And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

Explorers is really great.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

celedhring

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 30, 2014, 02:44:12 PM
It's even more amazing when you consider the lack of movies about childhood in other foreign film genres.

I don't know, there's loads of Spanish films dealing with it, for example. And quite a few Italian ones, or Japanese, or Russian, or Hungarian, or...

French films are just the best distributed films internationally, that's why people are more familiar with them.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 30, 2014, 02:31:23 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on September 29, 2014, 07:12:57 PM
Leslie Howard's equation of his British accent with a Southern one doesn't work very well and works even less well once he stops even trying.  I never understood why Scarlett was so enamored with a personality-free geezer, either.  Dude was north of 45 and he's not terribly handsome.  Neither's Clark Gable, but at least he could rape you.

...Seriously, GWTW is fucked up.
I read it on the advice a girl I know who called it her favourite book ever.

Never quite looked at her the same way.

Get her a copy of the The Wind Done Gone, see reaction.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Ideologue

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on September 30, 2014, 03:56:17 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on September 30, 2014, 02:31:23 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on September 29, 2014, 07:12:57 PM
Leslie Howard's equation of his British accent with a Southern one doesn't work very well and works even less well once he stops even trying.  I never understood why Scarlett was so enamored with a personality-free geezer, either.  Dude was north of 45 and he's not terribly handsome.  Neither's Clark Gable, but at least he could rape you.

...Seriously, GWTW is fucked up.
I read it on the advice a girl I know who called it her favourite book ever.

Never quite looked at her the same way.

Get her a copy of the The Wind Done Gone, see reaction.

Quote from: Wikipedia"Debt Chauffeur"

:lol: What is this, MAD Magazine?  Not bad, though.

Quote from: mongers on September 30, 2014, 04:10:19 PM
Quote from: Maladict on September 30, 2014, 09:05:56 AM
Quote from: mongers on September 30, 2014, 08:13:51 AM
Is 'Pompeii' worth any of anyone's lifespan? :unsure:

Some people were paid for their time, I suppose.

THAT good.  :hmm:

I also like the song by Bastille.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

So I figured out the final grade, and I decided Menzies' apparently rather profound participation in the project along with a loyal-opposition view on Leigh's flinty performance made it worth talking about--did you know Miriam Hopkins was in the running for the role?  Dang.  Anyway, the main thing is I liked the title I came up with for the review.

Atlanta's still there, should we try again?

B+

P.S. serious, fuck ATL.
Kinemalogue

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Ideologue on September 30, 2014, 03:31:51 PM
Word.  And it had that guy from Gremlins in it as a cop or something.
PDH!

Ideologue

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on September 30, 2014, 05:39:13 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on September 30, 2014, 03:31:51 PM
Word.  And it had that guy from Gremlins in it as a cop or something.

Dick Miller. :)

The Equalizer (2014).  Someone certainly forgot to equalize the damn tone.

Just who was asking for a grim and gritty reboot of Dr. Phibes?

C+
Kinemalogue

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Ideologue on September 30, 2014, 04:34:34 PM
Quote from: Wikipedia"Debt Chauffeur"

:lol: What is this, MAD Magazine?  Not bad, though.

It did survive a copyright lawsuit from a very aggressive Mitchell Estate base on the parody exception, so the comparison is somewhat apt.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Eddie Teach

Constantine. Keanu Reeves plays an exorcist/demon hunter, and Shia La Boeuf plays his sidekick.

It's not as bad as that sounds.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

celedhring

I think the Constantine flick is decent. Stormare as Lucifer is great, and they use several interesting storylines and concepts from the comics. You really can't make a terrible Constantine film unless you're truly incompetent; source material's just too good.

I'm really looking forward to the series, by the way.

CountDeMoney

I like that movie.  Good cast, nice story lines and premise.  It works. B+

Ideologue

Hey, Tilda Swinton, what's not to like?

In Keanews, John Wick looks like it'll be a lot of fun in every other respect but it's color palette.
Kinemalogue

Josquius

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 30, 2014, 01:16:15 PM
Quote from: Tyr on September 30, 2014, 01:13:40 PM
17 Again: High school kid gets his girlfriend pregnant and throws away his life and basketball career for her sake. Grows up to be Matthew Perry 20 years later who the girl then leaves.
Matthew Perry meets a wise old guy he decides to give him a second chance. Mattew Perry stops being Matthew Perry for most of the movie and becomes his young self. To be expected hilarity ensues as he tries to help his kids and make his wife fall for him again. So-so.

Stupid and unbelievable premise.  Not the time travel, but actually repeating the same mistakes with the future Mrs. Ex-Stupid.

Yep.
Turning down the hot Buffy's sister daughter- to be expected.
Turning down the other teenagers throwing themselves at him- unlikely a 37 year old would say no there.
██████
██████
██████

celedhring

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 01, 2014, 11:10:01 AM

See? You should take me off your sig.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: celedhring on October 01, 2014, 11:41:52 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 01, 2014, 11:10:01 AM

See? You should take me off your sig.

He'll do that just as soon as Hans updates his blog.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?