News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Quote from: Syt on August 10, 2014, 11:18:02 AM
Captain America: The Winter Soldier. That was actually pretty good. 7.75/10.

On further thought, the action thriller plot, the stronger focus on physical effects vs. CGI overload (climax notwithstanding) give me hope that we might actually see a decent Punisher movie some day, now that the rights are back with Marvel. Hell, make it a TV series.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josephus

Quote from: Tonitrus on August 10, 2014, 09:36:50 PM
The cable at my parent's carries Al-Jazeera America.

Weird as it may be, after watching it a bit, I am just about ready to say it the most balanced, comprehensive, and insightful all-news channel on U.S. American TV these days.

Though that is probably mostly aided by how banal CNN/MSNBC/Fox have become these days.  That bar is definitely pretty low.

I got it on free trial once for  a month and found ti quite good. Strangely, too, when I was in Israel once, someone told me that more Israelis watch it then CNN or BBC.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

celedhring

Quote from: Syt on August 11, 2014, 05:23:00 AM

On further thought, the action thriller plot, the stronger focus on physical effects vs. CGI overload (climax notwithstanding) give me hope that we might actually see a decent Punisher movie some day, now that the rights are back with Marvel. Hell, make it a TV series.

As much as I would love it to happen, Punisher doesn't lend itself well to the megabudget action extravaganzas that Marvel deals in. He's best when dealing with street-level crime, not supervillains. I hope they do something with him at one point, though, he's Marvel's non-pussy version of Batman.

Ideologue

Dig it: Nicolas Winding Refn's The Punisher.  He's only two letters away. :P

Or maybe John McTiernan's The Punisher.  He's out of jail now after all. :D
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Ideologue on August 11, 2014, 08:21:32 AM
Or maybe John McTiernan's The Punisher.  He's out of jail now after all. :D

Yippee kiyay.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

celedhring

Wasn't the main character in the first Pusher film named Frank, too?  :P

That's the only one I've seen.

Gups

Watched the Butler with the missus and 12 year old on Saturday. Enjoyed the first hour but it gradually descended into mawkish setimentality. The kid liked it a lot.

Syt

Quote from: celedhring on August 11, 2014, 08:06:02 AM

As much as I would love it to happen, Punisher doesn't lend itself well to the megabudget action extravaganzas that Marvel deals in. He's best when dealing with street-level crime, not supervillains. I hope they do something with him at one point, though, he's Marvel's non-pussy version of Batman.

While I agree in general there would be some big budget stuff in Garth Ennis' Punisher MAX series.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

celedhring

Michael Clarke-Duncan isn't around to play Barracuda though :(

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Viking on August 11, 2014, 01:06:32 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 10, 2014, 10:40:58 PM
I suspect their English and Arabic versions carry a different editorial line.

They do.

English is a BBC like lefty, liberal and progressive wannabe with a desire to be objective.
Arabic is the channel of the Muslim Brotherhood like Fox is the channel of the Tea Party.

Didn't know you knew Arabic.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tonitrus on August 10, 2014, 09:36:50 PM
The cable at my parent's carries Al-Jazeera America.

Weird as it may be, after watching it a bit, I am just about ready to say it the most balanced, comprehensive, and insightful all-news channel on U.S. American TV these days.

Though that is probably mostly aided by how banal CNN/MSNBC/Fox have become these days.  That bar is definitely pretty low.
The same is true with Al-Jazeera English. It's very, very good.

QuoteIt's odd that our only non-native language channel is in a language not many of our minorities speak
There's hundreds you just don't get them in your area. I remember about 10 Bengali channels alone in Whitechapel.
Let's bomb Russia!

crazy canuck

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 11, 2014, 01:23:44 PM
There's hundreds you just don't get them in your area. I remember about 10 Bengali channels alone in Whitechapel.

Yeah, there are lot of non French and English channels here.  They cater mostly to our large Asian and South Asian communities but there are also channels catering to obscure languages.   Polish for example.  Welcome back Marti.

CountDeMoney

A-J's smartphone app is very good, too.

The Larch

Quote from: celedhring on August 11, 2014, 08:06:02 AM

So, an Arrow style TV show? If Marvel did Agents of SHIELD they're not alergic to the small screen.

Josephus

Under the Dome is getting sillier by the hour
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011