travesty.  Think twice.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ideologue on October 16, 2014, 08:48:58 PM
I'll review it, but just in case you were about to step out right this second: Fury is a fucking travesty.  Think twice.

I'll wait for the 2nd opinion, doctor.  Not that I don't trust your taste in movies, but, I, don't, trust, your, taste, in, movies.

mongers

Worth a viewing:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b04lcxms/cosmonauts-how-russia-won-the-space-race

Controversial title, but full of beautiful colour archive film of the American space effort, and a great deal of previously unseen or at least new to me, colour film of the Soviet space program. Including quiet a lot of coverage of the 'secret' programmes like their N1 moon rocket.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"