News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

I have no idea how any hetero male could find any Bergman scene painful.

mongers

'Captain Alatriste' - compelling enough a film to keep me up till 6.30am.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

celedhring

Quote from: mongers on October 05, 2014, 12:30:28 AM

I used to work in a soundstage right by the one where they shot part of this thing. I used to have lunch with their extras, who weren't allowed to get out of costume... it was quite the sight having a few sandwiches with 100+ guys dressed as XVIIth century Spanish soldiers.

I think the movies's quite weak though; they crammed most of the books in a single film, and everything feels rushed. Nonetheless, I'm glad you enjoyed a Spanish film, we need more of those.

mongers

Quote from: celedhring on October 05, 2014, 03:26:08 AM
Quote from: mongers on October 05, 2014, 12:30:28 AM

I used to work in a soundstage right by the one where they shot part of this thing. I used to have lunch with their extras, who weren't allowed to get out of costume... it was quite the sight having a few sandwiches with 100+ guys dressed as XVIIth century Spanish soldiers.

I think the movies's quite weak though; they crammed most of the books in a single film, and everything feels rushed. Nonetheless, I'm glad you enjoyed a Spanish film, we need more of those.

:cool:

Yeah, the costumes were great, best hats in a film ever?

I noticed it was rather episodic, but still good viewing.

I'm going to hunt down the books and give them a go. :cheers:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

FunkMonk

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 04, 2014, 07:29:26 PM

Edit: Admittedly Renault's always been a personal hero and, for me, the real heart of that film.

This is the correct opinion. :yes:
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

garbon

Quote from: celedhring on October 04, 2014, 11:10:22 AM
Quote from: Syt on October 04, 2014, 11:01:31 AM
It's a huge denouement from the previous movie, but I don't think it's that bad. It's the weaker of the two parts, but a decent, more quiet wrap up of the story.

Yeah, I admit that I was expecting the same deluge of action and inventiveness that the first one served up, and I felt a bit deflated. Probably not doing the same flick was the right choice, dunno, I really have to watch it again.

Yeah same here. I need to give part two chance, going in with different expectations.

I did that with Marie Antoinette and really liked it the 2nd time around.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

The Purge. Perhaps Ide's perfect movie, as it stars Ethan Hawke and it depicts the rich as being vicious psychopaths.  :P

The premise is too stupid to make for a good sci-fi film, but thankfully they don't spend too much time developing on it. As a home invasion flick, it's passable.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Josquius

Lucy- a stupid film. And not just for the 2012 level pseudo science. But entertaining nonetheless
██████
██████
██████

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Admiral Yi

11B4V

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 05, 2014, 10:04:11 AM

The premise is too stupid to make for a good sci-fi film, but thankfully they don't spend too much time developing on it. As a home invasion flick, it's passable.

:yes:
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

CountDeMoney

Oh, celedhring...found the offense.

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 07, 2014, 03:41:47 PM
Quote from: celedhring on April 07, 2014, 09:07:47 AM
Nah, I agree that Burton's Batmans haven't aged gracefully. Batman Returns was always my favorite anyway.

Congrats, you made The List.(tm)

And you're supposed to be an artist.   :rolleyes:

Ideologue

Batman Returns is my favorite. :)

Anyway, I heartily recommend again everyone go see Gone Girl.

Dial M For Marriage

Gone Girl (2014).   Or misogyny, for that matter.  But, bent toward satire, it's such fun misogyny.  Gone Girl can be everything to all people: it can be the dark comedy with macabre laughs, or the psychological melodrama with teeth, or, maybe best of all, the kind of plot-mechanical thriller Hollywood hardly ever makes since Brian De Palma stopped being good at his job.  Often it is all of these things at once, and it is one of 2014's best.

A+

Cardboard Science: There seems to be a wind blowing in these willows

The Maze (1953).  A soggy mush of a tale, that erupts into a climax so balls-out bonkers that I almost recommend it—but instead I recommend watching the first 20 minutes and the last 20 minutes and ignoring the middle 40.  I assure you that you will be in no manner lost, because that would require SOMETHING TO HAVE HAPPENED.

C+
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ed Anger

I watched Scarface from 1932. Enjoyable.

&
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive