And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

It smells like....victory.

Ideologue

You know, I need to go see Magic in the Moonlight, but it's in the theater on the other side of town.  Ugh.

Apropos of little, Annie Hall's not that great.  It's not bad, really, but it's a real step down for Allen, who'd rarely again be as good as he was in his first five films.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Ideologue

Well, it was apropos of the New Hollywood discussion, till I realized it came out in 1977, and those first five great Woody movies are from the period I say I dislike. :lol:  It is like the most Goddamned 70s thing I ever saw, though.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ideologue on September 22, 2014, 02:53:45 AM
Network (1978).  I may review this formally because it is FUCKING GREAT.  Maybe CDM and I can agree on a non-Wes Anderson movie for once. :lol:

You're getting there.

Quote4)Something like 50% of the films from the New Hollywood era that are supposed to be classics I actively dislike--see Bonnie and Clyde, above, also The Graduate, Bullitt, Robert Altman movies, etc.--or are molasses-slow mediocrities--The Conversation, The French Connection, The Exorcist--so I've avoided a serious education in the period.  And besides, I've been rather ensconced in the 1950s.  My temptation is generally to treat 67-76 as something of a dark age, when everything that is considered great is actually dull or worse, but then Spielberg (and soon Lucas) made everything okay in a kind of renaissance, where the highly-touted movies were once again about cool things like sharks and spaceships.

And then you lose it.

viper37

Blacklist
Starts with a bang. Will it keep the pace or slow down by next week?
Disapointing moment: cliché talk with psychologist.  I suppose if they didn't show this, some would complain it's not realistic of an FBI agent work, but still...  That stuff is creaping into nearly all police tv shows.

Anyone watched Gotham?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Eddie Teach

I saw Gotham. If the dude telling Fish jokes was the Joker, he was pretty underwhelming. Penguin was good though.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

celedhring

Our regional channel has shown the John Adams mini and I liked quite a bit. Are there other Revolutionary War/Early Republic films or series that you would recommend me? It has whetted my appetite for the time period.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Ideologue on September 22, 2014, 10:08:19 PM
Well, it was apropos of the New Hollywood discussion, till I realized it came out in 1977, and those first five great Woody movies are from the period I say I dislike. :lol: 

No kidding.   :D

Just take the mulligan on this.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Admiral Yi

Quote from: celedhring on September 23, 2014, 08:52:31 AM
Our regional channel has shown the John Adams mini and I liked quite a bit. Are there other Revolutionary War/Early Republic films or series that you would recommend me? It has whetted my appetite for the time period.

Amistad was OK.

Josquius

I watched the first episode of something called  Z Nation. It is pretty much a Walking Dead rip off which seems more like a fan made youtube production than a professional TV show. Except for the presence of Michael from Lost and that weird skinny kid I recognise from teen comedies of 10 or more years ago.
██████
██████
██████

celedhring

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 23, 2014, 11:56:20 AM
Quote from: celedhring on September 23, 2014, 08:52:31 AM

Amistad was OK.

Seen that, didn't think much of it. Anything else?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: celedhring on September 23, 2014, 01:25:20 PM
Seen that, didn't think much of it. Anything else?

There's that pretty bad movie with Al Pacino as a Revolutionary War soldier. :)

Admiral Yi

Thought struck me: why has no one ever made a John Paul Jones movie?

mongers

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 23, 2014, 01:29:16 PM
Thought struck me: why has no one ever made a John Paul Jones movie?

There has been, called 'The Song Remains The Same'  :cool:

And more seriously they did apparently:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Paul_Jones_(film)

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"