Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Queequeg on August 14, 2014, 10:51:40 AM
Quote from: celedhring on August 13, 2014, 04:22:09 PM
Quote from: Savonarola on August 13, 2014, 03:42:52 PM
Eisenstein's sound films are laughably bad.  You have been warned.

He'll love Alexander Nevsky.
Ivan the Terrible is legitimately one of the most interesting movies ever made.

Laughably bad indeed was the a cut sequence [spoiler] with Queen Elizabeth played by a man[/spoiler].

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

Ed Anger

Sink the Bismarck!

I got a boner.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ed Anger on August 14, 2014, 06:29:18 PM
Sink the Bismarck!

I got a boner.

As if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced.
Oh wait, it was just the Hood.

CountDeMoney

Good article on Brendan Gleeson, seems "Cavalry" is getting some serious attention.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/movies/la-et-mn-ca-brendan-gleeson-20140817-story.html#page=1

Calvary trailer, for those of you who don't know what it is yet:
http://youtu.be/LGM5rq_vX4U

katmai

I had pleasure of meeting him over a decade ago, was one of nicest actors met.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Josquius

Watching fargo, nearly done, it is very good.
It strikes me.... Very often this show unfolds like a point and click adventure game. There's a bit where Lester has to sneak out of a hospital and then go around silently doing stuff which really does feel like something from monkey island
██████
██████
██████

Ideologue

Got Disney's Hercules yesterday.  Is still awesome.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

11B4V

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 14, 2014, 08:07:41 PM
Good article on Brendan Gleeson, seems "Cavalry" is getting some serious attention.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/movies/la-et-mn-ca-brendan-gleeson-20140817-story.html#page=1

Calvary trailer, for those of you who don't know what it is yet:
http://youtu.be/LGM5rq_vX4U

This will go on the "to watch list"
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Admiral Yi

American Werewolf in London.  This movie is timeless.  They should have put a copy on Voyager.

Josephus

A Million Ways to Die in the west.

I laughed a few times. Not bad.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Josquius

Dog Day Afternoon was on TV last night. It truly is one of the best films ever. It's just so perfectly timed, it doesn't waste half an hour at the start setting up the situation and the characters, it just jumps right into the bank robbery and then sorts that stuff out as it goes along.
██████
██████
██████

Josephus

Anyone seen Coherence? It's on my streaming site feed. Sounds interesting.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

celedhring

Captain America: Winter Soldier is awesome. Loved the 70s style conspiracy plot; the first one probably has more charm but this is easily the best Marvel sequel so far. I mean, superhero movies are not supposed to have actual interesting plots, with enigmas, investigation, twists and shit.

Loved the cameos of minor Cap characters like Zola or Batroc, too.

Syt

Quote from: celedhring on August 16, 2014, 01:11:29 PM
Captain America: Winter Soldier is awesome. Loved the 70s style conspiracy plot; the first one probably has more charm but this is easily the best Marvel sequel so far. I mean, superhero movies are not supposed to have actual interesting plots, with enigmas, investigation, twists and shit.

Loved the cameos of minor Cap characters like Zola or Batroc, too.

So now that you've seen it - you think this format would work for Punisher? ;)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.