And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on June 06, 2014, 10:39:20 AM
Quote from: Malthus on June 06, 2014, 10:32:57 AM
In an interesting twist, the half-Black sister ends up an heiress when her dad leaves her a pile of cash in her will, while her fully-white cousin/sister is left penniless. Much match-making insanity ensues - the key theme here is the intersection of race and privilege (the protagonist is in the unusual situation of being, in a large sense, more free than her fully white cousin, because she has money - yet she is very visibly Black. Oh what to do?!).

Did it make you check the intersection of your privilege?

I have a full deck of privileges.  :Embarrass: White, straight, married, upper middle class, not disabled, male.

Oh, but I am only half-Anglo.  :D

To its credit, in the movie the protagonist fully realizes how damn lucky she is, though naturally she resents her bizzare status as both aristocrat and half-Black foundling (she can't eat with the family on formal occasions, but she also can't eat with the servants).
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

Quote from: Malthus on June 06, 2014, 10:44:21 AM
I have a full deck of privileges.  :Embarrass: White, straight, married, upper middle class, not disabled, male.

:console: I can come break your legs if it would help.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on June 06, 2014, 10:50:48 AM

:console: I can come break your legs if it would help.

Hey, if I wanted to lose some privileges, I would go transgender and become a lesbian, thank you very much.  :mad:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

celedhring

Just realised that if I moved back to the US I'd lose quite a few of mine. I'd go from white and middle class to being poor and hispanic. I'd probably stay straight though.

Valmy

Quote from: celedhring on June 06, 2014, 11:07:50 AM
Just realised that if I moved back to the US I'd lose quite a few of mine. I'd go from white and middle class to being poor and hispanic. I'd probably stay straight though.

In the bizarre race code of the US Hispanics are welcome to be white so long as they sorta look white at a distance while squinting.  You just have to speak English with an American accent....that part might be tough.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

celedhring

Quote from: Valmy on June 06, 2014, 11:09:41 AM

In the bizarre race code of the US Hispanics are welcome to be white so long as they sorta look white at a distance while squinting.  You just have to speak English with an American accent....that part might be tough.

I do look very white, but my accent is thick as a brick.

Syt

Le Prénom

Childhood friends gather for dinner. To play a joke on his friends, Vincent says that he wants to name his son (his woman is five months pregnant) Adolf. This creates a chain of events that peels away everyone's masks and lays bare all their pent up frustrations and resentments from the last 30 years and airs out uncomfortable secrets.

Also, it's a comedy.

8/10
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Malthus

Quote from: Syt on June 06, 2014, 11:19:50 AM
Le Prénom

Childhood friends gather for dinner. To play a joke on his friends, Vincent says that he wants to name his son (his woman is five months pregnant) Adolf. This creates a chain of events that peels away everyone's masks and lays bare all their pent up frustrations and resentments from the last 30 years and airs out uncomfortable secrets.

Also, it's a comedy.

8/10

Sounds sorta what North Americans assume to be true of all continental Europeans.  :P

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on June 06, 2014, 10:39:20 AM
Quote from: Malthus on June 06, 2014, 10:32:57 AM
In an interesting twist, the half-Black sister ends up an heiress when her dad leaves her a pile of cash in her will, while her fully-white cousin/sister is left penniless. Much match-making insanity ensues - the key theme here is the intersection of race and privilege (the protagonist is in the unusual situation of being, in a large sense, more free than her fully white cousin, because she has money - yet she is very visibly Black. Oh what to do?!).

Did it make you check the intersection of your privilege?

Dont forget son of a university professor

Queequeg

Quote from: celedhring on June 06, 2014, 11:18:48 AM

I do look very white, but my accent is thick as a brick.
If you're blonde, and IIRC you are, you won't be Hispanic. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

derspiess

I read somewhere recently that Hispandexes are increasingly selecting "white" instead of "some other race" which had been the more popular option on census forms. 

I think this was the article: http://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/22/upshot/more-hispanics-declaring-themselves-white.html
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Grey Fox

He's not Mexican nor Puertorican so he would be white, yes.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Valmy

Quote from: Grey Fox on June 06, 2014, 12:25:39 PM
He's not Mexican nor Puertorican so he would be white, yes.

Dude we have Carribbean islanders and Central and South Americans all over.  Dominicans are not considered white generally.

Queequeg

Orange is the New Black is the fucking worst. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Valmy

Quote from: Queequeg on June 06, 2014, 12:27:02 PM
Orange is the New Black is the fucking worst. 

Huh.  Don't like prison ladies?